“Great evening out”

Ranked #3 of 49 Restaurants in Claremont
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Went to "the avenue" for dinner after the Argus Cycle Challenge in Cape Town. The restaurant is tucked away from the main tourist haunts and is a welcome getaway. The management (owners) and staff are very attentive, but at the same time giving the space for a private dinner.

We had the steak - which was done to perfection. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Jeets2804

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Set in the trendy area of Harfield Village in Claremont, The Avenue begins to buzz from 17:00, when locals pop in for coffee or a glass of wine on the way home from work. The staff greet one at the door, and are friendly, well-trained and attentive.
One of the best things about The Avenue is their early menu. As long as one has ordered from this menu by 18:45, you are welcome to sit and stay. For an extremely low price, one is offered the choice of seafood, chicken or steak, all cooked to perfection in various ways, with sides of chips, veg and/or salad. Each one of the sides is worth having on their own - the salad dressing alone makes the visit worthwhile!
Later diners have a more extensive menu, with very good prices. I have visited The Avenue more times than I am able to list, and have NEVER been disappointed! Tony, the owner, makes a point of greeting each one of his guests, and is always personally in attendance to make sure that everything possible is done to make the visit an enjoyable experience. I have introduced most of my friends to this restaurant, and many of them have adopted it as their 'regular' place. It has become impossible to eat there without bumping into friends!
We visit the Avenue at least once a week, because it is actually cheaper than eating at home, the food is much more delicious, and it is a warm and lovely place to be! I would truly recommend a visit - just a warning - it is such a popular restaurant that it is advisable to book EARLY! But believe me, it's worth the trouble!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Thank you for being so attentive! I was a single diner (I often eat out alone and don't get the same level of service when I am in a group), and got treated like I was a VIP. I had carpacio which was excellently presently, and very tasty, a lovely Lamb dish and delicious chocolate brownie! I do love my food, and this restaurant made every mouthful worthwhile.

the waitress was super attentive and really good, knew what to recommend, did not rush me, and as always around when I needed something extra.

I even left my handbag behind and they kept it for me!

I can only strongly recommend this place to everyone who likes great service and value for money.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We moved to Claremont 18 months ago and discovered 'The Avenue' in Harfield Village by chance. This small restaurant has become very busy since then and it's no surprise. Quality, portion size, and esp value for money is exceptional. The sirloin steak is my usual but try the others. The owner Tony, is always in attendance and very approachable even when busy in kitchen. Has 'curtain raiser' discounts for those seated by 6.45pm. We eat out a lot and this is def one of our favourites.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

One of the worst dining experiences.
Seated by waitress; then waited 15 mins before she wandered back to check on table. Yes, I would have loved a cold beer.
I enquired if the calamari was good, she said yes – but doesn’t eat calamari (??)
When it did arrive – it had obviously been deep fried in dirty, old oil. Likewise for the chips. The most bland tasting dish ever.
When another waitress reached over to clear some dishes; I was hit with a whiff of seriously bad body odour.