“Used to be good but it's gone SERIOUSLY DOWNHILL”
Review of The Barn

The Barn
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Scorton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Been visiting The Barn at Scorton (home of The Bowland Grill) for many years and, whilst noticing a decline, kept loyal to the place. Not any more. Their vegetable broth was legendary but even that isn't good any more, under seasoned and bland. The final straw for us though was the Hotpot, oh dear, truly dreadful. Looks great on first sight but what you get is a bowl full of huge chunks of undercooked potatoes and 2 tiny gristly bits of "chewy" meat. This is all topped with pastry that you could sole a shoe with and then walk from Landsend to John O'Groats without putting a dent in it! Maybe that's what all the walkers call there for! All joking aside it's awful. We did comment about it to the member of staff who cleared our table (as we'd left most of it she couldn't fail to notice there must be something wrong) but she just said "oh, sorry" and sailed off, couldn't have cared less.

The other thing about the place is that it's gone really scruffy, tatty and not too clean in places. We sat at one table where you could see part of the kitchen floor and it left a great deal to be desired.

Won't be going back.

2  Thank Nyn2010

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I visited the Barn last Saturday with my elderly great Aunt and Nan and I was very angry with our treatment. The seats were soaking wet with what appeared to be sweat and we were completely ignored for a long period of time while the staff dealt with loud groups of men who seemed to be regulars. When the food finally arrived it was of such poor quality that a greasy spoon would be embarrassed to serve it. The staff were miserable and ignorant when it came to paying the bill and we had to wait another lifetime just to get noticed to finally leave.

I did not complain, as my elderly relatives did not want the embarrassment but I will certainly not be returning here..ever.

43  Thank StuartAlan
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Barn used to be wonderful. The food always spot on, service great, shop well stocked as well as the plant department. Over the last few years it has changed and sadly not for the better. The gift shop is great, the building still quirky, plants virtually nil, food has totally gone down the drain compared to what it was. Today I had a baguette which was fine(I no longer eat the hot food here after having several meals which were not up to par) nothing to write home about but ok, followed by panettone bread and butter pudding with custard. The lady sitting at the table in front of me turned around and asked what it was like as it looked so good and I had to admit it was tasteless and hadn't been helped by the microwaving. She added that they were disappointed too. The coffee is good here and the sandwiches ok but that is as far as it goes, if you are wanting something more, sadly you may be better going elsewhere.

7  Thank nicola r
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Went wed 9 th jan 2013 extremely busy at lunch but was still served very quickly ! Excellent meal , lovely friendly staff and esspecially loved the fresh home made scones
Can't recommend this place highly enough
Been to a few eating establishments in garstang and surrounding area , but none has come to the high standard and warm atmosphere of the barn @ scorton ! Deffinately worth a visit
Will make it a regular lunch spot

3  Thank Lancsdiners
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My family and I have just returned from The Barn at Scorton. I am not accustomed to writing reviews (there are far too many charlatans) but I was so impressed on this occasion I decided to take the plunge. Upon visiting the Barn looking for any post Christmas bargains in the shop the food smelt so delicious we decided to indulge. Our meals were absolutely delicious. I logged on to this site and wondered if I had been to the same establishment! The one thing other reviewers have all agreed on is that it is very busy. An accolade in itself in these tough times particularly for the hospitaility industry. My husband and I both selected the hotpot (if I had read these reviews first I probably would not have, so I'm pleased I didn't). I am Oldham born and bred and was brought up with traditional Lancashire dishes. All I can say is excellent. The vegetables were just right and the meat was plentiful (and I liked the pastry!). Judging by the number of hotpots they appeared to be serving on a cold January day others clearly felt likewise. The comment about it being tatty is unfair. The Barn is a unique establishment, combining the shop, the nursery and the cafe. Yes, it doesn't have the formality of linen table cloths and there may be mismatched chairs in the cafe area but for me this is a big part of its charm,it is "rustic", homely and informal. It may have taken a few minutes for our table to be cleared but given that it was so busy it was not an issue and with full tummies and a warm glow (from the fire) we were in no hurry to depart. All in all a great meeting place to chill and relax - I will definitely be returning (with the girls) and hopefully enjoy a chinwag, a frothy coffee and one of their tempting scones. Go with an open mind, give the place a whirl - I have no doubt you will, like me, want to return! Daralyn W.

3  Thank Daralyn W