Review Highlights
Fabulous views, educational, inspiring story on origin of the walk

Reviewed 1 week ago
MT1
Aurora, Colorado
The best way to see the Cliffs of Moher!

scoobyTucson_AZ
Tucson, AZ

All reviews pat sweeney visitor center highlight of our trip bring water local farmers hiking shoes guided walk hour hike his passion o'connor's pub doonagore farmhouse an absolute amazing walk grew up fear of heights breathtaking views catch up
Reviewed 1 week ago

We met up with our group of ~25 folks across the street from O'Connor's Pub in Doolin. Pat Sweeney, originator of the walk, was our "guide" for the day and he was excellent. He gave us a talk on safety along the trail, origin of the walk, etc before we started out. He makes it very clear there are no walls, fences or whatever that will prevent you from walking right up to the edge of the cliffs - just your fear of heights and common sense. He also makes it clear he will tell you in what areas it is safe to approach the edge (if you wish) and in what area it isn't. In those areas he will tell you how close you can safely approach the edge. We were told ~8 people actually lost their lives along the cliffs in the last year ...

A couple comments I would make up front regarding this walk so people have a little more information when looking into it. Full disclosure, my wife and I are both 66. I work out at the gym 6 days/week, my wife walks 3 miles/day and we live (and I hike) in Denver at a minimum of 5k altitude so I believe we are in "reasonable" physical condition.

The web site says "The trail is not a difficult walk" - I would say take that with a grain of salt. While I realize "difficult" is a matter of perspective, be aware there are areas along the walk that involve numerous stairs, just hills with a fair amount of elevation gain, some muddy walking, etc. This is also not a leisurely saunter along the cliffs. Pat is a farmer and walks this route virtually daily and is clearly in excellent shape - I'm guessing a fair number of his customers are not. He walks along at a brisk pace, stopping periodically to talk about various things. With 25 or so folks you can get spread out so you may well miss a lot of the conversation at those stopping points unless you are on his heels. In addition, there are numerous places where you have to cross a ditch, fence line or whatever and it is single file to get over the obstacle. This means it takes some time for everyone in the group to get across and Pat does not stop on the other side to wait for people to regroup, he just keeps going. This meant at times our group was spread out over 50-100 yards or so. Needless to say, this means that all along the route, while Pat is offering commentary on the area, many in the group are not close enough to hear it - a shame. I would offer up two suggestions which I believe could improve his walk and would be greatly appreciated by his customers. First, I suggest he invest in some wireless headphones for everyone to wear so even when you are behind Pat a ways you can still hear his commentary - I think that would be greatly appreciated by his customers. Second, when crossing those single file type obstacles (fences, ditches, etc) wait a short distance on the other side until the entire group is across and regrouped before you continue on.

There is no doubt the views along the route Pat takes you along the cliffs, and the information he provides, are outstanding! He could not be more enthusiastic about this project, which only came to fruition due to his extreme tenacity, and he certainly should be proud of what he has accomplished. He offers you some great insight into the area, his families history on the property, Irish customs, history of the area, etc.

We left the pub around 10:15 and it took us a little over 3 hours just to get to the Cliffs of Moher visitor's center. We took a little break there and then we walked another km or so to get to the school bus that took us back to Doolin. We didn't get back to Doolin until about 3:00 so we were gone about 5 hours total. The bus back cost us a few Euros each which we just didn't know was going to be the case when we set out.

This walk was definitely one of the highlights of our 16 days in Ireland, and it helped that we had spectacular weather that day - lots of sun and no real wind. The views along the cliffs are spectacular, Pat's commentary (when you are close enough to hear it) is wonderful and his enthusiasm undeniable. I think a few minor changes to how Pat does the walk could make it even better. We would highly recommend this activity.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We had a beautiful but wet walk along the cliffs of Moher with the intention of catching the 2.30 shuttle bus from kilconnell. We arrived at 2.32 and no sign of the bus. We then rang the doolin visitors centre to ensure that the bus was still running They said yes it was but that they had no way of contacting them. Very unhelpful. We then hot a spin from a local farmer into Liscannor where we had fabulous food in Vaughans. The girl even put our wet coats by the fire! Thank you! We headed up to the bus stop for the ten to four bus at twenty to four for fear he would be early and again no sign of any bus. We contacted to tourist centre again and the girl gave us the numbers for the shuttle service.
I am sorry to say that both men I spoke to were rude and unhelpful. They went on the attack straight away and insisted their buses were at the stops at the times. I was the one standing in the cold and rain there was no bus. Eventually the bus came at twenty past five Our whole day gone wandering around waiting for the shuttle.
So much for the wild Atlantic way which is so famous now and is a must see in Ireland
Tourists would be better staying in the east where I am from. At least we will be where we say we will be and won't be saucy about it.
The bus driver kept saying he was there making a liar out of me and then charged us full price to go back to the car park
If you make a mistake at least be honest about it People will respect you more.
Very disappointing.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The town of Doolin is adorable and Pat Sweeney is a great guide! The views are magnificent and you get to see the real Ireland, not just the tourist stuff. It's windy and you need good walking/hiking shoes.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

