“I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!!”

Estancia San Pedro Viejo
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Pedro Norte
Reviewed December 22, 2010

I had researched for an estancia/ranch experience for our family in South America and chose San Pedro. We arrived at sunset and seeing the beautiful chapel lit up across the pond and the discrete lighting amongst the parkland setting and traditional style buildings was heavenly. The rooms were spacious and spotlessly clean with both antique furniture and huge modern king size beds and spas. The theme of the very best of the past and the traditional ways combined with the best of modern life (wi fi everywhere kept my teenagers happy telling their facebook friends how great their stay was) continued.
We booked five nights and would have easily enjoyed a fortnight. I would highly recommend coming straight to San Pedro after landing in Buenos Aires, then tackle that wonderful city after a great rest.
The hacienda is a working farm owned by a large family and they employ only local people. The staff were universally delightful, kind and patient. They spoke no english and we spoke no spanish but with mime and a sense of humour we always sorted out any needs. The food is served very regularly and in different locations around the hacienda and one memorable day outside of an abandoned farmhouse. Another time we were surprised by being led by lantern light across the parkland to the original building that served as a wayside inn in the early 18th centrury. Dinner was served very formally with candlebras lit in room of our own that was so atmospheric. If only those old walls could talk.
We have seen some wonderful places in Europe but the sense of history evoked at San Pedro Estancia was unique and exquisite.
Finally, our host, Diego was all one could wish for and more. He spoke very good English and translated for us if necessary. Every evening, he would discuss what we might like to do the next day and make suggestions as to how, when, why etc. We could have been completely active or fully relax by the pool or in the shade of the verandahs.
I cannot recommend this place more highly and hope the reader has the same opportunity to experience San Pedro Estancia as we did.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank maryrosomane

Reviewed December 22, 2010

Service: Very good, the host was really friendly and prepared to do whatever we wanted, like showing us the chapel, telling us the history, going on horse rides.

Rooms: Very nice. Never seen a spa-bath that big! Each room was unique, with hand-crafted items.

Dining: Best food! Each dinner was different and really nice. The breakfasts were ok - I don't really like continental breakfasts, but it was still nice, with home-made cakes and nice teas made from herbs around the area. They served each meal in a different place - one night we had a formal dinner in the oldest building, beautiful furniture, candles, and paintings. The food was really, really good.

Amneties: The pool was really nice, a bit chilly when we were there, but very refreshing after a long horse ride. The wifi, however, was very good. Being a teenager, i like to keep in contact with my friends, and so the wifi was very good!

Activities: The horseriding was the best. The horses have the smoothest gait, due to the breed ('Paso' horses), and the saddles were very comfortable, because they had so many sheepskins and blankets on them. For the non-horse-riders, there is a few carriages, which my mum liked.
There were also other activities, like trips out to the salt lake, which was very, very impressive.

All in all, it was a beautiful place, and it was really good.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Isabella253
Reviewed June 9, 2010

My wife and I stayed at San Pedro Viejo in December of 2009 and had a fabulous time. We were one of two couples staying at the estancia. The food was excellent, accommodations were great with updated bathrooms and the staff were all very friendly. The food was excellent.

The best part about San Pedro Viejo is the quality of horses. My wife is an experienced rider while I am only a beginner. The horses were trained extremely well and were very responsive to commands. The paso horses also have a gait which creates a very smooth experience on the horse (no need to post), even while cantering. This allowed us to do 2 rides a day with minimal saddle soreness. Even as a new rider, I felt like a pro by the end of my time. My horse DeNiro takes most of the credit though.

Many thanks to Chachi and Franco for taking us on some fantastic rides and for showing us their town. The scenery at the estancia was truly spectacular.

My only real complaint about our stay was the pool. They have a fabulous pool but it needed a cleaning and a bit more chlorine. It sounds like this problem has been fixed though since no one else has been complaining about it.

Also, one very very small thing. They charged 3-4 pesos for large glass bottles of water at the meals. The bottles seemed to be refilled using the local well water. I would understand if it were new bottles of water, but refills from the well? Since it was only $0.75 USD, it wasn't a big deal at all but it was an unusual surprise on the bill after what was otherwise a fantastic stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 60,614
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I thought the estancia was a great place to visit. The history of the place was interesting and the decoration was very thoughtful. The staff were friendly and very helpfull. The horse riding was great and they were very special.
I think most guest go there to relax and it is a very pleasant place to relax. We were looking for lots of activities. So perhaps you could explore what other outdoor activities it would be possible to do, like biking or hiking perhaps?
It was a great place to visit and very luxurious.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank petejude_10
sanpedroviejo, Guest Relations Manager at Estancia San Pedro Viejo, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2010

Thank you very much for the coments! it was grate to have you here in the estancia, we had good time with you also.
The rides on our paso horses are the main activity, but we also have very intresting hikes, bycing and we go to the salt valley to see sunset and make an outdoor asado.
I hope you can come back soon.
regards

Reviewed April 5, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights in Nov 2009. Out of a 3 week trip in Argentina, this was the most memorable and enjoyable experience. The ranch itself has been beautifully maintained, the rooms are clean with mod cons yet kept in a traditional manner. The food is fantastic, all freshly prepared from local produce. The horse-ride out to a neighbouring ranch is a must-do, the lunch at the end is worth the journey!
The staff are friendly and look after you ever so well.
Definitely recommended to all looking for an extra special experience.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank deedub-uk
Reviewed March 22, 2010

This is a lovely hotel which very much has the feel of a ranch which is what is used to be till the owners moved away but left their lovely Paso horses and same family that has worked the farm for generations. The Paso horses are a delight to ride especially for people not used to riding as their gait is very comfortable. There are lovely rides locally and the terrain is more varied, interesting and mountainous than what we found in the Buenos Aires Province. Getting here is a little bit of a trip from Cordoba but if staying 2/3 nights it is worth it. The food is lovely and the staff are very friendly and obliging. We were on our honeymoon and it was a really special place to be. The collection of buildings is literally a national treasure, and I was not surprised to see the photo of the church on a calendar in the airport. Save up and come here. Andes Airlines sell tickets online and make Cordoba reachable on the way to or from Salta by air. I will always remember this place.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank unusualusername
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Excellent place. Very friendly staff, make you feel confortable. We went there with the purpose of horsebackriding, and that´s what we did whenever we wanted. My teenage kids also enjoyed the cooking lessons very much.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank silmcl

Been to Estancia San Pedro Viejo? Share your experiences!