“Great pub/hotel/restaurant”

The White Lion Inn
Lincolnshire
“Great pub/hotel/restaurant”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed 1 night while at a conference at the Motorcycle Museum. It's a 20 minute walk to the museum or a 10 minute round the world drive! The village is very pretty and the pub very pub like. So its not a luxury hotel. The room I had was very adequate but not big. Reminded me of french hotel rooms which is perhaps not surprising as the landlady is French. Americans might be disappointed. The bed was merely a double and the doorways quite low/narrow - but this makes it "quaint". The evening meal was excellent with a good selection of beers and a good wine list. Breakfast also excellent with excellent coffee (I think this is really important - which is why the sachets of coffee in the bedroom should be something better than bog standard Nescafe). Free parking. Doors to the bedrooms very thin and the TV almost pointless. Would go again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

A group of us stayed here for 3 nights whilst at an exhibition at the NEC. Overall the experience everyone had could not be faulted. The owners and staff were very friendly and the meals were superb. I personaly stayed in room 7 which was one of the larger garden rooms - very nice. Would rather stay somewhere like this than Premier Inn or Travelodge.

Room Tip: Room 7 very good in the gardens.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Guinness4health
Martorell, Spain
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here because there was a show that I had to visit at the national motorcycle museum. This pub is in a beautiful little village only a few minutes from the M42 and near Birmingham Airport and the NEC. The pub seams to have been recently refurbished to a high quality. The room was small but clean. The quality of the food in the restaurant was fantastic and the beer was of a very high quality.

The only down side was the breakfast as the sausages were dry and it wasn´t up to what I would call a good standard. It was hard to keep the shower at a constant good temperature and the TV was tiny. I read other reviews that said the rooms are cold so I just cranked up the thermastat and it was fine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FieldFace
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This pub/b&b is very well located just off the motorway and 10 mins from Solihull. The breakfast was first class. The restaurant whilst some items on the menu weren't available was also very good and well priced, compliments to the chef.

Then we come to the accommodation and this is where it whispers. Yes the room was very small, no chair, bathroom door hinged as to close to the bottom of the bed. TV small yes no bigger than my laptop screen and could have done with swivlling. No ironing board. The back of this wardrobe was falling out. The bathroom lighting could have been more focused on the mirror.

It was clean it was warm and the bed was comfortable.

It wants to minimalist and that's good but for the price it demands some luxury. Better quality furniture and better layout would not go amiss.

It served my needs for 2 nights won't be on top of my list to sleep at when I am back. But I will consider it as a place to eat.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Stephen S
Plymouth, Devon
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed here for a work trip, at first glance the accommodaion seemed basic but tastefully done. After a few minutes I realised there was no main light in the bedroom, only bedside lamps which weren't bright enough to be able to do my hair and makeup. So I thought I'd use the bathroom to straighten my hair but there was no plug socket near the bathroom to plug the straighteners into. The tv was also tiny and there was no towel rail in the bathroom and no shelving to be able to put any towels or makeup etc on. Looking under the bed there were huge dust balls and although my room was a fairly decent size, my colleagues said that theirs were tiny. The breakfast was average and the bed was very soft which I hated. I was only here for one night but I can imagine that staying here any longer would be very frustrating. Having said this, the pub itself is very nice and the dinner we had was lovely. Outside there are lovely seating areas around the trees in the garden that would be great on a warn sunny day. I won't be staying again, this place could have been so much better but for the money it's just not worth it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KalexPlymouth_Devon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Our second stay at The White Lion, we gave it a second try as the location is convenient to the NEC. Our first stay was clouded by staff not turning up to serve Breakfast, leaving us with the option of no breakfast or arriving very late for a business meeting.
Our recent visit started with no heating in our bedroom on a freezing cold late afternoon, told we had to wait 2 hours for the owner to arrive before it could be sorted. We had to press the staff on duty to telephone for assistance - all that was required was a simple battery, hardly rocket science and the room should have been checked.
Staff try hard but are over whelmed and over worked.
Owners attitude in his own words 'we are here to make money'

