“wow the service blew me away”

Anantara Desert Islands Resort & Spa
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“wow the service blew me away”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

very cozy hotel...beautiful rooms...we've never had better service in our lives. Also very unique experience as there are animals you will only see once in your lifetime.

In March, beach weather is perfect.

Great for couples.

any questions call me Jason Moore 050-7147786

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank JasonAbuDhabi
Steven P, General Manager at Anantara Desert Islands Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
May I thank you most sincerely for the lovely review that you have posted on Trip Advisor. As I sit here on the Palm Restaurant Terrace enjoying by breakfast, I have read your review to one of my Asociates and it has put a great smile on both of our faces.

The weather here at the moment is wonderful and I was glad to read that you spent time at the beach. For your information we are adding cabanas and additional sunbeds there shortly which will on add to guests enjoyment. We will also be able to use them for our Dining By Design concept where guests can enjoy their dinner privately with highly personalized service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Desert Island Resort and Spa by Anantara and in the meantime assure you of our very best of intentions at all times.

Warmest Regards

Seven Phillips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Arabic first
havant
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The stay at Desert Islands was a holiday to remember.The Hotel was beautiful,well maintained and very clean.All the staff we came in contact with were very friendly and eager to please--they were professionals in their own right. The only complaint is that we didn't take advantage of all the activities available to us.

Arriving at the dead of night we didn't know what to expect,but we were pleasantly surprised.We received a very warm welcome and given a delicious Hibiscus drink.We were amazed at the Arabian decor in the reception area which was very grand.Our bedrooms were well furnished to a high standard,and the beds, including the pillows,were very comfortable,so we slept well.We had a sea view,and overlooked the pool and gardens,which were excellently maintained.

We spent much of our time relaxing at or in the pool.There was always a Lifeguard on duty,to give assistance when needed.

We enjoyed a Safari drive which was wonderful,even though we opted for the early drive,but we still had time for breakfast when we returned.We were lucky enough to see all the Giraffes and four of the five Cheetahs.We saw so many animals close up.The driver(Kate) and the guide(Miriam) were very knowledgable and friendly.I reccommend this drive to go on--it is very interesting to all ages.In the afternoon I went for a horse ride --I surprised myself as being 66 and never been on a horse in my life, Michelle took me out on a leading rein and after a little while let me ride on my own,with her walking beside me.I must say that Michelle made me very much at ease,and i enjoyed my first ride. The Stables and surrounding area were very clean and well maintained.

I visited the Spa twice and I had a great ful body massage by Nont(I think that is right)--I felt so relaxed afterwards.

Breakfast was a joy,so much to choose from,so naturally,over our stay, we tried most dishes!!

We ate at The Palm,their was a good choice and the meals were delicious and well presented.

The Samak was mainly fish,but as I am a non-fish eater,I had meat which was tasty and well presented.My husband and friend thoroughly enjoyed the fish.Once again plenty of choice.

We ate at the newly opened Amwaj,which was quite an experience,the menu was on a Tapas style.We chose several dishes,after having the dishes explained to us.It was a very pleasant and interesting way of dining.

In all of the restaurants the staff were very attentive and eager to please.We could find no fault with the cleanliness.

We also ate at Al Shams,which have a varied menu,and also served snacks,was very convenient for the pool area.

Room Tip: My husband and i travelled with a female friend.We had a sea view room,it was quiet and peaceful.We...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank patricia j
Steven P, General Manager at Anantara Desert Islands Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
It was a pleasure having you with us in Desert Islands Resort and Spa by Anantara, and we thank you for the fantastic review. It was most kind of you to share your thoughts with us since your responses will help us to shape the future of our services. Your help in this regard is most appreciated.

I have passed on your very kind comments to Kate, Miriam, Michelle and Neung and they were all thrilled to receive them. You maybe pleased to hear that we have recently added new wildlife, water, horse riding activities and with the soon to be opened Anantara Al Yamm Villas, we will be opening an additional 2 spa rooms for guests’ enjoyment and complete relaxation.
It was also great to read that you and your husband thoroughly enjoyed all the dining experiences we have on the property and our new Italian Olio Restaurant will be opening at Al Yamm in June this year.

Desert Islands Resort & Spa by Anantara is most grateful to you for your time and effort in providing feedback to us. We rely on such inputs from our guests since we are continually striving to provide our guests with the best in service and accommodations

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I decided to spend two nights at this resort when my family came to visit. This is a lovely hotel but not as opulent as its sister hotel 'Qasr Al Sahrab'. The rooms are lovely and very spacious, the pool is excellent and you really do feel like you have gotten away from it all when you get to this hotel. As for the activities there is definitely something for everyone. We decided to do the mangrove kayaking and the wildlife drive which were both brilliant! We even saw the elusive cheetah close up. The only downside to this hotel is the price. You have to pay extra for the activities and when you are in a group this can become pretty pricey. I ended up paying more for the extras than i did for two hotel rooms. I think that the hotel should look at the option of offering one free activity with your hotel booking. The restaurants are also pretty pricey so you may end up just taking the buffet option which can include alcoholic drinks. The menu varies each night and the bbq evening was delicious! I would recommend this resort but do make sure you budget for a lot of additional extras.

