“Great lunch choices”

Ranked #1 of 50 Restaurants in Claremont
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Lovely garden setting tucked away - like a secret. Lovely varied menu. Had the most amazing veg filled lunch - aubergine dish with lentil/feta salad, boys had great grass fed burgers. Service very good. Ice teas lovely. All was terrific, boys only complained once that they couldn't have beers (no license)

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Took my guest here and he ordered a dish that did not advertise avocao in the salad. When teh food arrived, it was full of avo. My friend has a serious aversion to anything with Avocado in it.

We immediately approached the waiter and asked him if it was advertised on the menu, waiter was emphatic that it was advertised on the menu. So, my guest was humble, suffered through the lunch, trying to separate mushed up avocado out of the salad.

But then we decided to double check: we asked for the menu; and discovered that the avocado was definately not advertised with this salad; at which point the waiter then apologised to say he agreed it was not advertised, and began to give all kinds of excuses as to why not.

So we jovially suggested to improve things, ie how about bringing some free coffee? Well he brought the coffeee and we were charged for these!

Now a waiter should have immediately rather have offered an alternative to the offending salad that my friend felt obliged to eat, or at least given us the coffee or something; to smooth out the matter!

No tip was given in spite of the waiter hovering around me expecting this, when i paid the manager.

What completely gob smacked me is that I offered to explain to the manager what was wrong, ie why no tip was given; and he took NO interest!

Then it became worse, he told me all good.

I explained it was NOT all good! So he then, rather grudgingly listened, and after it was explained to him what happened, he began to be defensive!

I told him i was not interested in a debate in full view of staff and publicbut offered he could email me or phone me: He declined to ask my number.

Today i called the restuarant, in order to contact the owner. The manager answered the phone and he refused to provide the owners mobile number, and tried to screen the call, and started laughing when i told him i would explain all the to the owner directly; and slammed the phone down.

Now the venue is cute, but we would NOT refer or recommend anyone to go here and potentially be dealt with this this sort of arrogance.

My expectation from a good restauarant is that if you are in any way unhappy with your order, and particularly if this is conveyed nicely to the waiter, the matter ought to be addressed properly professionally either by the waiter or manager or owner. If there is an absent owner, a very unprofessional manager and a deceitful waiter; well, the future is bleak and we will not be going back again.

footnote: My guest called me to say he had a really bad night after having food with avo,,,shame on this restaurant.

2  Thank Jeremy Z
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I've been to Starlings a couple of times and never been disappointed. The quality of the food is excellent and the prices are decent. The setting is unusual - it feels like being in the back garden of someone's house - slightly eclectic and somewhat surreal. A lovely experience everytime.

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Took the family for lunch. Menu is varied and the dishes are flavour some.

The staff are pleasant and attentive.

The wife says the chicken curry pie is awesome.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We treated my neice and her husband to a delicious breakfast this morning. The service was friendly, the coffee was sensational and the presentation was perfect. My Eggs Benedict were poached to perfection - only comment is that brioche was too sweet and I still prefer an english muffin or rosti with eggs benedict. We all had something different and all the dishes were delicious. Negatives were the old and shabby table cloth with lots of stains and soil where the pot plant on the table had been over filled and rather stained and scruffy cushions on the seats - the initial impression of the table was definitely not an ah-ha moment, which is a shame as the setting is so pretty.