“An oasis after days of traveling”

and 1 more site!
Ballinalacken Castle Country House
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Doolin
Lenexa, Kansas
“An oasis after days of traveling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

On our recent trip to Ireland, my husband and I had booked all nights but one in advance, not sure where we would end up after visiting the Cliffs of Moher. The night before we headed to the cliffs we did some research on the Internet and were fortunate to land a room at Ballinalacken. After many days of driving around the country, this beautiful country setting was heaven sent. The hotel itself is lovely, the staff friendly and helpful, the food scrumptious, and the view of the sunset into the sea that night was incredible. We stayed in the suite with the glassed-in octagonal breakfast nook which was comfy with a commanding view. One of the best parts was the personal tour of the original castle given by Declan O'Callaghan - my favorite castle experience in all of Ireland! My only regret is that we had only one night to stay. It was so peaceful and relaxing, and such a scenic yet strategic location, I wish we could have stayed longer. Would love to go back!

1 Thank Orts2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed here with six ladies to celebrate a birthday the end of June. Cecilia is a welcoming hostess. The rooms are spacious, great mattresses so a good nights sleep had by all. We met Michael the chef early in the afternoon and told him we were hoping for a good meal. He did not disappoint. It was the best dinner we had in a long time-a varied menu- good ingredients expertly cooked so congratulations to the chef. The waiting staff were very attentive, house wine very good. After dinner we took a stroll in the moonlight and the views when you go out the avenue and turn right are breath-taking.
If you want a quiet location with good quality food and accommodation but near all the delights of the Burren, Ballinalacken is the place for you.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
CeciliaDoolin, Manager at Ballinalacken Castle Country House, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Marguerite
Thank you for lovely review.We are glad youand friends had a lovely meal and enjoyed your stay.Its great to have guests return to us.We hope to see you soon again and thank you for booking direct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

We had spent the previous night at Ashford Castle so Ballinalacken had a tough act to follow. It measured up and even surpassed Ashford in many ways. Dinner was better than the one we'd had in the posh George V dining room at Ashford and the hard-working staff was unfailing cheery. Proprietors Cecelia and Declan couldn't have been more solicitous even upgrading our room unasked to a beautiful suite with a glass walled semi-circular sitting room. When we arrived it was raining and foggy, but the next morning was brilliant and we had a breathtaking view of the Cliffs of Moher through our window. Declan gave us a tour of a well-preserved castle on the property and with his explanation, I finally understand how people could live in tall, round house.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hello Guests
We are honoured that you believe we are better than Ashford Castle.This makes all the hard work rewarding.Glad you enjoyed our half suite room 16 with its fab views.This room with its panoramic views can only be booked direct with hotel.
We do hope we will see you or your friends back with us again
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

We had an excellent visit here. We only wished we had been able to stay more than one night. Our rooms were beautiful and the food was delicious. The personal attention by The O'Callaghan family was superb. I would love to go back for an extended visit.

Stayed June 2014
Hello Nancy
Thank you for your review.We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we do hope you will return
for a extended stay soon.Thank you also for booking direct with hotel
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

Sometimes in life you get lucky. As you travel you come across places that become more like another home than just a place to stay. And sometimes the owners of those places become family, instead of just the proprietor of the inn. I have come across a few of those in my travels, but they have been extremely rare. On my recent trip to Ireland I may have found another, the Ballinalacken Castle Country House, outside Doolin, Co. Clare. To a person the staff was welcoming, engaging and repeatedly helpful. The region around Doolin (western Clare) has a huge amount to offer -- the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher, daytrips out to the Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer). The owners -- Declan and Cecilia O'Callaghan -- make certain that materials describing each (and more) are readily available and both are ready at a moment's notice to supplement with their own advice. But there is more to it than that. Each morning as Cecilia served breakfast or brought coffee to the table she would ask what my plans for the day were, took a genuine interest and was ready to help provide supplementary thoughts if asked. In the evenings when I came back from the folk festival I was attending I had a great chat with Declan about who had performed during the day, who was performing the next day and had a great education about the background of some participating and great insights on who to listen for the following day. Because of my schedule, regretfully I was only able to eat one evening meal during my stay, but the food was excellent, the service personal and the discussion, if I had questions, enjoyable. It was much more like going to visit a close cousin, than being in the normal inn. My room was outstanding, the view great (photo below) and the wi-fi connection (a big issue with me) perfect. The morning breakfasts (photo below) were outstanding enough I shared pictures with friends to make them jealous. Can't recommend this place enough -- unless you happen to be traveling there when I want to and are taking the last available room, then stay away (hahahaha).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
CeciliaDoolin, Manager at Ballinalacken Castle Country House, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Hello Brad
Thank you for the glowing review .It was a pleasure to have you stay with us
We hope you will be back next year for the festival.Glad you enjoyed the views from your room.
Thank you for booking direct with hotel
Until we meet again
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

Thanks you Cecilia and Declan for a wonderful stay. Enjoyed all aspects of our stay - the comfortable room with amazing views of the sea and Aran Islands, the sumptuous food, friendly service and of course the tour of your own private Castle and the amazing views when we got to the top of it.WOW!
I'll definitely be back.
Tip - If you are a walker, there is the most incredible walk into the burren region from just outside the front gates. I think it's called the Green Walk or something like that.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CeciliaDoolin, Owner at Ballinalacken Castle Country House, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Hi Ronan
Thank you for review.We are glad you enjoyed your room with seaviews.We provide all our rooms with seaviews for customers who book direct with hotel and avoid expedia ,booking.com sites.
The walking route beside the hotel is the famous Burren Way walk and the views are panoramic.
Do call again soon
DEclan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Our daughter booked a night away for my birthday to Ballinlacken as a surprise - and what a surprise it was! Just 5km outside of the village of Doolin by the Cliffs of Moher, I spotted the castle from the website high above and the lovely house just below it. A sweeping drive took us up to a world away from all of life's stresses and strains. Gorgeous décor and furnishings all in keeping with the original house, and the loveliest young lady to greet us on arrival. She was so friendly and showed us the dining room, drawing room and bar, all fabulous. The view from our room took our breath away and the room itself was bright, well decorated and large with wonderful soft furnishings and covers and such a comfy bed! The bathroom had a bath with stand in shower and everywhere was spotless. We ordered a drink from our lovely red headed lady (I feel so bad I forgot to ask her name!) and sat in the lovely reception area/drawing room looking out at the ocean, then sat outside for a while before we were given a tour of the castle by the owner before dinner. I must confess although brilliant, my fear of heights got the better of me and I couldn't make the final view at the very top, what a treat though! Dinner was wonderful. We used the opportunity to try things we hadn't had before including Escargot, Scallops and Quail and we were not disappointed! Served with a selection of breads, good wine from an extensive list and first class service, we couldn't have asked for more and we took our drinks outside to watch the sun go down over the Atlantic. Ballinalacken captivates you and while we had fully intended to go into Doolin for the night, we decided to stay put and enjoyed relaxing in the traditional bar with Mr O'Callaghan senior talking about the start of the hotel and the old days before retiring to one of the best night's sleep I have ever had in a hotel. We awoke to the sun over the ocean and went to a super breakfast selection, all impeccable. Our hardworking red head was back again, always smiling and so courteous and caring. We regretfully checked out early for sightseeing, but you can be sure we will be back as soon as we can. A 12 room hotel, everything is so relaxed and personable, you can't help but be enchanted. The castle in the grounds may have belonged to the O'Brien clan, but the hospitality crown is definitely worn by the O'Callaghan family and their hard working, amiable red head!

Room Tip: Room 15 has a spectacular view of the Atlantic as you lay in bed!