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sarah B
raphanoa, Manager at The White Lion Inn, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
We are very sorry you have felt the need to make this review ,but,we feel that we must point out that the failed thermostat battery was replaced within 20 minutes and not two hours. Unfortunately batteries have a finite lifespan and that they must expire at some point during a 24 hour day !!
With regard to your other comments ,there are two sides to every story, and we all have our own opinions,overwhelmed and overworked are not the words we would use to descibe our staff.Harangued may be a better description !
We are also very sorry that you are not comfortable with us making money as a business and have not met your requirements now on two occasions !
We hope that you will find more suitable accomodation within 3 miles of the NEC in future, that is more suited to your needs and budget.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We booked on the strength of some good reviews on Trip Advisor. Perhaps our ideas of ‘Very good’ or ‘Average’ are not the same as the majority. I feel almost disloyal in writing this review as the staff and owners are really lovely, they were attentive, friendly and welcoming. It actually wouldn’t take much effort or expense on their part to make this a truly fabulous little gastro pub with rooms. At the moment, however, it is certainly none of these things. I speak as someone who stays in B&Bs priced similarly (around £75-£85 per double room) frequently, so do feel I have experience of standards which are being met across the country.
The location is a lovely village less than 10 mins to the NEC and whilst on a quite busy road there was no road noise in the guest annex rooms and we had a very quiet night. The pub serves good beer in a traditional environment with a modern twist. The cooked breakfast was excellent (apart from the orange juice mentioned by a previous reviewer which can best be described as weak orange squash and absolutely ghastly). There’s a large car park, free Wifi, and a varied and interesting dinner menu (see later).
The rooms are quite small, very simply furnished, almost to the point of being spartan. A few soft furnishings such as a fitted carpet in the bedrooms we felt would really have improved the atmosphere and would make it feel less clinical. The wall mounted TV was ridiculously small (12”) and there was no shaver point in the bathroom; all false economies in our opinion. However, taste in interior design is subjective, and we were not paying top-notch so didn’t expect too much. The bathroom shelf was falling off the wall. A lack of attention to detail here but the real issue for us was the general cleanliness of the rooms which I honestly don’t think had been properly dusted in months. I dropped an earring and had to rummage around under the bedside unit. Oh I so wish I hadn’t. Dusting is not just about a quick flick of a duster on the surfaces you can easily see, but also getting to those areas you can’t see so easily. I then didn’t have to look too much further to realise my coat which I’d placed on top of a low level wardrobe (eye-height) was covered with dust. The skirting boards were the same, the top surfaces of the lamp bases; all thick with dust (and hair). We didn’t notice any of this until the morning or we would have complained. Frankly by then we just wanted to get out and leave quietly. Such a shame. If housekeeping aren’t doing their job properly its up the management to see they are not. Cleanliness, warmth and security are surely the most important basic elements to any successful B&B, no matter what price is being charged.
The pub food menu is large, varied and interesting, with a definite French influence. Sadly we felt the food was rather bland, unimaginatively presented and overpriced for what is was. (£16 for a main course). Only three tables were occupied that night, and the bar area was very quiet too.
I honestly wish I could recommend The White Lion, but feel I cannot. So much about it has promise but a small business such as this cannot survive on friendly staff alone. We will not be returning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Sue S
raphanoa, Owner at The White Lion Inn, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Firstly ,sorry for the delay in responding to your comments.
We take all reviews seriously.
We are sorry you did not appreciate the decoration of your room.The wooden flooring in the outside rooms where you stayed are not just for fashion reasons,but for practicality as well . Fitted carpets would become filthy in no time at all and require replacement every couple of months.
With regards to the menu,our main courses start from £9-25 for locally made sausage,mash and peas, going up to £19-95 for Steak Tartare,with various daily specials as well.We actually offer 18 standard main courses,with prices across the board averaging out at £12-57.
With regards to any cleaning issues,all rooms are obviously cleaned after each visitor. You say that the room was thick with dust but did not realise till the next morning and did not bring this to our attention. You quite rightly say that cleanliness is a basic requirement, and we most strongly agree. Had we been made aware of any issues ,these would have been attended to immediately.
Your comment regarding how many people were using the pub,we find strange,especially for a cold Tuesday evening in the third week in January !
Again,we are sorry you did not enjoy your stay,however ,the first time we were aware of any issues was via this review. Perhaps if something had been said during your visit,these could have been attended to at the time.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampton-in-Arden
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Hogarths Hotel
Hogarths Hotel
#1 of 2 in Dorridge

Been to The White Lion Inn? Share your experiences!