“Such high expectations & sadly the food didn't deliver!”

Keepers Cottage Inn
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I'll keep it brief. As I know no one wants to read waffle.

A lovely atmosphere in a quaint local pub. We were staying nearby in a b&b for work. The specials board and menu looked so inviting.

I don't know if I just misordered or if the chef was having an off day but the chicken breast was the driest I've ever experienced & I eat out a lot! In edible in places. The food was presented well but even the 'potato dauphinois' looked like it has been prepared using American style 'squeezy' cheese!

My colleagues salmon looked ok and the staff were very friendly and locals too.

Worth a visit if you are in the area but personally i'd steer clear of the chicken breast in creamy garlic sauce. The sauce didn't help to absorb the dry chicken!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Quaint country pub with nice atmosphere Managed to squeeze us in at late notice, never ate there before. Had a lovely sunday roast. Plenty of fresh veg not overcooked like so many places. Has to wait a bit for food and were kindly offered a free drink to compensate. All produce resourced locally. Would recommend and definetly go again.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We ate here following a recommendation. The portions were so enormous it was competely ridiculous. I had Steak and Ale pie from the specials board - my serving would have comfortably fed three people. When commenting to the serving staff about this the reply ws " everyone says the same!". A lesson for proprietors here - a small portion would cut wastage, reduce your overheads and maybe even allow the dinmer to order a dessert! The coffee was weak to the point of being undrinkable, and service was very hit-and-miss - we waited over 15 minutes to have our dirty plates cleared from the table. And why do pubs insist on adding unncessary details - polyester table cloths don't add any value to the dining experience. a clean wooden table would be far better than a crumby cloth. I wouldn't return,or recommend it.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

A small group of retierd folk, meet twice a year for dinner at different pubs. We have been to Keepers Cottage before, and generally found it very good.As far as food and service was concerned it was as good as ever, although the menu seemed considerably reduced. On arrival, the bar was packed with men in working overalls, loudly expressing themselves in vile language, there was no respect for the women in our party. The toilets were very "tired" and shabby, there was only one old fashioned roller towell, soaking wet. Things will have to improve before we visit again.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We went for a meal and the food was very good, main course and sweet, portion are generous. i would describe it as rustic and eat in the bar as the restaurant was not available that night. The restaurant may be smarter but we never looked inside, would definatly go again

1  Thank Shrimper3