“Just a treat”
Review of Rainbow Hostel

Rainbow Hostel
Ranked #4 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Doolin
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Rainbow is a family you would like to have: very caring without being intrusive. They do care for their guests as well as for their village and environment. Matti takes you out on tours,gives you a slide-show of the surroundings and shows you the best places to collect stones. Carmel is present when you need her, she has always a good word and is ready to do her best to make you comfortable.
I was there in February and it was very warm and cosy, with a turf fire in the evenings. I am not a usual Backpacker as I have packed already fifty years on. But this hostel goes with any age.
Prices for private rooms are good value and I can recomment this hostel together with the Burrens and lovely Dooling fully. Do stop there, you won't regret.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Good hostel overall. Located right across from the bus stop, good self catering kitchen and cozy common area. The one downside was I couldn't connect to wifi the whole time I was there. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank TaraP9
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My wife and I drove over to Doolin on a whim en route to Sligo and could not have been happier. I had seen the Rainbow Hostel online while doing a little research on the area and so we just drove right to it.

We stayed in one of the double rooms which was warm, clean and cozy. The common room was toasty the whole time with a turf fire burning. We made a simple meal in the kitchen and then Mattie gave us a slide show of the region which was extremely informative and which gave us ideas for things to see on the following day. I have a two degrees in geology and I can tell you that everything he says is accurate.

After that we headed out to hear the local Irish music at the pubs. In the morning, Mattie gave us a map with some sights marked on it, which made for a very pleasant and unexpected day of sightseeing.

My wife and I highly recommend staying here -- even for the slightly older crowd such as ourselves.

Room Tip: Wireless is available in the pubs in the village.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I absolutely loved it. It was more hotel quality then hostel quality and in a perfect location. There is a lovely common room and kitchen for guests. The owners are so friendly and really want you to feel welcome and to enjoy yourself. The common room is gorgeous and very cosy.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This has been the most pleasant of hostel stays we have ever experienced.Mattie and Carmel are the perfect hosts making us feel very much at home, relaxed and warm and comfortable.Mattie gave a very informative talk and showed slides of the local area. He answered any questions and had a fantastic knowledge of the area and what to do. Carmel welcomed us in the mornings with home baked scones and a smile. Rooms were very warm,showers and toilets clean and modern and plenty of room for the luggage. This is a home away from home and I would highly recommend this hostel

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I have stayed here with my partner for 3 nights in September on a 3-weeks travel through Ireland.
I have been to maney hostels but I must say that this is one of my favourites.
The people who run it are very friendly and helpfull.
The double room is very spacey and clean with a nice bathroom, the kitchen is a very spacey and clean place to cook. My favourite area was the common room, after a cold day out in Doolin it is wonderfull to return to a warm/ cozey common room and warm your hands by the fireplace.
I recommend this place to everyone who visits Doolin, no matter what the age is!
Thanks for having such a nice stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Carmel and Mattie are wonderful, friendly and knowledgeable people who will help you feel right at home in this hostel. They also own the B&B next door, so if they are not at the hostel when you arrive, check next door. We found the hostel clean, neat and quiet when we were there (mid-September), and although they were having trouble with the wi-fi in the rooms, there was wi-fi in the common room and it worked fine. They also had a fire lit as the weather was cool with rain and fog, and it felt very cozy and welcoming. Even though I think the hostel was fairly full, it never felt crowded. The bus stop to take you back to Galway is right across the street, which is very convenient if you're backpacking. You do have to walk a bit to get to the dock where you can take the boats to the Aran Islands or the Cliffs of Moher, but it is a nice walk, and there is a pub close by, which is convenient if you want to have a meal before heading back to the hostel after exploring the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doolin
The Hydro Hotel
#2 of 20 in Doolin
The Lodge, Doolin
The Lodge, Doolin
#29 of 56 in Doolin

Been to Rainbow Hostel? Share your experiences!