Room Tip: the deluxe sea view rooms are very spacious and have a lovely view of the pool and sea.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Vicky R

It was great to read that you thought our rooms were spacious in size and that you thought that our activities were brilliant. You will be pleased to hear that we are currently looking at introducing package prices and I am hopeful that this will ensure that our guests are able to enjoy the myriad of options available at attractive pricing.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We just had 5 great days/4 nights at this very nice resort. The concept of activities (we did horseback riding, mountain biking, archery, kayaking and safari) and relaxation in picture nice surroundings worked for us. Even the quality of the food at the different restaurants were good. We really enjoyed the special atmosphere they have managed to create at this resort. You can feel that someone has thought about the details. We also appreciated the boat trip to the island - leaving our car and stress behind. At this time of the year (April) there is no reason to leave UAE to enjoy a nice holiday.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Karsten G

It was happy to read that you have enjoyed the activities that we offer and with the addition of our new activities including traditional pearl diving which commences mid April and also sailing and deep sea fishing, this would give you additional enjoyment on you next visit.

Further, I have passed on to our Executive Chef and F&B Manager and staff your appreciation for the presentation of quality of food served in all the outlets and they were all thrilled for the comment.

One of the hotels mission is for our guests to feel free and be one with nature and leave the stressful life in the city in order to enjoy the uniqueness of our island.

Vienna, Wien, Austria
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was so privileged to be given a one night stay in this lovely resort. It's quite a travel but it's all worth it. From the boat trip, the way to the resort, and to the hotel itself, it was fantastic. Upon arrival, was greeted by a friendly staff, offered some welcoming drinks which is very refreshing and a clean, fresh smelled damped cold towel to wipe my face and hands which is very refreshing. Was escorted to my room...was spacious..clean and so relaxing. The following day..had a safari drive..was awesome..guide was very polite and very knowledgeable about the animals in the island...even introduced us to one of the friendly ostrich named...SWEETY... really big bird.. a nosy and friendly bird, who really got closed to our jeep..got the feeling of somehow, she's welcoming us on behalf of the animal kingdom :) and after the trip...had a walk on the beach..was so peaceful and safe. Dinner in their restaurant called The Palm was really sumptuous..too bad I only have a very small tummy to fill. Over all..it's an amazing place to stay..one night is not enough!! Very good place to stay just to refresh for a person, a couple, and family, even good also for companies to do their team buildings as I was told they are also offering lots of island and sea activities. Alee Gerna

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect as it's all facing the sea :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank AleeGerna
Muscat Governorate, Oman
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

After a very long drive from Muscat myself and my wife arrived to the jetty to take us to Sir Bani Yas Island, from the first step we both had the feeling that this would be a very memorable gate away ... And indeed it was... Not sure if it was a coincidence or normal but the reservation staff was the same person who received me when I arrived to the hotel which was a very personalised touch and she already knew my name and my preferences for me this was my comment in most hotels and it happened here... I loved it..

The location, the peace, the activities, the staff and food is simply great..... If you are in a mission to relax and forget the outside world then this is your place. We took the safari drive and its very nice and the tour guide seemed very enthusiastic about his work which is always a good sign, also we saw a couple of local girls working there as tour guides which is also great to have locals there. From the first moment you will notice that the hotel is actually very homey and I have asked several times if this was a hotel originally or a guest house and they all said it's a hotel, reading the comments from the GM it was a guest house which makes the stay even more interesting...... The design of the place, the furniture, and the rooms all gives you the feeling that you are a valued guest in a house :).....

Unfortunately the palace and the majlis are not open for visitors, these two landmarks are historical for a long time now and I would really hope that in future the tourism department would consider having sections opened to the public.....

The whole island can be an eco paradise.. There are vast Area's that can be used for solar power, and they can have green houses to supply organic food to the hotel and to recycle a lot of the stuff.... Maybe this is just my view but I strongly believe that this hidden gem can be fully self sufficient ...

The only bother is the travel to/from the island with the boat, the boat leaves every two hours and it seems that guests are not very punctual I arrived to the location 15 minutes before departure and had to wait for a guest for over 20 minutes and finally I just informed them that this is taking too long and after 7 hours drive I cannot wait, we moved then. I can understand the resort point of view when a guest calls saying they will arrive in 5 minutes specially that missing the boat means 2 hours wait.... But the timing should be more stringent and departure time should really be adhered to specially that while booking the room the reservations actually stress over and over on the timing...

Overall very well done Abu Dhabi Tourism and Anantara......... I would go back for sure.......

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank waleedma
Dubai
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Lovely hotel to get away from all of it with very helpfull staff. Food is ok a little over priced but nothing else is available anywhere around!! The safari is a nice little spin. The best is the quietness around the forced DO NOTHING all day (If one wants).
Good meeting facilities, very new and professional team managing it.
The downside of the hotel is the distance from AbuDhabi, it is a long drive!!

Room Tip: Take rooms on the first floor as on the ground floor everyone can look in if you want to keep the wi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank deepc55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sir Bani Yas Island
Anantara Sir Bani Yas Island Al Yamm Villa Resort
Anantara Sir Bani Yas Island Al ...
#2 of 3 in Sir Bani Yas Island
Anantara Sir Bani Yas Island Al Sahel Villa Resort
Anantara Sir Bani Yas Island Al ...
#1 of 3 in Sir Bani Yas Island
#1 of 2 in Jebel Dhanna
Barracuda Beach Resort
Barracuda Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Umm Al Quwain

Been to Anantara Desert Islands Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!