“Fine as hotel food goes”

The Square Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 51 Restaurants in Claremont
Cuisines: Sushi, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Square Restaurant is a magnificent glass-roofed restaurant with tranquil green surrounds. The indoor trees make one feel in tune with nature and create an intimate atmosphere, which compliments the superb cuisine. This wonderful ambience is enhanced by harp or piano music. The award-winning wine list completes this enjoyable dining experience, with all the major estates represented as well as some "off-the-beaten-track" choices.
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Not been here for ages, it was OK, the staff were great but we will try other places. Fine if you are staying at the hotel but this does not have the same viby atmosphere that other stand alone restaurants have. The pianist reminded us of dining in the 70's. Bit loud when the restaurant is full.
Home-made soup was delicious, camembert in phyllo, good too. The calves liver needs a different presentation, the chairs are low compared to table height and it was difficult to get to grips with this chewy delicacy in a soup plate as the liver was on a bed of spinach, potato and was topped with deep fried onion rings. Pork fillet was very acceptable with attractive presentation. Good selection of wines by the glass.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I recently met some friends visiting from Albany, New York, and we had lunch at The Square, The Vineyard Hotel, in Claremont (a 12-minute drive from the city centre).

It is always a treat to either go to The Townhouse Hotel in the city centre, for lunch or dinner, which is the sister hotel to The Vineyard, and, as well as the D’Ouwe Werf Hotel in Stellenbosch (a 40-minute drive from the city centre). I had not been to The Square for a while.

For lunch, my friends had:

Starters: Caprese Salad: Plum Tomatoes and fior de latte mozzarella with avocado, fresh basil, rocket, balsamic reduction, with extra virgin olive oil and crostini.

Main: Butter chicken curry with basmati rice, poppadum, tomato & onion sambal and cucumber, and Ploughman’s Platter

They ate every morsel with great relish, and, one of my friends specifically had high-praise for the butter chicken, and expressed how they enjoy South African food.

I did not have a starter, instead, I took a slice of their homemade wholewheat bread, which I always reach for at the Townhouse Hotel; for my main course, I ordered the butternut, feta, spinach and dried cranberry quiche, with a side salad of tomato, red onion, cucumber, in mixed leaves and raspberry dressing…in three words…it was "fab u lous", and tasty, and very fresh.

I declare that the food is always of a very high-standard, and not your typical hotel fare…fresh (I already said fresh, but it warrants a second-mention), the presentation was delightful, and it made you wanting to clean the plate.

If ever you find yourself at the Vineyard, there is also their classical high-tea, and, a lovely surprise, is the spectacular view of the Skeleton Gorge (a ravine on Table Mountain), which starts from the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens…this forms the backdrop of the Vineyard’s property! Superb!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We had the 5 course tasting menu and it was wonderful value for money. I do feel that the food could have been explained and options should have been discussed by the staff.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

What a treat this was!!! We decided to have dinner at The Square for the birthday of my girlfriend's father. We stumbled upon their 5 course dinner and just had to have it. Some of us in the group also went with the wine pairing option which is a must in my opinion!!!

The food is amazing and superbly prepared, plated and perfectly paired with wine. We could not find any faults with the experience and especially not with our waiter. Aneema was a perfect host and made us feel welcome and very comfortable.

This was a dinner that will not soon be forgotten.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Brilliant service, and an amazing wine list. The menu is varied with something for everyone. A favourite for a quiet Friday evening meal.