“the worst expirence ever!!”

and 1 more site!
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Gretna
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Upon arriving after a long car ride we were both looking forward to a welcome greeting, which you would expect if your staying in a hotel, its not unusual expectation, not to be had im afraid, it was frosty and no effort was made to make small talk, we werent even treated to eye contact!! (and this was the start of our wedding)

On the way to our 1st room (Romeo and Juliet) we looked around at all the letters of thanks plastered over the walls, commenting on the good experiences couples had had in the past and we just figured we had imagined the frosty greeting maybe because we were tired.....(when we looked again we realised couldnt find a positive letter one that dated past 2005, some 5yrs previously)

This was the 1st time we met the wife of the management team........but not the last unfortunately as she got much worse over the next 3 days, I actually thought I was on a wind up show and my friends where going to appear around the corner at any given moment saying ''gotta ya'' it was that bad and It did ruin our wedding for us and our famillies that had also booked rooms.
It has took me since easter (3rd April 2010) to calm down and write this review objectively. With the exception of the young blonde lady on the bar that weekend all the staff where extremely rude, it is a family managed hotel which is not at all professional.
One bizarre example, on its own not a problem, but with everything else it just made it look a like a unfunny secene from ''Faulty Towers'' was that they saw fit to eat their family evening meal in reception every night..
When we complained about the noisy plumbing and tatty decor, ie curtains falling off the rails and bed drapes falling down in the Romeo and Juliet suite we where told by wife of the team well you have booked the cheapest room!! and offered the Francesco and Paulo room at a surcharge of over fifty pounds more, what a cheek !!
( We accepted the new room as it was lovely (Francesco and paulo) even though not cleaned properly, ie sweet wrappers, hair clips and underwear in all the drawers) but What upset us more was that they didnt even deal with the problem or acknowledge our complaint but just stiffed us for more money and were very rude with it!!
The day of my wedding I needed to iron a satin jacket to go over my dress, the iron in the new room was sticky/burnt, ok not to much of a disaster and a problem that could be fixed easily with house keeping/reception but on seeing whom was manning reception I choose to solve the problem myself, as didnt want to be upset on my wedding day by that horrid woman yet again..so with 5 other rooms booked out to our families I started ringing round for a clean iron... ALL 5 AND MINE WERE IN THE SAME STATE !!!!
So husband to be went to reception to deal with this matter and guess what no more in house keeping .... he had to suggest it may be a good idea to get one from an empty room and deliver it to us, one came eventually, but in the same state and still with no apologies or acknowledgement of the grief we were having to put up with.
With the clock ticking I attended my wedding without half my intented outfit, cold and rather hacked off!!
Church was lovely and so was service ect, but I just didnt want to go back to the hotel, food was ok cant complain..but it did come from an outside catering company as we saw the van outside on the way back in from our service.
This hotel and the staff where a joke and couldnt be even turned around by the hotel inspector, my only regret is that my father payed for all the extra rooms and the food, and if it had been us paying we would of not payed them a single penny.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank NickBaxter

Reviewed February 28, 2010

Stayed for 2nts June 2008 for our Wedding.
We booked the Paulo & Frencessca suite for the wedding night - perfect in every way.
Food was out of this world, both in the bar the night before our wedding and for the wedding breakfast (some guests had steak - cooked to order and done perfectly, while others had chicken supreme).
Staff really friendly and cannot do enough for you.
Don't be put off by the hotels website as it doesn't do it justice.
17 of us stayed, including 1 child aged 3 - not one of us had a negative comment about our stay.
I really reccommend this hotel for your wedding reception.... I wouldn't have changed a thing.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mrs_L_2010
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Having just read a few awful reviews of the Gretna Chase, I thought I should put my twopennyworth in to balance the reviews a bit!

We, like another reviewer, had our stay organised by the Gretna wedding bureau as part of our wedding package. We were getting married on a Friday so arrived on the Thursday evening to a fairly warm welcome. I say that, because, like some others have commented, the lady on reception (who I believed to be the owner) was somewhat tetchy/frosty but not so much as to spoil things as such - after all, I was here to get married, so if that was the worst thing to happen, it can't be all that bad!! All was correct with our booking for 21 people in our group, so we really had no cause to complain! One thing I might say about the booking is that if you are booking well in advance, they do confirm everything in writing, so you have plenty of opportunity to check things and make any changes as necessary.

We found our rooms to be clean and well presented. Our bridal suite was Paolo & Francesca, which I believe to be one of the more recently refurbed rooms. It was lovely. the only thing I would remark upon is the darkness of the colour schemes. However, the room was well lit and airy so no problems there.

We found the lady behind the bar in the evening, to be extremely friendly and personable. We had already visited the hotel last Easter to check it all out and, as it was not very busy, spent almost the entire evening chatting to her! The main bar is not huge, but considering we had practically the run of the hotel on our wedding day, we did not find this to be a problem. The reception room is certainly big enough!

Our wedding meal was all fantastic, we had made all our choices in advance. As I am a vegetarian, I wanted to make sure I would have something nice, so I requested a special dish and they were more than happy to oblige. However, I must say that there were plenty of vegetarian options. Two of the latter were curry type things which I didn't really fell would be suitable for a wedding meal, but that's just my opinion! The dessert trolley was offered at the end of our meal and we had no problems finding something delicious!

