“5 star experience”
Review of Coolefield House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Millstreet
Coolefield House
Ranked #1 of 4 Millstreet B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Oh wow, what a beautiful house! We arrived at Coolefield House to be met by Pam. Once we unpacked in our very comfortable room we had tea and delicious eats in the library. Lovely crisp white linen, well appointed bathroom made for a very good sleep. Breakfasts were delicious, especially the porridge, thanks Michael! And thank you both for a wonderful Tay. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 18, 2013

If you’re going to be in County Cork, you must plan a stay at Coolefield House. The hospitality of Pam and Michael Thornton is like nothing I’ve ever experienced. (Be prepared to drink A LOT of tea! ;)) From the front door welcome (complete with tea, scones, shortbread, etc.), to the spotless rooms, to the delicious home-cooked breakfasts...everything was five-star. Seriously.

Coolefield House is centrally located in County Cork, making it a great base for exploring Cork, Kerry and Limerick. (Do check out Muckross House near Killarny when you’re there.) The train station is just a mile away, so even if you aren’t driving, you have access to all the points along the railway. The home itself is stunning. It has all the charm of a two-hundred year old house with all the conveniences of a new build (which it is...you’d never know it if they didn’t tell you).

While I was planning my trip, I talked with Michael on the phone and he told me not to think of it as a B&B but as my home away from home and since I was traveling by myself, he assured me that they would take good care of me. And they did. I never felt like I was alone. I felt like I was visiting friends.

So, this is a huge thank you going out to Mike, Pam, Michael and Ava. You made my visit to Ireland absolutely wonderful. Thank you Pam for going above and beyond and making me gluten-free scones. And thank you Mike for being such a wonderful tour guide. I hope you will be in the B&B business for many, many years...because you are gifted at it!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I am not the kind of person who writes reviews of places I've stayed, but this B&B really deserves the praise.

My wife, 3 young children (5, 3, and 1), mother in law and father in law stayed at Coolefield House for 3 nights in June 2013. We hit a stretch of unusually cooler and rainy weather but that didn't stop us from counting our time at the Coolefield as the most treasured of our 2 week visit in Ireland. In fact we regret moving our location as often and could easily have stayed at Coolefield a week, while branching out to various nearby locations on day trips, or just taking a couple extra days to kick back and not travel. With kids we could have slowed down more, but of course it depends on your taste and pace. It's a quick and beautiful drive into Cork or Kilarney, and there are many other treasures even more nearby and even Millstreet itself has a lot to offer.

While I'd still rate the rooms, house, and food itself very highly, what gives Coolefield its magic is the way that Mike and Pam put their heart into making sure you feel comfortable and have a great time. Without getting into all of the specifics (because I can't imagine it would be reasonable to set the expectations as highly for all future guests), suffice to say that we were simultaneously treated like royalty and hosted as friends.

And Michael, if you read this, I don't have any authority for stamping an official accreditation but I still give 5 stars for NOT having TVs in every room, and for the repeated beer: sláinte!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jacob M
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Coolefield House. Michael and Pam were great hosts and the house was beautiful and full of character. We were treated to coffee and cakes on arrival and nothing was too much trouble for our hosts - Michael took us up Claragh Mountain (which was on our to-do list) the same evening. We enjoyed lavish breakfasts including eggs straight from the hen house outside. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Michael, Pam and their two young children invite you to join them in their lovely family home. We had a delicious afternoon tea on arrival and superb breakfast with an extensive selection of fruits and locally sourced ingredients for the cooked breakfast. Michael is an entertaining and attentive host.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My stay at coolfield b&b was fabuolous the surroundings very beautiful the house it's self was also beautiful, and what can I say about the breakfast they were delicious you have to try the porridge and the smoked salmon bagel with scrambled eggs to die for and as for the home made cake's wonderful, and Pam & Michael are lovely they make you feel so welcome and the kids are lovely too, and there is such a homely feeling in the house I would recommend to anyone it is FAB!! To have to try it.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Wonderfulgreat
Reviewed May 14, 2013

A group of us from Incredible Edible Todmorden stayed at Coolefield House in May 2013. We were completely astounded by the quality of our stay and the warmth of our welcome. The House is beautiful and furnished in a way which is appropriate to its style and also comfortable and homely, rooms were large, several had extra beds and so would be good for families, and all en suite bathrooms were gorgeous. Breakfast selection included a generous breakfast bar and a wide selection of cooked breakfasts. The full Irish is particularly recommended. The supplies of wonderful home baked scones, cakes and biscuits accompanying frequent offers of tea and coffee, were continuous. Ingredients were sourced locally where ever possible, indeed the hens responsible for the eggs could be seen outside my bedroom window. The welcome from Michael and Pam could not have been warmer, by the end of our stay it felt like staying with friends.
Local Village for evening meals is 3 km away (taxi charged us 7 euros) a car would be an advantage.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Melvin C

Been to Coolefield House? Share your experiences!