“Great stay in Doolin!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Half Door B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Doolin
Half Door B&B
Ranked #12 of 53 Doolin B&B and Inns
Ashland, Oregon
“Great stay in Doolin!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

It's hard booking a place in another land, even with Rick Steve's help, but I got it right when we stayed at the Half Door B & B in Doolin, Ireland. Most important, it's walking distance from the best pubs, McGann's and McDermotts. And you need to be close after a night of Guiness. It's spacious with great views, colorful, the mattresses and pillows are fluffy, the breakfast varied and delicious and our host very helpful. The sunroom is great place to sit with friends or potential friends. Doolin and the Half Door was our best stay on our short trip to beautiful Ireland.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank melody1028

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

The perfect place for us! Clean, comfortable & a perfect location. We were in Doolin to listen to music & only had to walk one block to find a great pub (McGanns) with Irish music. We closed the place up & then walked back to the Half Door, no driving to worry about. Breakfast was made exaclty to order, served hot & fresh.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Bedford, NH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

We were fortunate that Anne Hughes had the one remaining triple room in Doolin the night we arrived without prior reservation. The accommodations were all we wished them to be, and best of all was breakfast. Be sure to request an omelet - it was the tastiest breakfast of our two weeks in Ireland.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Ames, Ia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

We had an excellent overall experience here. The proprietor was very welcoming and helpful, concerning everything from the best walking path (we recommend walking down to the ocean) to area tours and of course, the local pubs and music. It was a very nice attractive room, all wood and charming. We found it useful that they had a computer in the hallway for guest use - much appreciated. The breakfast was excellent - terrific pancakes! Would love to come back some time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2010

I stayed at the Half Door this July rather than camp with friends who were in Doolin for a birthday bash - not a pretty weather forecast. The room - pokey, two teeny beds - was fifty euros. NOT the pictured pretty room, although I was the only guest. Landlady saving on sheet washing? I digress.

My stay went fine til Sunday morning, when I awoke in the twilight zone. I'd overslept, see, and awoke to the landlady was banging at the door and yelling. I jumped out of bed - was the bawling precipitated by a fire? Invaders? I soon figured from the yells and banging that in fact the crisis was that it was fifteen minutes after checkout time, and I was still there.

I'd told the lady the night before that I would sleep in the next day. She was sweet as treacle, and considered accommodating me with a late breakfast. Hence my shock at her gestapo wake up. In fact, even if I hadn't told her I'd be sleeping late, I'd still be shocked at her language - not typical service industry treatment.

I jumped into the shower. As I stood towelling off, again the flimsy door quivered with the landlady's pumelling fists. "If you're not out of there in five minutes, I'm coming in!!" she threatened. I scrambled to find my underpants, my mind reeling with disbelief.

A few minutes later, I packed my bags, plucked up my courage, and opened the door. There, the lady of the house hovered, a concentrated wraith of indignity. I opened my mouth to protest at her violent methods, but she beat me to it, and what she said was so surprising, I lost my tongue.

"I'm VERY disappointed in you" she announced, eyes burning. I tried to tell her how rude her treatment was, but she was not in a listening mood.

She was still yammering unpleasantries after me when I pulled the front door shut, hopped in my car, and headed to O'Connors for an excellent full breakfast. (I also recommend their seafood chowder.)

PS: I gave this place a 2 star review coz it had hot water (though you could not control the temperature of the hot water) and as I've gotten good mileage telling the story of that horrible morning to friends.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank damuse
half12, Owner at Half Door B&B, responded to this review, July 23, 2010
Breakfast is served from 8.30am - 9.30am at the Half Door B&B, The guest had been made aware that last breakfast was 9.30am and we expected him at that time, He did not show, however knowing that he had been out late and partying we left him until 10.00am when i knocked on his door, called him by name and told him that it was last call for breakfast, he grunted. I kept the breakfast warm for him until 10.30am still intending to give it to him should he arise, i knocked again and got no response this time so i closed the kitchen and dining room. The last of our other guests checked out at 10.30am which is the check out time. At 11am, and a half hour after check out still no sign of life, so i knocked again, this time i said "its 11am and we need the room soon can you please get ready to leave". I carried on with my work until 11.30am when i had all work completed and needed access to his room in order to get laundry, cleaning etc carried out. I knocked for the third time...no reply at first so i knocked harder, it was clear from his response that he was still in bed, when i asked him to vacace the room he argued with me in fact he said "why do i need to leave, is there someone out there who needs to come in here right now" I explained clearly why i needed access to the room. He THEN showered and it was exactly 11.45am, I hour and 15mins after check out when he vacated the room and my only response after all of that was that i was disappointed... i didnt even add "in you"
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

The B&B owner, Anne Hughes was very accommodating to our needs. The rooms were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. We all slept very well and awoke refreshed and eager to eat the wonderful breakfast that Anne provides. We could walk to two pubs with traditional Irish music. Doolin is about a 20 minute drive to the Cliffs of Moher and a 10 minute drive to the ferry to go to the smallest Aran Island Inishmeer. A wonderful island that is just the perfect size to get around. The return trip took us by the Cliffs of Moher so we were able to see the cliffs from above and then from the sea. Great treat and Anne helped us get a late reservation to the trip. Great place to stay

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

We drove to the VERY rural west of Ireland to visit the Cliffs of Moher on 25/06/2010. We found the Half Door B&B through TripAdvisor and very fortunately for us were not put off by the only negative review in TripAdvisor, because our experience could not have been better. As a matter of fact, to the contrary, the greeting by Anne (the very personable proprietess) was very friendly and made us immediately feel like a part of her family. This itself was pleasant as we never stay at B&B's and didn't quite know what to expect. The rooms were spotlessly clean, secure, comfortable and very quiet. It is within walking distance of the much lauded (rightly so) pub experience in Doolin. There is no on-site restaurant, as such, but Anne has an extensive (included) breakfast menu which she prepares to order. One may make tea and coffee any hour day or night. The B&B does NOT accept credit cards, but the prices are reasonable and there is a monetary exchange just down the street and an ATM (limit €120) in the visitors' center at the Cliffs. Altogether, if this area is your destination, you could not have a better experience. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family