“Great place for a romantic getaway!”

Badian Island Wellness Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Badian Island
Cebu
“Great place for a romantic getaway!”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

It was a 2hr drive from the city to their private port in Badian where I parked my car. On our way, the staff called to check on us and had a speedboat ready when we arrived at the port. It was a 3-5min boat ride to the resort where a receptionist greeted us as we docked and guided us through check-in.

We stayed in a spacious Junior Suite room, had a huge bed, and a nice veranda that was overlooking the sea. It was partially blocked with plants and trees though but thought it was a good view of nature and a relaxing atmosphere. The plants also provided some privacy especially that the open-air bathtub and shower was just next to the veranda. My wife immediately noticed no TV but I was OK with it for some detachment. The refrigerator was small and did not actually cool stuff but they brought bucket of ice to the room when requested. The water heater was not working at first and they were willing to have us transferred to another room because repair can't be done till the following morning. Since we liked the room's view, we just stayed and they had the heater fixed the following morning as promised. We did not find any wifi connection during our stay but I think they were just having problems with some equipment at that time since there were also power blackouts for the 2 nights we stayed. It took some while for their generators to kick in but we didn't really notice how long since we were sleeping.

The food tastes great and I think they must have an excellent chef. It's a bit pricey though comparing buffet selections you can get from other 5-star resorts or hotels in the city. The breakfast buffet definitely had limited selections. They had some entertainment though during dinner featuring Filipino cultural dance. The staff also surprised us with a serenade since it was our anniversary which was really nice and gave a personal touch to our stay. We also had an enjoyable tree planting ceremony.

There is only one swimming pool located near the restaurant, not a big one and no kiddie pool as well. The beachfront was not full of guests at that time so it was a quiet place to relax. There is a game area but haven't really seen much people spending time there. (Why would you when you've got a nice beach in front?) There are also some watersports facilities available for free. They had a bar at the beach front but we weren't able to try it out. They also have a small private beach at the other side of the island where you can snorkel. We took a 15-20min walk there from the resort since my wife is not a fan of boat rides and the tide at that time was not that calm for a small boat either. There is no bar/restaurant there to get refreshments and there is a surcharge for arranging a picnic lunch. The resort also had Spa facilities but we did not try it out. We found it too expensive comparing to spa facilities in other high-end spa or resorts in the city.

Finally, a group of staff bids farewell with a serenade as we boarded the boat on our way home. They are really very good in making your stay a personalized experience. For a romantic getaway and to enjoy each other's company away from the hustle and bustle of the city, it's a perfect place. I think it's too expensive though for the overall resort facilities so I just rated it Average. Is it a nice place to come back though? Sure it is but I'll have to think twice unless I get another good deal from the internet.

4 Thank Jay o

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
Hong kong
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I stayed there with my husband in January over CNY, the trip to the resort is three hours which should be considered if you're only going away for a short period.
The place is beautiful, a gorgeous stretch of beach. We had the half board package, breakfast was terrible! Dinner was good and we especially enjoyed the beach barbecue. The place itself is a bit dated now, I can imagine ten years ago it would have been fantastic but it desperately needs some maintenance and new decor. The staff there are fantastic, so charming and helpful!
We did have a great time and if it wasn't for the prices they charge for everything I would recommend staying. The entertainment was good if not a touch corny, the cocktails offered at happy hour where terrible! We stayed in the pool villa and enjoyed waking up to the private pool BUT at $495 a night I'd rather stay in a resort somewhere else which lived unto it's star rating.

Room Tip: Read the reviews from travelers who aren't from Cebu!!! I think they are a bit more helpful.
2 Thank CatherineLumsden02
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I stayed at Badian Island Resort with a guest and my husband and we had a great time. I have not heard of this resort and none of my friends know it as well, our guest (a Canadian) had already booked himself so my husband and I just followed suit. We had a very relaxing and peaceful stay and were so sorry to leave after just 3 days and 2 nights. The rooms are huge and attractively appointed.The food is delicious but the menu needs to be expanded. The service staff were very attentive but seemed quite tense and nervous when you talk to them. Maybe it is because some of them are trainees.

Here are things to look out for though: the island is 3 HOURS away from the airport so you have to incorporate the travel time to your schedule. The resort is the only thing in the island so you will have to take all your meals there, they offer an all inclusive package with unlimited drinks and the food is very good but quite expensive. Bring a bug repellant as there are mosquitos early in the morning and late in the afternoon. Entertainment is corny but tolerable. The tub and the shower room faces a walkway and other cottages with CLEAR GLASS as partition, so you can be seen from the outside. I had to request for a curtain as cover or I would not be able to take a shower. The refrigerator inside the room was not cold and despite my requests to have it fixed, nothing happened. As earlier mentioned the food was good but the cocktails were terrible, the bartender needs training baaaaad.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay but would like to suggest the following:

Update music selection, most of the music I heard during my stay were from the 70s I think. If you are going to have dancing as entertainment, then at least show truly Filipino folk dances and not the hula or latin american choices.

I was so impressed with Maria Catral, the GM of the resort. She was very gracious and efficient and she knew all the guests' names. WOW!

