“Lovely Sunday Afternoon”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mintlaw
Aberdeen
“Lovely Sunday Afternoon”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Fantastic afternoon on Sunday 8th September At Saplin Brae Family Fun Day. 3 Adults and 2 Children had a totally civilised afternoon. The hotels new owners had laid on Bouncy Castles with attendants at hand for the kids, face painting, fancy dress characters as well as a bird display, shooting practice… the list goes on. Also must mention the Michael Buble tribute and highland dancers. We managed to while away 3 full hours with 2 x 1 year old toddlers who were both stimulated & entertained from the moment they arrived. While having a light lunch in the hotel (Children well catered for) we took a look at the lunch and dinner menus and we were pleasantly surprised at the range on offer as well as the reasonable pricing. The new staff are friendly and welcoming and I have no doubt I will be back soon to sample the yummy Sunday roast or maybe a mid-week dinner – both sound fab to me! Good Luck SaplinBrae

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Earlston, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We took a chance booking this hotel with no web site or reviews to go on, only the knowledge that it was under new ownership and had been refurbished. It's a lovely building in nice grounds. The hotel also owns the 'old shooting lodge, a short walk up some outside steps from the bar takes you there. Close to this there are also 2 holiday lodges. Inside the hotel has been completely refurbished and is immaculate in terms of décor and cleanliness. We were shown to room 5 which is a small but perfectly formed double. It is beautifully decorated with a brand new but petite shower room. Only tiny issue is that the sink was cloakroom sized. However when we were having a drink in the bar I mentioned to the owner that I had hoped for a bath and she arranged to move us to a room in the old shooting lodge. The lodge is also beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean with all the little extras like bath robes, slippers and more toiletries than I have seen in any hotel. The room we had there was more rustic with beams and a fireplace and a huge bathroom with a roll top bath. Perfect. The staff are all still finding their feet and check in was a little clunky, check out even more so, but everyone was friendly and helpful. We ate in the restaurant which was just brilliant, food was lovely and service swift. We also were shown around one of the holiday lodges and can say that they looked spacious and clean with the same luxury touches the hotel has, and have log burners. All in all I'd say that once the staff get to grips with their processes and if they manage that excellent, but discreet, customer service you get in luxury hotels then this has the makings of being a top country house hotel, especially given that there is just no where else of the sort in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marlelc
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Having been unfortunate enough to experience the hotel under the old management/owners I would just like to say what a breath of fresh air the new management/owners are.
Professional, polite, smart. Everything you would expect from a business.
Evening meal was superb, rooms are looking wonderful now that the have been refurbished, the entire hotel has at last been given the professional overhaul that this lovely building deserves.
Staff went out of their way to help us, nothing was to much trouble.

I wish you the best of luck and will be recommending you to all my friends and family.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SusanH966
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for a 4 day trip, the apartment was clean and well laid out. Everything you needed was supplied and it was maintained to a spotless level. Will defininitely use again in the future. The owners did everything they could to make my stay as hassle free as possible.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank IP72
Strathcarron, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Ive just returned from a 4 night stay at the lovely old shooting lodge in Mintlaw. I was working in Aberdeenshire ,and the location was great for getting to peterhead, fraserburgh, huntly and all the surronding areas.

The room i had was nice and clean with all the facilities that a boy needs. The guest house has free wifi, that worked fine on my iphone but not via my ps3 (granite walls)

I was welcomed on the Monday and shown around the place and told i could make use of all the facilities.. The owners are very welcoming without being intrusive.

Its not the owners fault in anyway, but may be handy information, neither of my phones picked up any network signal (im on o2.) So if its a peacefull escape your after then this is the place to be, as no one can disturb your stay at this awesome house.
I was on a room only basis, however i hear the breakfast on offer is superb also. I will be back next time im working in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I'm staying here for a couple of days on business and the Shooting Lodge is superb. The rooms are large and pleasant, the beds very comfortable, the WiFi works well, the downstairs rooms are luxurious, the breakfast excellent. I really can't fault anything. It reminds me a bit of the Meldrum House Hotel on a smaller scale and without the golfcourse or the £140 rooms!

Room Tip: I've only tried one room herer, but I'm sure they are all excellent.