If everyone had Pat’s enthusiasm, pride in community and Co.Clare the world would be a better place.
Put yourself in his hands for a unique walk along the Cliffs of Moher as never seen before. It was our privilege to spend 4hours with him.
This is simply a Must Do walk.
Brigid and Conor

1  Thank Brigid O
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Walk was good. Took a couple of hours. We had a 5 year As it was October we needed hats, scarves and gloves. Would suggest wearing hiking boots as parts were mucky. Some hills and steps along the way. Trail had the most amazing views.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I joined about 18 other people to do the hike from Gus O'Connor's Pub to the Cliffs of Moher (8 km walk). Beth was our leader the day we took the hike, since Pat was bringing another group down from the Cliffs of Moher (the opposite direction). The walk (which is really a hike) was fantastic! Wear durable shoes and comfortable clothing, and bring water. A walking stick (or 2) would be helpful as well (as you do traverse some areas where it would be helpful). You get very close to the cliffs walking on the path Pat and the local farmers created -it was awesome! Beth was a terrific guide and led us all at a comfortable pace, and we had 2 lovely French gals as our sweepers at the back. We learned a lot about the area and our only disappointment was not getting a chance to meet Pat.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a wonderful time with Patrick and his co-lead on the Cliffs of Moher walking tour. We met outside O'Connors Pub in Doolin. Patrick came at 10 am and brought his co-lead, Charlie. There were 20 of us who took off after an interesting talk by Pat highlighting the community's efforts to create a waking trail along the Cliffs of Moher. The entire hike through some challenging terrain and return by bus took 4 hours. We were glad to bring some nuts and water for sustenance. But, the views were incredible and our guides were very attentive helping each of us over some tough spots. While on the hike, Pat made sure that all participants gathered around for his insights which were very interesting and sometimes entertaining. Pat and Charlie did a great job keeping tabs on all 20 of us, even as we went through the jammed visitor center area. We were so happy that we took this tour rather than just drove to the visitor's center to walk in a contained area with the 18 tourist packed buses that were there when we were trying to get to our return bus. The only recommendation that we would make to Pat would be to post the return cost of the bus since we did not bring that amount of cash... 5 euro... with us. We highly recommend this hike!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Now this is how to not just to see--but experience The Cliffs!!! Thank you Patrick for an amazing hike and the land where you grew up and live today! We haven't stopped talking about it. And the extra wind made it even more of an adventure fun!

Note: This hike is truly amazing - but it is not for the faint of heart. It will take you out of your comfort zone (which I love but recognize not all do!). This is also a fast clip hike - not a leisurely stroll (again, why I loved this) or stopping every 5 minutes for a talk. Dress appropriately for the weather and hike. In all, the hike is about 31/2 hours /4 hours total. It is worth it!!! My husband and I work out everyday and we were exhausted- LOL.

Reviewed October 8, 2018 via mobile

This hike was a wonderful experience, it is not to be missed. It requires a little bit of fitness though, as you are trekking uphill occasionally but it was so worth it. We were surrounded by nature, and it was breathtaking. Pat provided so much cultural history because he was born and bred there. It was really the highlight of our trip. It is a few hours long and you will need waterproof shoes.

Reviewed October 4, 2018

The walk was a bit challenging, but so invigorating and breathtaking!! The views were phenomenal and Pat's narration was a bonus. I would highly recommend doing the walk when you visit the lovely village of Doolin.