“good but room service?”

Hotel Doolin
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Doolin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 23, 2011

This was a nice, modern hotel and is the only one in town (actually Doolin is this hotel plus a couple of other pubs). The hotel has a cafe, pub (one of those horrid sports bars), toursit info and a large car-park. The staff are a little offish- I think they have been told too many times that they are the best hotel in town. They forgot to clean our room one day but apologised with 'these things happen'. Our corridor stunk of cannabis for most of the time we were there, I'm just unsure if it was a guest getting stoned or the room service staff having a sneaky spliff- hence the room not being cleaned? We were also a bit annoyed that we asked for a quiet room but were dumped next to the reception toilet which entertained us regularly with hand drier blast noise.

I'm being a little harsh as the breakfast was excellent and its well located for the Burren and the harbour for boat trips to the islands and famed cliffs.

Some of the other boozers in town are more cozy than the hotel pub and do nice food.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brenhell
Donal M, General Manager at Hotel Doolin, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Dear Brenhell,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I have passed your feedback on to the team and we were very disapointed to note some of your damaging comments. Let me first address your assertion that one of our team members was smoking cannabis. This is certainly not true. We do have an extensive herb garden on the property, in quite close proximity to the bedroom corridor, perhaps it was the wonderful smell of fresh herbs drifting through the open windows that caught your attention, however, it most certainly was not a member of staff and we feel it was very irresponsible of you to suggest so on a public forum.
With regards to your other comments, we were very dissapointed that you found our team to be 'stand offish.' We are a small boutique hotel property and staff here are encouraged to be themselves and to interact with our guests. Generally we find this is the case are are often complimented on our friendly service, I am sorry this was not so in your case.
I would be obliged if you would contact me directly at dminihane@hoteldoolin.ie to discuss your review further. Once again, thank you for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Doolin in the future.

Best Regards

Donal Minihane

Reviewed August 21, 2011

There is no category here for "part of a tour group," but that is what I was. I had three pleasant nights at the Hotel Doolin. Rooms were bright and airy, comfortable, quiet at night, clean, nicely appointed. My room had two beds, at least one of them a queen. A plumbing problem was resolved soon after I reported it in the morning. Staff were pleasant and responsive. As I was on a guided tour, I did not need too much from them. I can't judge the value, because the tour operator paid for the room. The breakfasts were good, and servers quietly courteous.

The one unfortunate thing was that our group's last tour-paid dinner occurred in a very, very noisy room right by the bar, with a televised soccer game going on above our heads. I could not hear anyone talk but the person sitting next to me. Nearly all in our group were unhappy with the food that night. I can only suspect that this was a bit of a fluke, because the tour uses this hotel all the time.

The location is certainly good, near the Cliffs of Moher, the boat to the Aran Islands, and the National Park. It is also just a hop, skip and a jump (walking) from some wonderful pubs down the road, where the food, drink and traditional music were great.

Some nice touches were the in-room coffee-making, and the day's newspaper waiting in your room (you could take one free from the lobby on every subsequent day). They had a coin operated internet-ready computer in the lobby, which was pricey, and free Wi-Fi access. As a non-computer-carrying tourist, I would have appreciated a little free hotel wired internet access.

All in all, I would recommend this place as a pleasant, small modern hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Co_ClareFiona, Manager at Hotel Doolin, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2011

Dear Trip Advisor member,
We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at Hotel Doolin. Thank you for your generous comments on your courteous staff, comfortable bedrooms and good food. Our hotel is nicely located for day trips to the Burren, Aran Islands and the Cliffs of Moher and I am glad that you found this to be convenient during your 3 day stay. I gather from your email that you may have had an evening meal in Fitz's bar which is often requested by groups so that guests can enjoy some traditional music while dining and is also an alternative option to the more formal setting of our Chervil Restaurant which you enjoyed on your previous two nights. It would seem that on the night which you dined, there may have been a match of some consequence to other guests and the music may have been deferred until later so apologies for this disruption of our usual service. We were glad to read that the company you travelled with are regular visitors to our hotel and I hope that you will chose to return to us on another vacation.
On behalf of all the Management and staff here, i would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review, your feedback is much appreciated.

Reviewed August 18, 2011

We recently had a large party staying in the Hotel Doolin for a special birthday event. The staff couldn't have done more to make our weekend special. The rooms were modern and spotessly clean. The food was fantastic both in the Restaurant and at the BBQ organised by special request. The feedback from our friends at the party was very consistant - the hotel staff were excellent. Thank you for a memorable weekend.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Trip Advisor member,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your recent review on Trip Advisor. We were very pleased that your birthday event was such a good success and much enjoyed too by your guests. Thank you for your lovely comments on the great food, comfortable rooms and hospitality which you enjoyed during your stay.
We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends and family back to Hotel Doolin for more celebratory events for many years to come.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

The hotel is clean and very nice. A nice breakfast is served in the morning. Free wi-fi is great. Irish music is played in the restaurant / bar .. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Al R
Co_ClareFiona, Manager at Hotel Doolin, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

Dear Trip Advisor member,
Thank you for takiing the time to post your lovely review on Trip Advisor. We were pleased to read that you found our hotel to offer good value for money and that you enjoyed great food and music during your stay. I am glad that you impressed overall with our hotel and that you have recommended it to other members. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again to Hotel Doolin.

