“Cool beachy town”

Doolin Inn & Hostel
Ranked #1 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Doolin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Doolin is a funky little town with the pier a 15min walk from the hostel and cliffs of moher a 15min drive away.
We had an ensuite room at the hostel which was spacious and could sleep 5.
Nice communal lounge room with tables, couches and a TV.
The hostel has a cafe attached which would have been nice to use but it wasnt open.
A couple of shops and a nice pub a couple of minute walk, the pub did amazing food.
When we found doolin hostel and booked online, it said breakfast included was continental with freshly baked bread and scones each day. We were very disappointed in the morning to discover rice crispies, cornflakes and a loaf of store bread

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kasha B
DoolinHostel, Owner at Doolin Inn & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Kasha
Thank you for your review and delight you enjoyed Doolin over the New Year, its always a great time of year to visit and the music in the pubs is always excellent, I will pass on your compliments to O'Connors pub where you ate.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay in our hostel and found your room spacious and enjoyed the communal areas. Thank you for the feedback on our free continental breakfast, it is something we only added in November as the cafe was not viable to keep open during the winter months. I am currently updating the website and other 3rd party sites to make our offerings clearer.

The free continental breakfast includes Tea, Coffee, Choice of Cereals, Milk, Variety of Seeds, Fresh Fruit, Orange Juice, Cranberry Juice, Toast, Butter and Preserves

I can understand your disappointment as Deirdre does some wonderful baking and it is reopening in mid April 2014. Focusing on great baking and local produce.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

This review is quite late as I stayed here in 2008 but I was recently thinking about my travels and fondly remembered my two nights at the Doolin Hostel. I was travelling by myself at the time and booked a bed at the Doolin Hostel. I have stayed in hostels all over Europe and this was one of the best experiences that I have had. The owner was extremely friendly and helpful (I'm not sure if he is still involved in the Hostel, but he was a gentlemen from the Czech Republic). He directed me to a bike rental service, ferry to the Aran Islands, the best pub to watch the Champions League Final in, as well as how to get myself to Galway. What really struck me was that I purchased an early morning bus ticket to Galway and was waiting outside at the bus stop, he came out and brought me a chocolate and we talked about hockey, family, and travel as I waited for my bus. It was a very warm, and welcoming experience, which is typical of the treatment that I have received travelling through Ireland. Thanks for the wonderful memories!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear Micheal

Thank you for your wonderful review, if I see David I will pass on your compliments and my father Paddy who you meet when you where here last. I am Paddys son and have taken over the properties since February 2012 and have been renovating and improving the properties every since.
Hopefully we will get to have you stay in the future with us again.

Regards

Reviewed November 19, 2013

My mother and I stayed here while in the charming little town of Doolin. It's a nice location, walking distance to most of Doolin's shops as well as one of the Pubs offering daily live entertainment. It's also a short walk to a gorgeous golf course and the Pier. From there you can watch the sun set over the cliffs of moher or take a ferry out to Aran Island. The hostel was a comfy place to come back to at the end of the day. The kitchen is the best stocked kitchen I have encountered anywhere and incredible impressive for a hostel. The morning breakfast is basic but was sufficient for us. The cafe serves great lattes and the hot chocolate was to die for. I would stay here again and have already recommended it to a family friend.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
DoolinHostel, Owner at Doolin Inn & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Erica

Thank you for your review and for the recommendations to friends. Happy to hear you enjoyed our kitchen facilities and since you stayed with us we have added more options to our continental breakfast which is available complimentary in the kitchen from 7.30-10.30am

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Doolin is a charming town with lots of options for lodging. I booked two nights here, solo. The owner Anthony could truly seem to care less when I checked in. Was an unpleasant way to start a stay alone somewhere. His wife was nice & another chap who worked there, too. Location is good & the bus stops right in front. Private room was okay, though no air flow unless stood on bed & opened a window. I'd recommend it for location & their cafe, which one does not need to stay there to enjoy sitting outside. However, when I return to Doolin, I'll be staying elsewhere.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
DoolinHostel, Owner at Doolin Inn & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Brigantia

Thank you for your review although I am sorry to hear that I did not meet your expectations on arrival. I am sorry but I do not recollect our interaction last May, but I am glad the rest of your interactions at the hostel where positive and you enjoyed our Cafe.

If you are in the area again please do call in for a coffee as I would love to chat to you or if you wish to give us another chance please stay. We have a variety of different room types with different view and window sizes which I am sure we can accommodate your needs, plus we have added some more improvements since your last stay and will continue to add more in the future.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband has stayed in hostels in Europe before but it was my first time and I was very pleasantly surprised! The staff was very friendly and accommodating, the room was clean and spacious and the hostel itself was in a great location and had a lot of amenities. We were only able to stay 2 nights but I would definitely recommend this hostel and I would love to visit again

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear BeachChick

Delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us especially as it was your first stay in a Hostel. Sorry to hear you could only stay two nights, but on the bright side you will know better for next time.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Unfortunately we had just one night in Doolin. If we had known how beautiful the hostel is, we would have planned on staying a few nights more!
Delicious coffee and pastries in the little cafe in the reception room. The kitchen (Beatles-CDs and so much more are provided) and the lounge are great! Also the owners and staff helped us out very patiently and were welcoming!
We will definitely come back! Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kirk

Thank you for your praise and so happy to hear you enjoyed the hostel and our little cafe so much. Unfortunately your issue of only staying one night in Doolin is a common one as there is so much to see and do in and around our little village, at least for next time you will know better and we look forward to having you.

Kindest regards

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed here on the recommendation of Rick Steves guidebook. We weren't sure what to expect. We found the hostel to be very clean and comfortable for our family of 4. The family room had 2 sets of bunk beds and a double. I was able to do some laundry. The tiny town of Doolin was to the left or right of us, comfortable walking distance to all the pubs. There were guests of all ages - but mostly young adults.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
DoolinHostel, Owner at Doolin Inn & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear DJ

Happy to hear we lived up to Rick Steves recommendation and that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us so much and found great comfort in one of our family rooms. Great to hear you enjoyed our little village of Doolin so much.

Anthony

Also consider these accommodations in or near Doolin
Hotel Doolin
#29 of 56 in Doolin
Doolin View B&B
Doolin View B&B
#11 of 56 in Doolin

Been to Doolin Inn & Hostel? Share your experiences!