“A real hidden Gem :)”
Review of How Stean Gorge

How Stean Gorge
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Lofthouse
More attraction details
Owner description: How Stean Gorge is a natural wonder. A small tight gorge cutting its way through the limestone with caves, narrow paths and foot bridges. It also has a cafe, camp site and an outdoor activity center that caters for the public from 7 years to 70 + We provide many Outdoor Activities from our onsite Outdoor Activity Centre including Gorge Walking, Ghyll Scrambling, Abseiling, Caving, Canoeing, Canyoning and Yorkshires only Via Ferrata & Climbing Course. Accomodation - Camping available for upto 26 Pitch's, we also hire out pre erected tents. We have a selection of fire pits available on a 1st come basis and a large facilities block. There are also 2 x Bunkhouses to choose from one of which is located at Scar House Reservoir just a short drive from our site in Lofthouse, Pateley Bridge, Harrogate, HG3 5SF. Transport - If you are coming in a group we have 2, 16 seat minibus's which are available for hire.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect with this as I'm really not an outdoor type of person but this was GREAT!

Such an unexpected place to find once you go in through the gates and the 'hard hats' issued were a god send! It's a beautiful walk through the forest and then down into the gorge but be warned, it can be slippy as it is wet and suitable foot wear is a MUST.

I enjoyed it very much and fully recommend it to those who are able bodied and older children.

The more adventurous can do things like abseiling and there are many organised events that you can join in - including kiddies parties, which I imagine would be fanastic in this very different setting!

All reviews
in 54 reviews
"adventure"
in 32 reviews

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We booked my 11 year-old son's birthday at How Stean Gorge. Abseiling, Gorge Walking and a meal that the children really enjoyed in the cafe afterwards.

This was a really memorable experience, with excellent, friendly, experienced guides. The gorge is beautiful. The children loved it and the valuer for money was as good as we have ever found for a children's party with the event, a good tea and a DVD of the whole thing (via a GoPro on the guide's helmet) all included. Booking was easy and everyone at the venue was warm and welcoming.

Excellent if you are looking for something different and don't mind getting wet!

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Just returned from a weekend at How Stean Gorge and what a great time we had. The gorge is an experience not to be missed. My husband and I took the self guided tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was also fun to watch all the activities that were going on. I would recommend anyone visiting to take advantage of the campsite as we did. We stayed for 2 nights and did not want to leave! Fire pits for available for all and logs could be bought from the shop. We had a roaring fire both nights and were lovely and warm. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful and the food in the cafe is delicious. To anyone thinking of going...don't hesitate. Only £6 a night per adult to camp and you then get a half price entrance ticket to the gorge which lasts for the duration of your stay. Thank you How Stean, we'll be back!

Reviewed September 8, 2012

me (hollie) and my boyfriend chris went to how stean gorge for a weeks holiday due to another one being cacelled so i found the camp sight online and thought it looked brilliant. once we got there it was even better the site is amazing you have a lovley choice of were you can pitch your tent, the facilities on site are nice and are always clean and are a good size. The owner is a lovley guy very friendly and is a good laugh and all the staff also are very friendly and are helpfull and are willing to lend a helping hand if needed. The activites they provide are brilliant we did caving and short abseil/gorge and it was the best experiance of our lives, Deffiantley worth it and we will be deffiantley going again next year. :]

See more reviews
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Recently took part on the afternoon adventure. My son, 13 and myself; a rather unfit, middle aged Mum !! All three activities were brilliant .... But the gorge walking ... Or should I say walking /swimming... Was amazing... What could have been quite a daunting experience was made thoroughly enjoyable and safe by having such a fun but competent instructor (Aaron) with us.

I'd totally recommend this to anyone with a sense of adventure who isn't terrified of heights (!) We will definitely do this adventure again one day... After finishing the afternoon we'd have done it again the next day if money was no object .. Certainly the highlight of our Yorkshire holiday. A MUST DO if your in the area .

Thank you How Stean Gorge and Aaron :-)

1  Thank K J