Reviewed July 6, 2011

The hotel is relatively new for Doolin. Modern, clean, and in a great location for Doolin. It is a great place to stay and see many of the well known land marks, such as, The Burren, Ferries to Aran Islands, and The Cliffs of Moher. The staff are very courteous and provide a comfortable atmosphere to ask questions regarding the area.

The rooms are very well done and the facility is well maintained. Breakfast in the restaurant is very Irish with a twist. It was one of the only places that had pancakes on the menu. Of course they were actually crepes, but I gave them an A for originality and variety. The restaurant was also very clean and well maintained.

We will return in two years and this place will be a must visit again!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Trip Advisor member,
We were so pleased to read your review and see that our contemporary and modern style at Hotel Dooln really appealed to you. Thank you for your 'A" rating on our pancakes and I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast. We do try hard to keep our hotel well maintained throughout the year and I am glad that you found it to be pleasing to the eye and well looked after. Thank you for recommending our hotel and rating us the Best in West of Ireland, we truly appreciate your compliments.
Your views and feedback have been shared with our Management and staff and we all look forward to welcoming you back again to Hotel Doolin.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

I am surprised at other positive reviews for this hotel was negative
the breakfast was very poor.as for the restaurant appalling
ICE in the middle of my fish.
won't be going there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ggal021

Dear Trip Advisor member,
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. As it is 12 months since you stayed with us, maybe you would like to email me directly at info@armadahotel.com or email me your telephone number so that I may contact you for a bit more information on your stay. We have since recruited a new award winning head chef and also a new carvery chef..... i hope that we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back to us as I am sorry that your experience was not as enjoyable as other reviewers.

Reviewed June 24, 2011

My husband and I stopped 1 night during June. We stayed in Doolin as part of a 2 week trip to Ireland. The Hotel is not very picturesque from the outside but is charmingly decorated inside and does indeed have the feel of a boutique hotel. Our room was very spacious and very clean but the decor could certainly benefit from a lick of paint and some maintaince work in the bathroom. The restaurant was closed (we were offered no explanation or an apology) so we decided to eat in the bar. We have enjoyed some fantastic traditional music throughout our stay in Ireland but the awful wailing that came from the local "artists" that night was truly unbearable - and we weren't the only guests to pass comments!! The food which promised so much on the Menu was our only bad meal during our stay in Ireland. My husband had the irish stew ( left overs from lunch, thrown in a gravy - believe me this was no young lamb either!!) I had traditional bacon and cabbage (this translated as 2 BACON CHOPS? and Packet mash potatoe) Awful truly awful - we complaineded but the boys who served us offered no solution or apology. We had a very peaceful nights sleep with no noise disturbance at all. Very disappointed with the in room tea and coffee - maxwell house???. The breakfast was lovely - fresh produce, lots of variety, beautifully cooked. All the hotel team are very pleasant and welcoming. On checkout our bill was wrong - they had not included our bar bill with drinks and the dreadful meal. We pointed this out and they apologised and thanked us for pointing out their mistake. I wouldn'y stay here again but only because we would travel a different route on our next holiday. I think this could be a great hotel with some simple renovations and maintaince work (Outside furniture horrible iron furniture going all rusty). I would recommend this hotel to other travellers - and after the excellant breakfast I felt very sad we had missed out on the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SecondHoneymooners10

Dear Trip Advisor member,
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor and I am glad that you found your room to be spacious and clean and that you enjoyed a great nights rest. I am sorry that the restaurant was closed during your stay but this was due to the fact that it has just been refurbished. Since your visit, most of our public areas have been freshly painted and this is done a few times throughout the year. It is a little more difficult to get our rooms painted at this time of year as we are busy with guests and we do not wish to have a smell of paint during their stay, but we are very conscious that the hotel receives regular paint touch ups so that it keeps its' fresh appeal for our guests. I am truly sorry that you were disappointed with your meals in our bar and i have brought your views to the attention of our team of chefs. I am glad however, that you loved your breakfast and found everything to be fresh and inviting. Thank you for recommending Hotel Doolin to other members and I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us here in North Clare at a later date.
Fiona Buckley Kitt

Also consider these accommodations in or near Doolin
Ballinalacken Castle Country House
#20 of 46 in Galway
Clybaun Hotel
Clybaun Hotel
#6 of 46 in Galway

Been to Hotel Doolin? Share your experiences!