1,004 results
All reviewsailsa suitegarden roomwedding receptionbridal suitelovely hotelanvil hallfour posterevery member of stafffirst classdb bjacuzzi bathfull scottish breakfastlounge barwedding mealbride and groombed and breakfastwedding guests
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Just back from the Gables Hotel in Gretna, this hotel is ideally situated for the Gretna Outlet Village as it is about a 10minute walk. The staff are very friendly. We stayed on a bed, breakfast and dinner basis and the dinner was first class, beautifully cooked food which was well presented and tasted great and the choice was really good. Breakfast was also good with lots of choice. I would definitely recommend this hotel for the food alone.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Gables1, Manager at The Gables Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear Reviewer,
What a great review , Many thanks from all us at The Gables Hotel

Reviewed April 16, 2014

we booked a twin bed room and were given one on the ground floor,when entering we found it to be a disabled room,we were only staying one night so decided to keep it despite the damp smell.
when we went to bed we found the sheets were like rubber and neither of us slept.
we found the girl on reception very pleasant and welcoming but did not tell us about the disabled room.
the restaurant was nice with excellent starters and sweets,however the main course meat was of very poor quality.
we are regular vistors to the area but would not return.

Room Tip: do not book ground floor rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear reviewer,
Sorry to read your review , Its a shame that you did not mention any of the above until your departure , As we would of tried to accommodate you and offer an alternative room if available., As we wish to make everyones stay enjoyable. It is difficult to rectify if it is not mentioned at the time.

Kind Regards

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Received a warm welcome when we stayed here for a stop-over on our way north. Five of us including a 10yo. Comfortable and warm rooms, good dinner menu with plenty choiceand a kids menu too.No downside at all so am happy to suggest it for a short stay. Oh, most important, very reasonable price!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Hi
Many thanks for your review , and you enjoyed your short stay with us .

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I've been to every hotel in Gretna for food and I thought I'd try the Gables for food, for my birthday. When we were seated we were given a menu and we were asked if we would like any drinks (which was great) when we received our drinks (Only three of us were drinking alcohol as the others were not old enough) While we waited for the last of our guests to come we ordered more drinks. Suddenly a woman who must have been the manager, came over and asked for our ID, I had mine but unfortunately my two other friends didn't have theirs. We already had one drink and to be fair, I'm twenty but I look young for my age my two friends look around thirty but still this woman wouldn't serve us any more drinks, which was annoying. So with glasses of coke we read our menus. First, the very first time I went to the Gables with my mum, I noticed the menu had so much choice on it and it all sounded gorgeous! Now, you receive a menu with Nachos and simple things that anyone could make at home! Also, I was confused by the desserts menu, on the adult menu there is Jaffacake pudding ect. and on the kids menu there is all the things you would expect to find on an adult menu e.g Sticky toffee pudding and chocolate brownie. We were also stuck in a room with a bar but there was never anyone at the bar for us to order more drinks. An all around disappointing experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank OrangeCordial
Gables1, Manager at The Gables Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Further to your recent comments left on Trip advisor regarding your recent visit to our hotel for drinks and food . I am sorry you felt being asked for ID for alcohol spoilt you and your friends birthday celebrations, however I feel I must point out that the 3 girls who approached the bar all looked young, and as per the law regarding the sale of alcohol , it is mandatory that if staff have any doubt as to someones age, they must check their ID.As you said yourself , even though you are 20 you do look young for your age and unfortunately if staff are in doubt that someone is under age , if they do not carry proof of their age , we are not obliged to serve them.
I know from younger colleagues , that it is common practice for them to have to carry ID with them when they go out, as the majority of bars, restaurants and even shops , all ask for ID before selling alcohol .
It is unfortunate that on the night out of the 3 girls who approached the bar when I was there , only one of them had proof of ID .

With regards to the menu , we are currently in the process of reviewing this , in order to provide our customers with more choice.

Regards
Jan

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We spent 2 nights here and had a great stay. The staff are so friendly & helpful you really feel valued as a customer. The room was spotless, a little smaller than we are used to, but it had everything you needed. The food is excellent we ate twice in the bar & once in the restaurant. Great choice for lunch and dinner everything was cooked to perfection and really nicely presented.Portions are rather large so my husband was thrilled. Well worth visiting. They so deserve the good reviews they have.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carmigcar
Gables1, Manager at The Gables Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Hi
Thank you for a great review and comments , we hope to see you again in the future.

Regards