Ashbrook Lodge Bed & Breakfast
$102
$103
$248
Agoda.com
Aille River Hostel(Doolin)(Great Value!)
Agoda.com
All reviewsminute walksurrounding areavillagehostpubsmohercliffsmusicsuggestionsatlanticensuite
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We loved our short stay in Doolin and at this this beautiful B and B. The owner was extremely nice and very helpful in directing us to the best way to see the Burren and other sites along the route. The bedroom was spacious, as was the bathroom. The breakfast was delicious. It was one of our favorite places to stay in Ireland and I would highly recommend it! Thanks!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mickeym0use
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Booked as a stop-off on the way to the Aran Islands, this stay was a real pleasure. On arrival with kids in tow, we were offered a range of DVDs and made feel so welcome. Just like home from home. Our needs were met and more. The room was extremely clean and comfortable and the ensuite spotless. My children were delighted and actually wanted to stay longer. We were given a fantastic breakfast and the children were delighted with the attention they were given. I noticed that this kind hospitality was not restricted to just family visitors - Olwyn provides beautiful accommodation, impeccable breakfast as well as useful information on local attractions and route guides. As well as this, the rooms provide a view of the ocean and the Aran Islands - beautiful. Perfect start to our holiday.

Room Tip: The dormer room is gorgeous and the windows are equipped with blinds.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Fiona O
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We called for last minute accomodations and were warmly received by Olwyn. The room was thoughtfully furnished, spacious, and the view of the ocean out our window was breathtaking! Breakfast could not have been more beautifully presented or more delicious! We particularly appreciated how helpful Olwyn was. She made some wonderful suggestions without pressuring us, and she seemed completely sincere and genuine. We have stayed in B&Bs for years, and we can honestly say that this was one of our all-time favorites! We actually changed our itinerary and stayed there a second night. When we visit Ireland again, we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Susan Y
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We would not recommend this one. The owner Olwyn greeted us with Am I Expecting You?
We gave our name and she took us up two flights of stairs to a rather nice room, but it had slanted ceilings and we both knocked our heads. The faucets in the shower were very hard to turn on, I had to call in my husband to help, also the tub side was Very tall which made it difficult getting in and out of. I had shampooed my hair, then discovered there are no outlets for hair dryer or curling iron, so I appeared quite frumpy looking for the following day, albeit with clean hair!
We did not see the owner again until breakfast.. Bacon very under cooked, fruit hard, altogether we did not enjoy our one night stay and would not recommend this one. Also we did not see anyone else around.

Room Tip: No first floor rooms and we have no idea how many rooms there are here
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
ashbrooklodge, Owner at Ashbrook Lodge Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Joan J

I am disappointed to read that you were unhappy with your stay in our home. I do remember your visit, and so am very glad to have the opportunity to reply, not only to give some necessary clarification but also to bring some balance to this review.

Firstly, in relation to my greeting on your arrival - our home has three guest bedrooms, and on the evening you stayed with us, we had a full house. I was outside working in the garden when you arrived, and as you did not say you had reservations it was not immediately apparent whether you were checking in or simply looking for availability. This is why I asked, in a friendly and open manner as I recall, if I was expecting you.

All of our rooms are actually on the first floor of the house, to allow for guests to have optimum views. We have a single L-shaped staircase to take all guests to the first floor. As advertised, on our website and with B&B Ireland, we have three Double En-Suite Bedrooms. We don’t have ground floor guest rooms, nor do we advertise that we do.

In relation to the facilities in the bathroom – all Irish bathtubs have a standard side height, except in the case of some antique bathtubs which may be even higher. There was no indication in your reservation that a bath might provide a difficulty for you, and you did not highlight this when shown your room. Indeed, it is a shame that you did not identify this at the time, as I could possibly have offered the alternative of a room with a large shower tray had I known it would have been more comfortable for you. In relation to your point regarding power outlets – it is against Irish building regulations to have power outlets in the bathrooms, so power outlets are not to be found in any Irish bathrooms, as I advised your husband at the time.

This brings me on to your other points. We were at home throughout the duration of your stay with us, I spoke with your husband after your return from dinner when he asked about power points in the bathroom, and I told him where all four double power points in the room were. As I said earlier, the house was full that evening, as was the dining room the following morning where to my recollection you had a lengthy conversation with the other guests. So I feel it is not fair for you to say that you saw neither myself until breakfast, or anyone else for the duration of your stay.

I also feel that some of the things you were unhappy with in our home are down to personal preference. For instance, some people like bacon well cooked, some do not; in the same way some like a warm bedroom, some prefer cool; and some like a firm mattress, some soft. Again, if someone has specific preferences which they don’t identify, it is very difficult to ensure all their requirements will be met.

All this said, it is of course my hope and priority that all visitors to our home are comfortable, relaxed and happy for the short part of their vacation which they spend with us. I am always glad to be of help when I can, such as when I changed your dinner reservations for you, and discussed and tried to help you plan your route to Dingle the following day after breakfast. I work to the best of my ability every day to make sure that everyone who stays with us is happy and well taken care of, and it really disappoints me personally to hear that our home was not for you.

Finally I am happy to say that on the day you departed, we had an inspection from the Irish Tourist Board Accommodation Inspector, and were once again awarded 4 stars. I hope that readers of these reviews will have faith in the inspection system and will also consider the reviews of other past visitors, and make their own judgement on balance should they decide to stay with us in the future.

As always we will do our utmost to extend to our guests a warm welcome, and to make their stay with us a great experience.

With Kind Regards, Olwyn Egan

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We managed to get a room here at short notice, which in hindsight was quite fortunate. The house and rooms are purpose built, so the accommodation is excellent overall. The location is ideal for the famous Doolin nightlife - just a short drive (or a 20 min stroll) to the village centre and pubs. We enjoyed an excellent breakfast next morning, and our host Olwyn was very gracious and hospitable. At €35 per night per person, this was excellent value as a base for this region of Ireland's west.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple