“Decent food but quite pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Paul bert

Le Paul bert
Ranked #8 of 13 Restaurants in Saint Ouen
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Decent food but quite pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I'd lunch there on a Sunday morning when I visited the flea markets.

The food was decent but quite pricey. Maybe it's because most customers were tourists or locals visiting the flea markets.

The atmosphere was lively and you could watch the world go by. But service was a bit slow.

• Visited October 2013

New York City, New York
“Cute place with good ambience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Followed Rick Steve's book, found the saint-ouen flea market on a sunday morning, when most of Paris is closed,and had lunch at this nice cafe. There were a lot of locals here, the menu was extensive,and changes all the time, the waiter told us. The olive spread they had on the table was delicious. I ordered the duck ,the meat was over done,but the flavor was good,the fig came with the duck was cooked perfectly. I saw other tables with some good looking dishes. We sat inside,it has big windows, we got to enjoy the street view and sunshine without the bother of cigarettes.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Nelly L
Brisbane, Australia
“French dining experience a must when visiting the Puces”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We came to visit the markets on a Monday during August so it wasn't busy at all. The restaurant was nearly empty at 2 when we arrived but we were seated and I order taken quite quickly. The food was fresh, huge potions (we couldn't finish our mains) and good value - 15.90€ for the menu incl entree main and wine.

• Visited August 2013
Los Angeles
“Good service on our night; warm welcome; large portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I wouldn't go out of my way to eat at any of the places I've eaten at, at Les Puces, but if I have to eat at Les Puces, this is where I'm going (unless I want some other type of food - I'm going to try some ethnic foods next time).

Le Paul Bert is large. It had more than adequate staff to attend to all its tables (we were really surprised, at big Parisian restaurants, sometimes the staff seems super super overworked). Our waitress was particularly smiley - and I had lots of opportunity to observe because we stayed at our table for more than 4 hours, listening to live music. We left for awhile, came back and took a different table for coffee - so we spent a lot of time here.

The majority of the customers were French. It was really fun being amidst such a wide variety of French people, lots of couples on dates, lots of young families, older couples, big families, small families, you name it. Some people, like us, took a long time with their orders/meals and others were there just to dine. The waiters seemed attentive to both styles of service. I am not sure how English-friendly they were, overly, because the server and I quickly took to speaking in French and she made every effort to understand several requests/comments I made in what I consider to be highly-accented and intermediate French.

We started with Corsican charcuterie - probably the most expensive thing on the entrée menu, about 16€. It was, from my point of view, huge, varied and very interesting. The bread was better than average. I had a gin and tonic as an aperitif and then switched to house wine - both were served up right away. Then, we took about 2 hours to eat that charcuterie - and we were sad we couldn't finish it all. My dining partner claimed no room for dinner, but I waited another hour and voilà, I was hungry enough to try the roast chicken. I had been looking for a plain roast chicken and figured this was the place to do it - and it was promptly served up, with french fries that rated a 4 out of 5 on my French fry scale. So good.

The very nice and warm welcome that enabled us to stay at our table in comfort for so long, without any pressure to leave, despite our desultory ordering of things (we made up for the food orders on the drink orders, pretty sure) was great. We weren't the only ones there to enjoy the music (which is *not* nightly - you have to figure out when there's going to be live music at the nearby Cap venue if that's part of why you're there), there were lots of people who were just nursing their drinks - and the staff was smiling, chatting and very friendly to all.

As to the food, I can go mostly by what I overheard from the other tables nearby - in particular a young family who had a lap baby (they warmed lap baby's food ahead of doing anything else) and a 4 year old. 4 year old devoured his hamburger quite well, mom and dad commented several times about liking their food (I can't remember what they had). A man ordering téte-a-veau (not sure it's always on their menu) ate it up promptly, chatted happily with the waitress (as did his wife who ordered only some kind of terrine) and went away looking quite satisfied (they were in their 60's, French, and seemed like they may have been there before, given their conversations with a couple of the waitstaff).

The two women behind us raved over their French onion soup. Another group ordered a second cheese plate and we could overhear them asking which great cheeses were on the plate and so on (our plate's cheese were among the best we had at a restaurant so far - apparently all from Corsica).

But our charcuterie (which we rarely order), and my chicken were great. They had a beer stand, too (plastic cups for wandering closer to the music), beverages were not priced out of this world and they pour the kind of rum and coke where they give you a double shot of rum and then bring the coke bottle).

Le Paul Bert seems devoted to way better-than-average food in a venue that is by its nature swamped by people and has to be welcoming to people striking business deals (there was that too), families tired after a day of shopping, people coming for the live music, merchants wanting a drink at the end of a business day, etc., etc. It's pretty close to Les Chopes, too - which was great (my dining partner kept an eye out on what was going on over there, too - it was too crowded to possibly get one's body in the door that night; one of the Garcias was playing guitar - but you could walk over from Le Paul Bert and listen from outside - so there were two live music venues going on at one point).

Oh, and they had an authentic guinguette with a *great* guitarist and a *fine* accordionist going all evening long about 30 paces from the restaurant and lots of the patrons were in groups, and they would go dance for awhile, then come back to refresh themselves and laugh and just in general were having a good time - if that doesn't constitute "great ambiance" I don't know what does!

• Visited June 2013
new york
“Pleasant place, low quality food and crapy service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We have been correctly welcomed at the terrace of this pleasant restaurant.
We ordered two big salads and a plate of french fries for our young daughter, they refused to serve us a simple french fries plate, so we ordered ham with it.
The salad was not very good, there was no ham in my plate ad i found pieces of plastic in my mozzarella.
As the staff was overcrowded, and as we didn't want to stay too long we didn't ask for changing plates.
When we warned the staff before paying, and ask for a small compensation (coffee for free or anything else) they just didn't consider our problem and where almost rude with us.
So, there are a lot of pleasant restaurant all around : do not go there.

• Visited July 2013