“Great staff. Rooms need addressing.”
Review of Hilton House Hotel

Hilton House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hilton B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We visited friends who live nearby. Unfortunately the family room was just too small. The bathroom was simply a walk in cupboard. There was a sign telling you to keep shower door closed, but no where to put shampoo.so every time you bent over to pick stuff up the door opened. Also lots of damp. The TV was too small and we rolled into each other due to a very worn mattress. I asked to be moved to a room with a bath, which was great, if not a little dated. Definitely the most we've ever paid to stay anywhere, and the worst.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Colin C, Owner at Hilton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for your review of Hilton House Hotel. I must advise though that the worn out mattress you refer to was new with the bed earlier this year, so its nowhere near worn out, it is only a double but maybe you are more familiar with a King-sized bed.

We are an old family home converted to a hotel some 50 years ago where all rooms shared a bathroom along the corridor. At some point en-suites were installed as best as possible, yes its a little on the small side but perfectly functional.

It would appear that the soap dish in the shower has become loose and was removed, this I do agree is a failing that needs to be rectified.

As to the price, you had booked a room for 3 guests all with breakfast, and we have bought new furniture to accommodate 3 persons in that room at a price that including VAT we feel is not too unreasonable.

Colin

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I was extremely surprised by this little gem. I booked because a group of us were going racing at Uttoxeter but would stay if I was going to Alton towers or anywhere else local, the staff and locals gave us a very warm welcome and breakfast was excellent. I can not praise the staff enough, one of our party was fortunate enough to win a couple of thousand of pounds at the races and stupidly left it in the room, on our way home I received a call to say that housekeeping had found it:- we were stunned, in this day and age it is an absolute breath of fresh air to find GOOD HONEST people. Would definitely stay again. Also Kirsty does the best chocolate orange cheesecake ever ( she is going to send me the recipe), definitely worth a trip.

Room Tip: If you are quite tall then the outside rooms are probably not for you, otherwise all the other rooms...
Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Wonderful place, glad I went and would definitely recommend it for everyone. The Carvery is awesome.

The staff at this place are mega friendly and really only have you in mind. If I ever come back to the UK, this place will certainly be on my list once more

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank touring_planets
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I visited the Hilton for a sunday carvery and decided to take both our parents. The carvery menu was good with options for starters and desserts too. The staff were warm and welcoming. Attentive but not intrusive. The carvery selection was good and well stocked. We subsequently decided to hold our wedding here in July 2012 and can say that thanks to Zoe, Colin and all their staff, our wedding day was amazing. Zoe is the master of ceremonies and throughout all our pre-wedding meetings was very organised and helpful and ensured our wedding went without a hitch and on schedule. The wedding breakfast options were very good. We decided to opt for the pate,Lamb Shank and cheesecake and every guest commented as to how nice it was. Thanks to the chefs! the staff worked so hard to cater to us and our guests and we couldn’t have asked for a better venue. The hotel itself has 10 rooms all of which are standard and tastefully decorated. The restaurant/ reception room is spacious and has patio doors which open onto the lovely maintained gardens.

After our wedding, we also purchased a Groupon deal for a steak meal for 2, we went along in Feb 2013 whereby the restaurant had undergone a makeover. The room was nice before but even nicer after. The steak meal was gorgeous and faultless with a very generous portion of chips, peas, onion rings and selection of side sauces etc. All the staff are friendly and accommodating and a real asset to Zoe and Colin. The Hilton also offer pub grub and a variety of real ales and will also allow small dogs in the pub area. We love coming here and find it a very romantic place for us that hold special memories. Thanks again to all the staff.

Having read some other reviews, I can honestly say I love this place and not too sure how people can find any fault with it. Zoe and Colin work very hard and do their best to ensure your visit (in any way) is enjoyable. My husband and I will visit as often as we can in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Laura D
Colin C, Owner at Hilton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Laura

I don't know where to start, all I can say is a big thank you from Zoe and myself and the staff.

We try our utmost best to make the customer happy, we know we do not get it right all the time but we believe we get it more than right most of the time.

