“Extra Care”
Review of Half Door B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Doolin
Half Door B&B
Ranked #16 of 56 Doolin B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We were happily accommodated here last summer. Our hostess was forthcoming with welcome advice for our stay in Doolin and assisted us in planning our next move. Good breakfast and a warm gathering room. Anne was extremely considerate, evening leaving a note on the door when we left the lights on in our rental car.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed October 27, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Half Door on our recent anniversary trip to Ireland. Doolin is a very small, but cute village and a great place to slow down. The B&B is an adorable little place and we were glad we had decided on it. Parking was free and right behind the building. No one was there when we arrived, but there is a phone on the porch area with a speed dial to her phone. They promptly arrived, showed us our room and around the B&B. You choose your breakfast the night before, as is pretty customary in Ireland, and then it is ready for you when you come down in the morning. The choices they had were a nice change to what we had been served at the previous B&B's and very tasty! There was free wi-fi in the house which was really nice but our favorite part of the house was the living room area. It was a nice, quiet place to relax during the day, watch a bit of TV, talk to other travelers and use the wi-fi. The B&B is within walking distance to two pubs that I can remember. As we were packing the next morning, we heard cows moo'ing and there was a farmer herding his cattle down the lane in front of the B&B! It made my day! We'll definitley stay here again - great place - great price!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2010

It's hard booking a place in another land, even with Rick Steve's help, but I got it right when we stayed at the Half Door B & B in Doolin, Ireland. Most important, it's walking distance from the best pubs, McGann's and McDermotts. And you need to be close after a night of Guiness. It's spacious with great views, colorful, the mattresses and pillows are fluffy, the breakfast varied and delicious and our host very helpful. The sunroom is great place to sit with friends or potential friends. Doolin and the Half Door was our best stay on our short trip to beautiful Ireland.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank melody1028
Reviewed August 1, 2010

The perfect place for us! Clean, comfortable & a perfect location. We were in Doolin to listen to music & only had to walk one block to find a great pub (McGanns) with Irish music. We closed the place up & then walked back to the Half Door, no driving to worry about. Breakfast was made exaclty to order, served hot & fresh.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We were fortunate that Anne Hughes had the one remaining triple room in Doolin the night we arrived without prior reservation. The accommodations were all we wished them to be, and best of all was breakfast. Be sure to request an omelet - it was the tastiest breakfast of our two weeks in Ireland.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We had an excellent overall experience here. The proprietor was very welcoming and helpful, concerning everything from the best walking path (we recommend walking down to the ocean) to area tours and of course, the local pubs and music. It was a very nice attractive room, all wood and charming. We found it useful that they had a computer in the hallway for guest use - much appreciated. The breakfast was excellent - terrific pancakes! Would love to come back some time.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I stayed at the Half Door this July rather than camp with friends who were in Doolin for a birthday bash - not a pretty weather forecast. The room - pokey, two teeny beds - was fifty euros. NOT the pictured pretty room, although I was the only guest. Landlady saving on sheet washing? I digress.

My stay went fine til Sunday morning, when I awoke in the twilight zone. I'd overslept, see, and awoke to the landlady was banging at the door and yelling. I jumped out of bed - was the bawling precipitated by a fire? Invaders? I soon figured from the yells and banging that in fact the crisis was that it was fifteen minutes after checkout time, and I was still there.

I'd told the lady the night before that I would sleep in the next day. She was sweet as treacle, and considered accommodating me with a late breakfast. Hence my shock at her gestapo wake up. In fact, even if I hadn't told her I'd be sleeping late, I'd still be shocked at her language - not typical service industry treatment.

I jumped into the shower. As I stood towelling off, again the flimsy door quivered with the landlady's pumelling fists. "If you're not out of there in five minutes, I'm coming in!!" she threatened. I scrambled to find my underpants, my mind reeling with disbelief.

A few minutes later, I packed my bags, plucked up my courage, and opened the door. There, the lady of the house hovered, a concentrated wraith of indignity. I opened my mouth to protest at her violent methods, but she beat me to it, and what she said was so surprising, I lost my tongue.

"I'm VERY disappointed in you" she announced, eyes burning. I tried to tell her how rude her treatment was, but she was not in a listening mood.

She was still yammering unpleasantries after me when I pulled the front door shut, hopped in my car, and headed to O'Connors for an excellent full breakfast. (I also recommend their seafood chowder.)

PS: I gave this place a 2 star review coz it had hot water (though you could not control the temperature of the hot water) and as I've gotten good mileage telling the story of that horrible morning to friends.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank damuse
half12, Owner at Half Door B&B, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2010

Breakfast is served from 8.30am - 9.30am at the Half Door B&B, The guest had been made aware that last breakfast was 9.30am and we expected him at that time, He did not show, however knowing that he had been out late and partying we left him until 10.00am when i knocked on his door, called him by name and told him that it was last call for breakfast, he grunted. I kept the breakfast warm for him until 10.30am still intending to give it to him should he arise, i knocked again and got no response this time so i closed the kitchen and dining room. The last of our other guests checked out at 10.30am which is the check out time. At 11am, and a half hour after check out still no sign of life, so i knocked again, this time i said "its 11am and we need the room soon can you please get ready to leave". I carried on with my work until 11.30am when i had all work completed and needed access to his room in order to get laundry, cleaning etc carried out. I knocked for the third time...no reply at first so i knocked harder, it was clear from his response that he was still in bed, when i asked him to vacace the room he argued with me in fact he said "why do i need to leave, is there someone out there who needs to come in here right now" I explained clearly why i needed access to the room. He THEN showered and it was exactly 11.45am, I hour and 15mins after check out when he vacated the room and my only response after all of that was that i was disappointed... i didnt even add "in you"