“Perfect Wedding reception venue”

The Gretna Chase Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Gretna
Bradford, West Yorkshire
“Perfect Wedding reception venue”
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Stayed for 2nts June 2008 for our Wedding.
We booked the Paulo & Frencessca suite for the wedding night - perfect in every way.
Food was out of this world, both in the bar the night before our wedding and for the wedding breakfast (some guests had steak - cooked to order and done perfectly, while others had chicken supreme).
Staff really friendly and cannot do enough for you.
Don't be put off by the hotels website as it doesn't do it justice.
17 of us stayed, including 1 child aged 3 - not one of us had a negative comment about our stay.
I really reccommend this hotel for your wedding reception.... I wouldn't have changed a thing.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mrs_L_2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Having just read a few awful reviews of the Gretna Chase, I thought I should put my twopennyworth in to balance the reviews a bit!

We, like another reviewer, had our stay organised by the Gretna wedding bureau as part of our wedding package. We were getting married on a Friday so arrived on the Thursday evening to a fairly warm welcome. I say that, because, like some others have commented, the lady on reception (who I believed to be the owner) was somewhat tetchy/frosty but not so much as to spoil things as such - after all, I was here to get married, so if that was the worst thing to happen, it can't be all that bad!! All was correct with our booking for 21 people in our group, so we really had no cause to complain! One thing I might say about the booking is that if you are booking well in advance, they do confirm everything in writing, so you have plenty of opportunity to check things and make any changes as necessary.

We found our rooms to be clean and well presented. Our bridal suite was Paolo & Francesca, which I believe to be one of the more recently refurbed rooms. It was lovely. the only thing I would remark upon is the darkness of the colour schemes. However, the room was well lit and airy so no problems there.

We found the lady behind the bar in the evening, to be extremely friendly and personable. We had already visited the hotel last Easter to check it all out and, as it was not very busy, spent almost the entire evening chatting to her! The main bar is not huge, but considering we had practically the run of the hotel on our wedding day, we did not find this to be a problem. The reception room is certainly big enough!

Our wedding meal was all fantastic, we had made all our choices in advance. As I am a vegetarian, I wanted to make sure I would have something nice, so I requested a special dish and they were more than happy to oblige. However, I must say that there were plenty of vegetarian options. Two of the latter were curry type things which I didn't really fell would be suitable for a wedding meal, but that's just my opinion! The dessert trolley was offered at the end of our meal and we had no problems finding something delicious!

The hotel itself doesn't have 5-star facilities, nor does it claim to have. But for our purposes, we found it perfect.

The hotel has a lovely, very well tended, garden outside and plenty of picnic-style tables with benches for those al fresco moments. We were extremely lucky with the weather and so were able to enjoy both inside and outside the hotel until at least 10pm that night!

By the way, there is plenty of free parking and as it is a semi-rural area, although it is by the main road, it is fairly quiet and I for one, slept really well.

Nearby, there is an Outlet shopping centre that is well worth a visit, which we did at Easter and got loads of bargains.

Finally, I must tell you that the Gretna Chase is actually just outside the border of Scotland, so we travelled from England to Scotland to get married - not a great distance but there you go!

I would thoroughly recommend the Gretna Chase; we will definitely return one day.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank littley
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2009

