“Good gone bad”

Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Scorton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My family have been regular visitors since "The Barn" opened but lately have been very disappointed with it. The service is not good, twice visiting for coffee & cake recently we had all but finished our drinks before the cake arrived. The Menu hasn't changed in years, panini's or toasted sandwiches would make a welcome change.
They seem to be more bothered serving the hoards of cyclists that turn up rather than people who have been going for years. It used to be a nice place to take our elderly Mum but the majority of cyclists than come in are very rude and just push their way past , as Mum is none to steady on her feet we have decided we will not be returning. I feel very sad that it has gone downhill so much as we used to look forward to going.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Little treasure admired and loved by locals and visitors alike. Perfect for a cup of tea or frothy coffee with a wedge of homemade yummy cake. Haven for cyclists, walkers, picnickers and for people going to the garden centre to drop in and recharge their batteries.
Friendly locals who can tell you a tale or two.
Set in the beautiful countryside a worthwhile visit.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Been here lots of times. Have to say I don't ever recall having anything bad to eat.

Love the shop attached, that you can walk round while your food is prepared. My hubby and I went on Valentine's Day. We sat, placed our order and I went for my wander around. My only criticism isle did have to wait a white for the food. We both had French onion soup, bit peppery but very scrummy. Then I had a cream cheese and celery baguette. Ok so price may seem a little steep but you know what it was huge ! I couldn't finish it.

Anyway would def recommend.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I'm wondering if this is the same place as the last 3 reviewers. Visited the Barn on a very wet, windy Saturday lunchtime with 3 friends. The food was very good, very large portions and served with a smile. The desserts were to die for and hot drinks welcome. Whilst some may feel the hustle and bustle of shoppers surrounding the eating area distracting it wasn't to us. It is a very quirky place and if you want a gift, greeting card or garden plant it is a one-stop wonder.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Been visiting The Barn at Scorton (home of The Bowland Grill) for many years and, whilst noticing a decline, kept loyal to the place. Not any more. Their vegetable broth was legendary but even that isn't good any more, under seasoned and bland. The final straw for us though was the Hotpot, oh dear, truly dreadful. Looks great on first sight but what you get is a bowl full of huge chunks of undercooked potatoes and 2 tiny gristly bits of "chewy" meat. This is all topped with pastry that you could sole a shoe with and then walk from Landsend to John O'Groats without putting a dent in it! Maybe that's what all the walkers call there for! All joking aside it's awful. We did comment about it to the member of staff who cleared our table (as we'd left most of it she couldn't fail to notice there must be something wrong) but she just said "oh, sorry" and sailed off, couldn't have cared less.

The other thing about the place is that it's gone really scruffy, tatty and not too clean in places. We sat at one table where you could see part of the kitchen floor and it left a great deal to be desired.

Won't be going back.