Room Tip: The pool villas are beautiful but quite expensive.
2 Thank Urduja1121
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I stayed with my wife during Christmas 2011. We were very satisfied almost in all areas of our stay: accommodation, food, service and wonderful people. The German owner, Mr. Scholz and his partner Maria have created a magnificent resort taking care of every single detail and being present all the time for the guests. The Badian Suite we stayed in was spacious, comfortable and of high quality. The view from the window was superb, although the lighting inside the room was not optimal at night. We would always return to this lovely place. The beach is sandy and clean, but one has to beware of stones and small rocks after entering the water. The friendly staff hands out water shoes free of charge.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank marc_martin
Reviewed January 13, 2012

If you are looking for tropical paradise, this is the place. Truly magical. The service is exceptional and the menu is the best. Fresh and organic. The beach is peaceful and the pool is lovely. The owners make your stay like home. They love their guests and treat them like family. 5 stars!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Doryspies
California
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Badian Island Resort is a very peaceful place. We had almost a one to one butler assigned to us. Our accomodation was excellent.Every morning when we wake up we will open our door to the balcony to a view of the mountain. My spa massage was done in a room with a view of the water. The food was delicious on all the meals we had. We enjoyed the trip to the waterfall. Before heading back to the hotel our driver dropped us to the market. I bought old Philippine bills.Even found a 20centavo paper money.My partner enjoyed the sweet fried plantaines at the sidewalk.

Room Tip: all rooms have a jacuzzi tub.room 39 was the first room on the corner.It was very spacious. It can s...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cagalang
California City, California
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed at this resort between October 27-30, 2011. There were 2 of us and we stayed at the Pool Villa. At $538/night, we expected a very comfortable accommodation including a bed that is of a 5-star resort quality. However, it was an old mattress on top of a bamboo bed frame...VERY, VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. Again, if you're going to charge $538/night, the owner should be fair to its customers by investing on good comfortable beds. Then, there's the air condition...we had to switch rooms because the air condition was not strong enough and even so, we had to request for additional fans. The insulation in the room is poorly designed. We have stayed at various other world class resorts in the Philippines (e.g. Amanpulo, El Nido Lagen, Pansukian) and accommodations are up to par with the price that they charge. There is only one redeeming quality of the room...but you actually have to walk outside the room...and that is the infinity pool with breathtaking views...really spectacular views. I really hope the owner reads this and does something about the room itself...also, the toilet should have privacy (ie. a real closed door) instead of a door where you can still see the person in there...it's very badly designed.

Now, here are the positives. Staff is excellent...they really go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. They should all get a raise. The food is impeccable but still a little over priced. We did the Kawasan Falls tour and the Island Hopping tour and both were great although the White Beach (part of the Island Hopping) is not really a white beach...more like dark beige...disappointing. But the Pescador Island snorkeling is a MUST...really amazing coral reefs, colorful fish and we experienced a spectacular vision of a school of sardines...WOW...

Overall, the whole experience is average because of the room. I would only return to this resort if they were to overhaul the accommodations. On the pool villas, the infinity pools are excellent...no change here... I cannot stress enough that the rooms and beds need major improvements...I advise the owner to stay at either Amanpulo or El Nido Lagen and you will see what I mean...If you don't want to change the rooms, then don't charge over $538/night.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Felix5555
AnaBorromeo, Manager at Badian Island Wellness Resort, responded to this review, December 17, 2011
16 Dec 2011

Dear Sir,

Mabuhay!

Thank you for staying with us recently. We appreciate your most constructive review regarding the bed, toilet door privacy and the air condition unit.

We regret to learn of your unpleasant experience during your stay at the Resort. At the outset, please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience this may have caused you.
Our king size beds with rattan frames are intended for the tropical weather such as the Philippines. Rattan is also superficially similar to bamboo. But unlike bamboo, rattan stems are solid. The flexibility and durability of rattan canes make them an effective material used in beautiful furniture making. Moreover, rattan is relatively more expensive than bamboo. The beds design has an open space under the mattress to promote proper ventilation.

Our green resorts' sustainability efforts encompass everything from recycling and organic waste diversion retrofitting energy-efficient lighting. As a Green Resort, we take as little from the environment as possible, to give back as much as we can, and to respect others with whom we share this place.
We are very lucky that we experience, mostly an ideal weather condition here. For extremely hot conditions, we provide in addition to the use of aircon, extra electric fans to the guest to enhance a cool and comfortable feel.

Concerning toilet privacy, we will be modifying the toilet doors to attend to your distress.

However it is my job to see that we find a way to apologize to the guests and encourage them to come back to see how great we really are and also to make sure that every guest’s comfort and satisfaction is met.

We are very sorry as well that our Resort is fairly expensive for you. Our prices are actually in line with all the other quality Resorts not just locally but internationally.

We thank you for your patronage and I hope that we will have an opportunity to redeem ourselves on your next visit. We will be most happy looking forward to welcome you back with all of our hearts.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies.

Yours sincerely

4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,188 reviews
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island

Been to Badian Island Wellness Resort? Share your experiences!