The hotel itself doesn't have 5-star facilities, nor does it claim to have. But for our purposes, we found it perfect.

The hotel has a lovely, very well tended, garden outside and plenty of picnic-style tables with benches for those al fresco moments. We were extremely lucky with the weather and so were able to enjoy both inside and outside the hotel until at least 10pm that night!

By the way, there is plenty of free parking and as it is a semi-rural area, although it is by the main road, it is fairly quiet and I for one, slept really well.

Nearby, there is an Outlet shopping centre that is well worth a visit, which we did at Easter and got loads of bargains.

Finally, I must tell you that the Gretna Chase is actually just outside the border of Scotland, so we travelled from England to Scotland to get married - not a great distance but there you go!

I would thoroughly recommend the Gretna Chase; we will definitely return one day.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank littley
Reviewed November 6, 2009

We booked the Gretna Chase hotel as part of a wedding package through the Gretna Wedding Bureau and I must admit I was thinking that I would receive an average deal........... How wrong I was, from the moment that I booked that hotel, they could not do enough for me, I was worried as I was planning a wedding from over two hundred miles away and I knew that the ceremony part would be sorted but the actual hotel, meal etc was my main concern.
Although I was the one that made the telephone calls to finalise details, the correspondence and telephone information was excellent. There was no pressure and everything that I requested was granted, they even reminded me that I needed to have things ordered and paid for by certain dates.
When myself and my future husband arrived the night before along with my extended family, the hotel staff were very helpful. They took time out to show my the room that would be used to hold the wedding meal and evening 'disco' event. We were booked into the bridal suite along with a bottle of champagne, box of chocolates and free sherry!!
They took my flowers from me and placed them in the outside shed, the table planner, flavours, menus etc and explained that it all would be taken care of. They ran through how the day would proceed and told me that if at anytime I was unsure of anything then all I had to do was ask.
On the morning of the wedding, I had no input with the way the room was set up which to me was a headache, although I was passed messages from beyond the door that the room was being set up lovely, I had to believe this and know that I would have to wait until I returned after being married.
On our return from the ceremony at approx 3.30pm, the hotel staff again were excellent, obviously this was not the first time that they had performed a wedding event and were extremely professional and caring at the same time. With each stage of the day, my husband and I were introduced, served first and made to feel sooooooooooo special, like we were the only people that had had their wedding here.
When the meal was finished with, we were informed that the room would be ready for the evening at 7.30pm. They rearranged the tables so as not to appear so formal and then left us to enjoy the evening, the only interuption came from them declaring that the buffet was ready.
I know that all of our guests enjoyed the day and I was delighted with the hotel.
Thank you Gretna Chase for making my wedding day soooo special.
Mr and Mrs Hills

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Googysnax
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Went to a wedding which was wonderful and everything was perfect until you wanted order a drink at this hotel... The bar staff unfortunately had left their personalities at home, and instead brought along their 'how to rub people up the wrong way' attitude. Asking for a drink from them was an ordeal and they made no bones about how annoyed they were with you if YOU didnt act like the perfect customer. Oddly enough it wasn't just one of them....it was bloody ALL of them!! which makes it so amazing.... you would think a place with such beautiful settings and a well known history up and down the country, not to mention a wedding venue, which really should be a happy event? would adopt a more welcomming approach. All they managed to do was induce thoughts of where you would like to insert your glass once you had finished your drink?
At the end of the night the DJ played the last song, put the lights on and there stood a member of the bar staff, with a face on, presenting the groom with his coat and cards and may have well have said 'bog off now and shut the door on the way out'?? If the groom wasn't so shocked he would'nt have done anything other than laugh!!! He did announce though 'ever get the feeling you out stayed your welcome'????
These days and during a recession you would think customer service and a smile would be paramount in order to keep business flowing, unfortunately not here.
If i was the boss they would get their p45's.

• Stayed: October 2009
4  Thank BoabNorfolk
Reviewed October 19, 2009

just came back from a wedding at the chase,the hotel was clean and airy,it really looked the part inside and out.the rooms were really nice.the receptionist and waitresses were wonderful,the only downside to this hotel was the man and woman serving behind the bar,rude ,abrupt,unfriendly,impatient,you name it .they should have been thankfull that we were spending large amounts of money there but we just felt we were were unwelcome and not wantedthey really ought to get their act together.

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank stella89
Reviewed September 30, 2009

We stayed at Gretna Chase for my daughter's wedding in September 2009 and were delighted with the hotel. It wasn't their first choice but I am so glad that that one was fully booked ! The rooms in this hotel are very big, clean and you are provided with all you could need. The wedding reception was held here and the whole party commented on the quality of the food. We ate in the bar one night and again the food was of a high standard. It seems to be a family run hotel & the staff multi task -they are very pleasant with the odd exception, but by the time we left even they had started to lighten up and in no way spoiled our stay., I would love to return there one day but they need to cook the breakfast sausages more -they are anaemic !

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank utd7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
The Gables Hotel
#2 of 4 in Gretna Green
Solway Lodge Hotel
Solway Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna

Been to The Gretna Chase Hotel? Share your experiences!