“I thought it was about the scones, but it's about Margaret!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Doolin
Emohruo Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 54 Doolin B&B and Inns
Olive, New York
“I thought it was about the scones, but it's about Margaret!”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Scones. When I read the reviews of Doolin B & Bs, I read about Margaret's homemade scones and right there I decided that's where I wanted to stay on our first night in Ireland. We arrived late, but Margaret welcomed us in with big smiles and immediately I felt at home. We were traveling with a friend, so we had two rooms. Each was spotless! Our room, Margaret called it the previously Blue Room, was huge! A brand new bathroom equally large by en suite standards. We slept like the dead, it was so comfy. You can hear cows mooing in the distance, which I find lovely. The breakfast is like a restaurant would serve, only better. You have choices! Coffee was fresh and plentiful (I swear I had instant in two other b &bs) and my husband and our friend had the Irish breakfast both mornings and it was prepared with love. I don't usually eat oatmeal, but she made the best I've ever had! I wish I'd asked her if it was steel cut oats? Now to the scones: Margaret is an amazing baker. She works hard and it shows. The scones are large and flaky inside, but brown on the outside. I couldn't get enough and she sent us on our way the second morning with scones to go! Delicious even a day later in the back of the car! Margaret is friendly and will chat and makes you feel like she's glad you stayed. Don't get me wrong, almost everyone in Ireland is friendly, especially those in tourism, but she is like an old friend. She even lent me 100 euros because we were short of cash and wanted to go to the Aran Islands that day. Who does stuff like that? We went on to stay in Ballynahinch castle, two other b & bs and the Bewley Hotel in Dublin, but my favorite stay of all was with Margaret Carey!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 967Jan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Hebrew first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Emohruo was very relaxing, clean, beautiful setting and wonderful food. Margaret went all out with her wonderful Irish breakfasts. Our very first two nights in Ireland were spent at emohruo. Margaret had lots of interesting facts and places to go in the area. I recommend the Irish hospitality of Margaret
Dave and Francie Denver, Co

• Stayed September 2013
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was the only B & B we booked for honeymoon and so happy we did. Margaret is an amazing host, a great cook and baker and extremely knowledgeable about County Clare. She goes out of her way to help have an enjoyable trip whether it be what to see, where to eat or the best place to buy the famous woolen sweater. Her home is very inviting and her rooms are extremely comfortable. When we come back to Ireland for another trip we will definitely be back for a visit.

Room Tip: We had the first room on the right.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Margaret is a very dear lady and we were very lucky to stay at her B&B. She's been a B&B host for many years and you can tell! She makes you feel right at home - her scones are to die for! She is a delight to talk to. She goes the extra mile for the people who stay with her. She gave us advice on where to go and how to "bargain" with the locals for the ferry rides. After we were done with our visit - but before we headed out of town, we stopped at the B&B to say good-bye & have tea with her because she was THAT amazing. The room we stayed in was HUGE and so was the bed! I think it was the biggest bed we saw on our whole trip (and comfortable)! It was a true Irish experience! My husband and I HIGHLY recommend staying here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amelia S
Largo, Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2013

After asking Margaret how to pronounce the name of her B&B, she enlightened us that it is 'Our Home' spelled backwards!
The four of us had a very nice stay with Margaret (and Goldie, her golden retriever who welcomed us upon arrival and bid us farewell on our departure). The house is located a quick drive from town (Doolin), with many good places to eat, and to listen to some great Irish music. Margaret welcomed us with hot tea, coffee and scones when we got there..........and served us a wonderful Irish breakfast the following morning. Love that Irish oatmeal.....I mean porridge!
The rooms were spotless, the bathroom and shower-the same.
We would love to come back and spend more time here!
Margaret was full of suggestions as to where to go when we left here. So glad we asked, as we saw some beautiful scenery on our way to Galway. Thank you!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Houston
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Margaret makes you feel right at home and she is very helpful explaining the best options. She directed us to the Doolin Caves for a good tour and enjoyable time. She also shared the best options for local pub food. Breakfast was very good and included the best white and black pudding we had eaten on the trip so far. Close to the cliffs of Mohrer as well. Nice view out the front, and a nice cow pasture behind the facility.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Loved Doolin and really enjoyed our stay here. Margaret was delightful and so accommodating. Everything you expect from an Irish B&B. Spotlessly clean rooms, fantastic breakfast. She makes fresh-baked scones everyday. I could not get enough!!! We were given tea and scones when we arrived in the afternoon, then for breakfast and then she packed up more for a snack later that day! YUM! bedrooms are basic, and very clean. Location is very quiet. They family has cows in the fields out back you can see from your rooms. No "cow smell" though, thankfully! NOTE: this is not walking distance from the pubs. You need to drive to the pubs (3 mins). But that is what makes it a delightfully quiet place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doolin
Cliffs of Moher Hotel
#1 of 5 in Lahinch
Falls Hotel & Spa
Falls Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ennistymon

Been to Emohruo Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!