We look forward to your next visit

Colin

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We took advantage of an offer of x 2 carverys for £9.00 (half price). We were greeted very courteously by a gentleman who showed us to our table. The 'restaurant' was quite gloomy, and reminded me of a village hall in some ways, very plain and ordinary, no pictures on the walls just a lot of tall decorations on a shelf at one end of the room. Very friendly servers. The carvery was ok, the beef was tender but the pork was a little chewy. Disappointed with the limited selection of veg - carrots, green beans and white cabbage which was tasteless and peas in a bowl of hot water. Roast potatoes looked anaemic, new potatoes a little hard, and sliced potatoes which tasted like they were soaked in a stock cube, gravy fatty. The apple sauce had no taste whatsoever. We have had much better carverys with a much larger and fresher choice of veg - this was really quite average. The staff were very nice, but the place had a tired look about it which is a shame. Wouldn't rush back, and certainly wouldn't want to be paying full price.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank littlesheDerby
Colin C, Owner at Hilton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Well I think this keeps our feet firmly on the ground and proves that you can not please all of the people all of the time.

Village Halls would love to look like us, I find that probably the most unfair comment of all.

The restaurant was quite extensively redecorated last October (just check our Facebook page for an album of before and after) and has a mix of colours and wall coverings to create a comfortable warm appeal

As to decorations, we think cluttered walls can look worse. There are pictures throughout the hotel, but as the restaurant can be carvery, intimate, corporate, wedding, funeral, celebratory I wouldn't know what fits in best.

The decorations at the end (and on all the window sills, along with the pleasant Roman Blinds) we think do just the right job, and actually break up the folding wall they were in front of that would have revealed the other half of the room

There was a choice of 3 meats, Beef, Turkey and Pork, my apologies if the Pork was not to your palate. A choice of 5 vegetables, white cabbage is white cabbage and tastes how it tastes, carrots, green beans, peas and roasted parsnips. I concede this week the peas and beans were frozen, I suspect broccoli and cauliflower were having another price blip.

The peas remain in a little hot water to stop them drying out in the bowl and you have a sieved serving spoon so not sure why that was an issue.

Three choices of potatoes, roast which you would have found just right inside and not too oily on the outside prepared in a way that normal draws positive comments, boiled and Boulangere which are, yes, thinly sliced with onions in stock - that's how you cook them!!

On another week you might also find cauliflower cheese, red cabbage, mashed potato or Dauphinoise potatoes which are thinly sliced also and cooked with cream.

Maybe you are not used to the variety on a carvery that we do offer, not forgetting that Salmon in a White Wine and Tarragon sauce and Steak and Mushroom Pie would have also been available to you with of course Yorkshire Pudding and Stuffing for whoever wants them.

I am also not sure how apple sauce can not taste of apples, which is its primary ingredient and finally the gravy which uses the meat juices is proper gravy.

As the gentleman who led you to your table and seated you in a room of regular diners I thank you for your comments if only to give me a right to reply, and ask that all potential Trip Adviser guests check out some of our other reviews as well.

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Just taken my family out for a carvery meal. The restaurant was spacious, the food was hot and tasty and waitresses very helpful. Try the steak and ale pie instead of usual joints of meat it was really good. If you don't eat meat or fish (salmon looked good) then phone ahead and they'll have risotto as a veggie option. We will definitely be going again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank customerDerby
Reviewed May 22, 2013

recently went for Sunday lunch. great welcome very friendly, lovely food, only thing that spoilt it was where we were seated you looked out onto a path which was covered with several mounds of dog dirt. This was a bit off putting whilst eating and let the hotel down.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Louise M
Colin C, Owner at Hilton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

I would like to assure anybody reading this review that Hilton House Hotel does NOT have piles of dogs mess on its pathways or indeed anywhere!

I can only assume that this reviewer has spotted some small clumps of moss that have washed or blown off of the flat roof at some point in the days before hand.

We have cleaning staff walking along the paths to access some of our bedrooms every day and they would spot any such unpleasant deposits be they dog, fox or cat and I again can assure you these are never present.

I do thank you however for the positive comment about our carvery, born out by most others dining here.

Been to Hilton House Hotel? Share your experiences!