“wedding”
Review of The Gables Hotel

The Gables Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Gretna
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Cannot recommend this hotel enough, my daughter sprung it on us that she was getting married in 11 days time in Gretna, so it was a mad rush to get everything organised, the wedding planner at the Gables was excellent sorted it all out for us. We had to book a few rooms and everyone was first class, especially the Ailsa suite for the bride and groom. The standard of cleanliness was great, even the housekeepers were friendly and very accommodating, as were all the staff ( very friendly) with a smile on their faces at all times. The food was good and the room they had decorated for the wedding breakfast was lovely.
We will definitely be back as it was a great place to stay, easy to find, and the surrounding area was lovely.

2  Thank jeaniew13

Reviewed June 18, 2011

My better half and I recently got married in Gretna Green and had our reception at The Gables. Although it's not the cheapest hotel in the area it is, by far, the best in town.

We last stayed in the hotel in July 2010 and since then the new owners have spent some money on re-decorating. The bar area and adjoining restaurant has been updated and now looks very modern.

The rooms are clean and well maintained, we stayed (obviously) in one of the honeymoon rooms (they have 4 or 5 I think) although last year we stayed in a regular double room and that was also of a high standard.

The food here is awesome, the wedding breakfast and our meal the night before was delicious and an excellent price.

The staff at The Gables really know their onions and our whole wedding day ran smoothly. The wedding planner, although probably overworked, does a sterling job.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough if you are staying / getting married in Gretna.

The Gables wants to be the number 1 hotel in Gretna - and it is.

Room Tip: The hotel has more than one honeymoon suite
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2011

As my job involves 3-4 nights a week staying in various types of hotels in locations across the country it is always a fantastic event when I find a location that truly stands out.

I stayed one night at the Gables in Gretna and would recommend it to anyone staying for leisure or business.

Firstly, it's incredibly easy to find and the proximity to the main route is reassuring when you know you have an early start the following day.

Secondly, turning into the driveway to find plenty of parking space within easy reach of the main doors and then to be welcomed by friendly and relaxed staff is always a pleasure. They kept the checking in process as simple and quick as possible and directed us straight to a very comfortable room.

We had a light meal in the bar lounge which offered very high quality food at a really reasonable price and all the staff were friendly and helpful.

I do feel that to be able to deliver a high level of service in a relaxed atmosphere is a real key to great customer service and this was done at every step during our stay.

Thanks to all the staff for making our brief visit pleasurable, we look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Me & my partner attended a friends wedding here and we were delighted with every aspect of the service at this hotel from the welcome at reception, to the service in the bar and our wedding meal. We were treated like royalty and we would return in a heart beat. The rooms were comfortable and cozy and I could not recommended this hotel enough.

1  Thank tsaz
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Stayed here for a friends wedding. The bedroom which had a four poster bed, jacuzzi bath and separate shower was spotless, decorated to a high standard and full of little extras.
The food at the wedding meal was excellent and the breakfast was freshly cooked and more than ample.
All the staff were friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
Overall, great location, great facilities,great food and first class service. I would recommend it to anyone staying in this area and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want a special room just ask.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank aries001
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Let me start by saying this was our return visit to the Gables… My wife and I married in Gretna Green four years ago and had our wedding reception at the Gables, staying in the ‘Ailsa Suite’.

This time around we were in Scotland on a break in the Highlands and I thought, on our trip back south we would stay over for one evening in the same room we had when we married. I called and asked to book the room, but not recalling the name I asked for the Bridal suite… Apparently that’s a different room which wasn’t explained to me at the time.

On booking the room I said to the receptionist, that we had married their and wanted the same room we had stayed in before. To say the lady couldn’t care less would be an understatement. Her less than enthusiastic response or comment may be the reason why she didn’t question why I was asking to stay in a different room entirely to where we had stayed on the night of our wedding.

On arrival we were given our key and room number… walking back to the room it became instantly apparent the mistake I had made. My ‘beef’ here is that the receptionist who had taken my booking really couldn’t care less about the ‘mistake’ and simply kept saying “But look, it’s on your booking form – you asked for the Bridal suite.” My response SHOULD have been, “And if you were listening to what I said, I said I want to stay in the same room we had booked when we married. The bridal suite room.. How was I to know you had a ‘Honeymoon suite’ and a ‘Bridal suite’?!” But, exasperated, I simply took the key and went to the room…

The ‘Bridal suite’ is simply a larger than average room with a four poster bed, a Jacuzzi bath and a bottle of champagne. So that was ‘ok’… But if you read what I’m saying here, it can be summed up simply as ; Nice place, ok rooms, poor service with little care and attention to the people they have coming through their doors.

The food in the morning was ‘ok’, but nothing special. The evening meal was fine and the only shining light in the place in terms of staff was the barman who was polite and attentive.

Overall a major disappointment. We stayed here for one night and it cost £145 but earlier that week we stayed in a B&B in Morar for three nights which cost us £180. The cost is not the main issue, it is purely one of service and VALUE. I would have paid five times the amount for the Morar B&B because the quality of their service was second to none.

The Gables staff have much to learn when it comes to booking guests in and paying attention when talking to them. If they don’t like their jobs, they should find another. Suffice to say, we will not be returning.

Room Tip: Want the HONEYMOON suite? Ask for Ailsa
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GaryHibberd
editor72, Owner at The Gables Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

From the owners and staff.
We are please you enjoyed the complimentary Champagne, our lounge bar and that our new chef’s provided you with fine food. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations regarding your room.

Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed on the 1st June for a wedding,great food,great service, lovely rooms,could not fault it,however the one tiny point was the heating in the hallways,can they not be turned down? Overall one of th ebest hotels we have stayed at and if we go back we will surely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
Greens at Gretna
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Solway Lodge Hotel
Solway Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna

Been to The Gables Hotel? Share your experiences!