We booked the Gretna Chase hotel as part of a wedding package through the Gretna Wedding Bureau and I must admit I was thinking that I would receive an average deal........... How wrong I was, from the moment that I booked that hotel, they could not do enough for me, I was worried as I was planning a wedding from over two hundred miles away and I knew that the ceremony part would be sorted but the actual hotel, meal etc was my main concern.
Although I was the one that made the telephone calls to finalise details, the correspondence and telephone information was excellent. There was no pressure and everything that I requested was granted, they even reminded me that I needed to have things ordered and paid for by certain dates.
When myself and my future husband arrived the night before along with my extended family, the hotel staff were very helpful. They took time out to show my the room that would be used to hold the wedding meal and evening 'disco' event. We were booked into the bridal suite along with a bottle of champagne, box of chocolates and free sherry!!
They took my flowers from me and placed them in the outside shed, the table planner, flavours, menus etc and explained that it all would be taken care of. They ran through how the day would proceed and told me that if at anytime I was unsure of anything then all I had to do was ask.
On the morning of the wedding, I had no input with the way the room was set up which to me was a headache, although I was passed messages from beyond the door that the room was being set up lovely, I had to believe this and know that I would have to wait until I returned after being married.
On our return from the ceremony at approx 3.30pm, the hotel staff again were excellent, obviously this was not the first time that they had performed a wedding event and were extremely professional and caring at the same time. With each stage of the day, my husband and I were introduced, served first and made to feel sooooooooooo special, like we were the only people that had had their wedding here.
When the meal was finished with, we were informed that the room would be ready for the evening at 7.30pm. They rearranged the tables so as not to appear so formal and then left us to enjoy the evening, the only interuption came from them declaring that the buffet was ready.
I know that all of our guests enjoyed the day and I was delighted with the hotel.
Thank you Gretna Chase for making my wedding day soooo special.
Mr and Mrs Hills

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Googysnax
Norfolk
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Went to a wedding which was wonderful and everything was perfect until you wanted order a drink at this hotel... The bar staff unfortunately had left their personalities at home, and instead brought along their 'how to rub people up the wrong way' attitude. Asking for a drink from them was an ordeal and they made no bones about how annoyed they were with you if YOU didnt act like the perfect customer. Oddly enough it wasn't just one of them....it was bloody ALL of them!! which makes it so amazing.... you would think a place with such beautiful settings and a well known history up and down the country, not to mention a wedding venue, which really should be a happy event? would adopt a more welcomming approach. All they managed to do was induce thoughts of where you would like to insert your glass once you had finished your drink?
At the end of the night the DJ played the last song, put the lights on and there stood a member of the bar staff, with a face on, presenting the groom with his coat and cards and may have well have said 'bog off now and shut the door on the way out'?? If the groom wasn't so shocked he would'nt have done anything other than laugh!!! He did announce though 'ever get the feeling you out stayed your welcome'????
These days and during a recession you would think customer service and a smile would be paramount in order to keep business flowing, unfortunately not here.
If i was the boss they would get their p45's.

• Stayed October 2009
4 Thank BoabNorfolk
south wales
Reviewed October 19, 2009

just came back from a wedding at the chase,the hotel was clean and airy,it really looked the part inside and out.the rooms were really nice.the receptionist and waitresses were wonderful,the only downside to this hotel was the man and woman serving behind the bar,rude ,abrupt,unfriendly,impatient,you name it .they should have been thankfull that we were spending large amounts of money there but we just felt we were were unwelcome and not wantedthey really ought to get their act together.

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank stella89
Merseyside
Reviewed September 30, 2009

We stayed at Gretna Chase for my daughter's wedding in September 2009 and were delighted with the hotel. It wasn't their first choice but I am so glad that that one was fully booked ! The rooms in this hotel are very big, clean and you are provided with all you could need. The wedding reception was held here and the whole party commented on the quality of the food. We ate in the bar one night and again the food was of a high standard. It seems to be a family run hotel & the staff multi task -they are very pleasant with the odd exception, but by the time we left even they had started to lighten up and in no way spoiled our stay., I would love to return there one day but they need to cook the breakfast sausages more -they are anaemic !

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank utd7
england
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I WOULD NEVER STAY HERE IN A MILLION YEARS AGAIN The hotel was average at best but it was the sheer bad management and total lack of respect shown to myself and clients which blew me away I honestly thought I was on a windup show!!! The rudeness shown was almost playground. The manager and his wife were beyond rude to everyone and I'll be very suprised if the place isn't closed by the end of the year. I would hate it if the spoiled anyones Big day with their god awful attitude.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
8 Thank jazz099
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#4 of 5 in Gretna

Been to The Gretna Chase Hotel? Share your experiences!