The White Lion Inn at Hampton-in-Arden is a traditional country pub, blended with good, contemporary dining and snug, slightly quirky accommodation.
The pub is very much the village inn and has a lively but warm atmosphere and a good range of ales and ciders. It is popular with the locals and therefore drinks prices are reasonable. The restaurant is at the rear of the premises and has a much more modern feel to the bar. The decor is tasteful and the service friendly and informal, but still professional. Of the six dishes we tried, all were very good or better, with the rest of the menu seaming well planned. The daily specials did seem to run out rather quickly. Prices are competitive and had a good spread of cheaper and more expensive dishes.
The accommodation is split between the main building (where we were situated) and converted outbuildings. The rooms within the main building are accessed from an external, open mezzanine style staircase, which is a challenge for those wearing stilettos! Once inside, there is a wonderfully quirky corridor, with some very low ceilings, leading to rooms accessed by wooden doors of varying shapes and sizes. The rooms themselves are on the small side, but are comfortable, clean and tastefully decorated. Being part of the main building, they are affected by noise from the vibrant pub below, especially on a Saturday when the bar stays open until the early hours. Also, the church clock opposite chimes on the hour all night, but which will annoy some and charm others.
Breakfast was excellent, a varied choice also offered to non-residents, which means that the quality is good and not a mere afterthought.
The village is limited on shops, but a short trip to the quaint and excellent shops and eateries in Knowle is rewarding, more great shopping at Solihull no more than 15 minutes away. Birmingham, Coventry and Stratford-upon-Avon are all within easy reach.
In all, our stay was excellent and good value too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A very warm welcome awaits you at The White Lion Inn where close attention is given to ensure your comfort and enjoyment. We are just five minutes from the M42 and 500 metres from Hampton-in-Arden railway station which a five minute train ride to and from the NEC, LG Arena and Birmingham International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your The White Lion Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The White Lion Hotel Hampton-In-Arden
- The White Lion Inn Hampton-In-Arden, Solihull, UK