“Fab pub, great location and a decent pint”
Review of The Gretna Inn

The Gretna Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gretna
The Gretna Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Gretna B&B and Inns
Blyth, United Kingdom
“Fab pub, great location and a decent pint”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We have visited this pub now on four or five occasions. First time a couple of years ago when looking for wedding locations when it was then called the Crossways I think. We then visited again the night before our wedding, where our entire wedding party of friends and family seemed to take it over and we all had a great time and met some very friendly people. There is always a nice mix of other wedding parties and locals and the prices of drinks are very reasonable compared to hotel bar prices and my husband always comments on the nice pint he gets. We have since been back twice and after seeing the reviews on tripadvisor I decided I had to give my positive review. It is a traditional bar area, very clean and comfortable and the bar meals are excellent value for money. We took our children who were welcome in the bar and it was safe for them to play outside. The new manager Ian is very friendly and has lots of local knowledge and will help you with anything you want to know. I have worked in the pub trade myself over the years and worked in some very unwelcoming/unsafe bars and I have to say this bar is really friendly and comfortable. It is very handy for everything in Gretna, the shopping outlet is literally across the road, petrol station, not far up the road takes you into the centre for the registery office and other wedding venues and shops. Perfect location if you are getting married. We have a lot of fond memories and it was massively down to the friendliness of the people in the Gretna Inn, the Solway hotel and the local community that made our decision to get married in Gretna an easy one. Please dont let the negative reviews put you off going, its a great place and people have to remember they are in Gretna not a 5star US hotel! We travel to Gretna as often as we can and look forward to seeing you all again soon - best of luck to Ian and the staff with your new venture!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MissusThomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
LIVERPOOL
Reviewed February 20, 2012

On arrival we went to our room and about turned due to the room having no head board/ mirror/dressing table or wardrobe ect.

We then checked into the second room which did have a mirror but that was about it, the sink had lots of cracks and was not that clean.

The worse was yet to come, later on in the evening we returned to the pub for a nightcap and unaware to us asked for a song to be played by the dj
(not knowing that tina turner simply the best was a no go something about religion of football we have later found out)

The next thing the djs system was unplugged by a local person and lots of abusive remarks were thrown our way followed by physical abuse.

we called the police and gave indepth statements to which we were told that the pub was renowned for trouble and if asked for the cctv footage there would not be any.

we were also told that 5 minutes before this happened the police had been in to do a routine walk round and were told that trouble was going to happen.

The next morning we confronted Ian the manager who gave differant stories to our bride to be saying that we had caused trouble in the hotel the night before (most definatley was not our party),to then say it was a differant person to then follow up by saying we were viscious,(AS HE WAS SCREAMING IN OUR FACES).

Thank goodness that our bride to be knows that he was back tracking and lying to save his own skin by trying to make out we were at fault.

What a joke

Room Tip: do not book this pub / inn
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank SAN M
williemacleish, Manager at The Gretna Inn, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
in respose to this review .the couple who wrote this had been attending a wedding elsewhere and were staying at the inn. they returned for a nightcap to take to bed with them knowing that there was an ongoing private birthday party in progress. Instead of popping to the bar for this they decided to head straight for the dj and requested a song to be played for themselves. which what a surprise just happened to be the song in question. This was not the problem the problem was the gate crashing uninvited into a local gusts only birthday party and i was not surprised that people wrer not too amused at total strangers having a knees up on the dance area. Yes they called the police which to me was quite strange as they themselves were responsible for the problem and this was after i had arrived at the inn to check how the party was going after giving me an extremely hard time whilst i was trying to explain that they should really have gone to bed . the police had been round for a routine check as they always do when late night functions are happening and this is just standard practice , and it was myself who they spoke to and asked if it had been a good night and everything was fine and of course no mention was made of any trouble about to happen whatsoever. The only problems caused on this night were by the people writing this review probably due to too much alcohol and the nature of them which i did find out the next morning as stated above. I look after thosands of guests and mostly never have any problems. As for screaming in their faces i find this really disturbing that a person can post this on a review as this certainly would not happen! One thing i never do is lie , i dont need to. With me the truth is what you get .Normally i would not put myself to respond to a review like this but this is so damning and untrue i often wonder why this is allowed to happen.

Travelers are raving about these Gretna hotels

Hornsea
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Visited here as it seemed to be the only place to stop and have a bar meal in the area, the pub itself is not far from the main road so would be a good place to visit if you're passing through the area. The menu was a standard pub grub menu and the staff were pleasant enough so we were happy to stay in for food. The decoration of the pub is dated but I found this added to the cosy atmosphere of the place so am not complaining about this, the food came in good time and all seemed to be home made. There were four adults eating and 3 of us were very happy with our food, the one unhappy had ordered a curry which seemed to be a cheaply made dish so maybe avoid this if dining here! The prices were cheap and the food was fine, it is by no means anything like gourmet or a lovely place to visit but it's perfect for a quick bar meal if you don't fancy a service station takeaway. Would visit again if in the area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LukeyDee
Bicester
Reviewed November 30, 2011

This hotel has recently been taken over and has vastly improved since a prior visit in the spring.
Myself and my family took over the hotel and used it as a base for my wedding on 11th Nov this year and found the hotel to be excellent value for money. It was clean and cheerful, all the staff were very friendly, and the food well prerared and presented. The guest rooms were also very clean and comfortable.

I will certainly be returning to this hotel and using it for a base for a future holiday.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We stopped here for a quick bite to eat on our way to York. It was a cold day so we decided to try and get a hot meal. There was a good size menu of pub fare. There wasn't really any order to getting a table. When one became available we snapped it up. A waitress came over and gave a cursory wipe to the table leaving half the crumbs from the previous customers. She took our order and brought us our drinks. Time passed. We realised it had been an hour since our order had been taken and we chased this up. We were told it would be there within 5 minutes. In total we waited 1 and half hours for some burgers (not what I'd call fast food!) The order was wrong - my burger was plain not BBQ as ordered, the peas were missing from the fish finger children's meal. We didn't send it back as we just wanted to get on the road. Our drinks were flat by this stage. When it came to paying the bill I was charged £25.85. I pointed out that my burger was plain and I got £1 taken off. I complained about the slow service and the poor food and the girl just restated the price and held out her hand for the money. We had originally planned some time at the outlet stores but had to give this a miss due to the time we had waited at The Gretna Inn. As a Scot I am embarrassed that this may be some people's first impression of Scotland. On our return journey we made sure we stopped at Penrith. I would advise people to give this a miss -the food is certainly not worth the wait.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Fiony_Bear
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stopped off on the way home from a lovely trip in Scotland, we where told it was under new management so thought we would give the place a second chance but nothing had changed much & we where very disappointed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Helen S
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2011

This pub seems to be under new management, now called the Gretna Inn, my fiance and I stopped in here for a few drinks and a meal, we were pleased with the service we received although one of the girls behind the bar, had a face like a slapped behind, but the rest of them seemed lovely. We sat inside the lounge and i thought it was a lovely atmosphere, we were asked throughout our meal if everything was okay, and it was delicious, i would stop here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jess j
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
Greens at Gretna
Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Gretna Hall
Gretna Hall
#2 of 4 in Gretna Green

Been to The Gretna Inn? Share your experiences!