“Incredible Location, Friendly Hostel”

Fundalucia Guesthouse
Reviewed December 9, 2013

A stunning location in the hills above Grenada. Great walk to a nice reservoir which you can swim in and jump into if you're feeling adventurous. The staff at the hostel are so friendly and helpful and have excellent local knowledge. We would thoroughly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 6, 2013

We had a double bedroom cottage in the village, which was perfect for us! It was quiet, private, had a lovely little balcony to have a coffee in the morning and a little snug of a sitting room with a TV and a sofa.

Room Tip: We had a double bedroom cottage in the village, which was perfect for us! It was quiet, private, had...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I treasure the memory of my stay at the Fundalucia Hostel in a special place in my heart. I happened to chose to stop by Quentar searching for some quiet time away from Granada. It proved to be a real turning point and one of the defining moments of my life. The generosity and presence I encountered from the people running the hostel opened up new doors in ways of relating to myself and others. And the atmosphere of the village and the mountains kind of make the spinning wheels of everyday life stop. I also loved the little "Mini Market" cupboard in the kitchen :) and the patio, and my room was very peaceful. I guess you could say my soulsearching travels brought me there with perfect timing. I will be forever thankful for that.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 30, 2013

It was very different to anything I was expecting, but I loved it. I wish I stayed there for longer. In just 2 days I managed to unwind away from all the modern day hassles, traffic and city life. The stay made me feel like I was back in time when communities were close and people were in touch and appreciated the beauty of nature.

Room Tip: Book it in advance and maybe write an email before hand to specify what kind of roo you may want in...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Fundalucia Hostel in Quéntar, Spain, is an authentic experience in itself. Located in Quéntar, just about thirty minutes from the center of Granada, and surrounded by the mountains of the beautiful Sierra Nevada, Fundalucia couldn't of felt any more like a "home away from home."

Accommodations are simple, yet very clean and comfortable, and the hostel feels more like a home (or bed and breakfast) rather than a hostel. As we would say in my neck of the woods, the vibe at Fundalucia is very "homey" and welcoming. The interior of the hostel is authentically Spanish and contributes to its unique charm. :)

There is plenty of communal space, such as the fully equipped kitchen and rather large living room, and to top it off, there's an even larger outside terrace; it's perfect for sipping a glass of some local wine and listening to the trees sway. There is also a pool, available to guests at certain points in time throughout the morning and afternoon, and a pretty solid collection of older and newer music. I believe they even broadcast on a local radio station...

Axel, the hostel's caretaker, is quite the man. Him and the hostel's owner, whose name I regrettably forget, were more than welcoming and supportive in their recommendations and tips. Having traveled to Quéntar for the first time and alone, I wasn't quite sure what to expect or how to best spend my time. Axel and the hostel's owner were more than helpful, giving me directions, having told me where to go, what to see, what to do, and in several cases, having offered me a ride to or from my destination whenever possible. They sure know how to host and make their guests feel comfortable, safe, welcomed, and "part of the family." Thanks guys!

Quéntar, though small, offers all the unique characteristics of a small, quaint, mountain village. Think: picturesque. There are about two or three "supermarkets," a very good and relatively inexpensive restaurant, a bar or two, a discotheque, a church and small plaza, and a bus stop. This is about it. That being said, Quéntar can easily be explored in full in one day, yet the local area apart from Granada itself is also worth exploring. There is a well-known reservoir and manmade beach worth checking out provided you are visiting in the warmer months. These are easily accessible by foot if you don't mind walking a little bit. ;-)

Granada is not far at all and easily accessible by bus. They are frequent, safe, and inexpensive. They also operate after the dinner hour... which is late, by American standard, in Spain! There is one main road that takes you in and out of the city, meaning that all locals use this road to get to and from the center. If you're comfortable with asking for a ride, I'm sure one of the locals wouldn't mind at all! Everyone is very pleasant and open to visitors and travelers.

If you're staying in Granada, I fully recommend staying at this hostel for part of or your entire stay. It is perfect for solo travelers, for groups of friends, for couples, and for families. It is also extremely reasonable, price-wise. You will not regret it, believe me!

Thanks Fundalucia and thank you, thank you, thank you Axel for such a wonderful time! Your hostel has sketched itself into my wonderful memories in Granada and I will definitely be back soon!

-Seth Carreiro, Providence, Rhode Island, USA

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Wanna get to know a typical small Andalusian village? I advise you to go to Quentar. You can walk across the olive fields and come across mountaingoats. In the supermarket an old grandma behind the corner will keep on talking spanish, whether you know the language or not. It's quiet and peaceful out here and only a short bustrip away from Granada. Fundalucia feels in a few minutes like a home where good conversation is easily found at the kitchen table and in summer time there's a swimming pool! Go Go!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Located in a small village of Quentar, half an hour away from Granada, Fundalucia offers nice, friendly, and picturesque place to stay. It is also reasonably cheap compared to similar places in Granada itself. The best way to travel to Quentar is by car, but it also offers a bus service every hour (get yourself a bus timetable at the hostel).

If you are looking for the en-suite room, better book it via AirBnB rather than HostelWorld: then you have a choice of a standalone house also.

If travelling by bus, don't get off the first stop in Quentar, go to the very end when bus starts turning around - this will save you about 5 minute walk. It is about 10 minute walk, mostly uphill, from there. Once you find school 'Colegio', then know you've already missed your turn - you need to turn left uphill just before the school :-)

Ask Axel about gypsy Flamenco show in the caves - we found it to be the best show after seeing a few in Granada and Malaga!

Oh, and be prepared to take your shoes off while in Fundalucia (crocs & flip flops are provided).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Fundalucia Guesthouse? Share your experiences!