“A real joy for the Day family!”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We booked a package for the Spa facilities and dinner for our anniversary on the 20th March, what a good choice & great stay! The room number 12 was lovely and well equipped, the Spa had everything you would need and we enjoyed using the facilities for the two days and felt really relaxed afterwards.
The dinner was very high quality and only the dessert was a slight disappointment.
The grounds and leisure area are traditional with a boutique feel, the staff were very friendly & helpful. All in all a 5 star experience and we would go back again.

Room Tip: The upper rooms and corner suites had great views and were really comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Mr and Mrs Day

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful anniversary treat.

Thank you for all of your kind comments.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed here for 2 night package as a family of 4 in a junior suite, a really large spacious room (no. 3) over-looking the garden. Beautiful. Had a large bathroom with Elemis toiletries. Very comfy beds. Dined in restaurant on first night and what a truly wonderful experience. The food was delicious and plentiful, beautifully presented and worth the cost. Breakfast was equally good and cooked to order. Staff all very polite and friendly. The spa was an added bonus with hydrotherapy pool, steam room and sauna to relax in whilst being able to supervise our children in the heated outdoor pool through the window. instant wifi, no having to register your email address. Whole ambience of the hotel relaxed, a perfect getaway, perfect location, perfect hotel! Really enjoyed spending my birthday here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to you had such a good birthday break, and all of your family enjoyed the facilities on offer.

I have passed all of your wonderful comments onto the team, and we all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

My partner and I booked a single evening as a bank holiday break. The house is a stunning venue from the outside, with a very traditional feel. We were booked into the hotel in less than 10 minutes, and soon found ourselves in a room at the top of the stairs - room 8, to be exact.

The first thing I noticed was a spider roughly the size of a golf ball, perched in a cobweb in one of the ceiling corners. After I'd regained my colour, put down the brandished chair and unravelled myself from the shower curtain, my partner disposed of the damned thing.

The room itself was quite cramped. Not uncomfortably so, though the addition of a chez longue to the room drastically reduces the floorspace, and frankly, being positioned roughly 2 feet from the television, renders it practically useless. The decor of the room was very pleasant - with a well appointed bathroom and very very comfortable bed. But in more than one place, the wallpaper looked creased with age, and appeared to be coming away from the wall. It's only a little thing - but when your room costs £195 per night, the little things matter.

We made full use of a very well maintained spa. The outdoor pool is heated to a comfortable 28 degrees, which in the winter air was very refreshing. The indoor aquatherapy pool was great - as were the sauna and steam room, though everything seemed to be chlorinated to within a hair's breadth of rendering the patrons blind. Towels were in abundance, as was complimentary iced water to be drunk from plastic cups.

We dined at the hotel during the evening. A young Polish (I think) Chap was keen to practise his cocktail-mixing skills on us, so we enjoyed one each before dinner. We were offered water and bread - accepting both, though having to remind waitresses twice to bring them. We considered wine for the brief amount of time it took for me to realise that the list here is massively overpriced. Robert Mondavi at £70 per bottle? Good God, no. This annoyed the hell out of me.

"Never return food", my grandfather would say, "... the Chef's don't like it." He was right. So, I didn't. But I should have. I ordered pigeon to start, followed by shoulder of lamb - the other half ordering scallops and something unmemorable. The pigeon was rare, served on a pearl-barley risotto which was rather bland. The lamb was served on a thin slab of slate, with cones of carrots, blobs of purees and tiny potatoes dotted around like a painting by Kandinsky. Why, oh why do restaurants do this? It's not appetising! And frankly, scraping a knife blade or prong of a fork accidentally across slate is not a pleasant sensation. Indeed, it's part of the reason that glazed ceramics such as modern dinner plates were invented. Hey-ho! This course was served cold - not deliberately, I hasten to add. Frankly, it was very disappointing. We chose not to risk a dessert and returned to the cocktail bar, which continued to impress us. The young chap mixed, poured and crushed his way to a tip, that frankly saved our evening from being bloody awful. All in, we spent £145 on a meal for two, though £80 of that was due to some wonderful cocktails.

Breakfast, the next morning was an uninspiring affair, served brusquely by a man who'd obviously been to the Joseph Stalin school for the Maitre d'. Nevertheless, we ate a standard full English breakfast whilst enjoying the beautiful view from the bay windows, enjoyed another hour or two in the spa and left.

All things considered, £340 for a visit to a spa, dinner and a single night in a bed is quite expensive. But I wouldn't mind paying it, if the place was perfect, if the room was wonderful, if the food was to die for. None of this was the case, sadly. The only thing I'd recommend, if you visit this place, is to try that young man's cocktails. You can't miss him. Tall, dark haired, heavy dark framed glasses, and great cocktails. And hopefully, with enough of them, you'll forget all about the rest of the stay.

6  Thank Mark01824093

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

Firstly, Im pleased that you enjoyed all of the spa facilities, they are simply wonderful, especially on a gorgeous sunny day.

However, I was disappointed to read there were aspects of your stay that did not live up to your expectations. We are constantly striving to improve our facilities and take all comments on board. I have raised some of the issues with my Management Team to ensure we do not repeat these minor mistakes.

Thank you for your kind comments about our bar staff – all of our team work exceptionally hard and are there purely to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here over the Easter weekend and had a fantastic stay. Very relaxing and we were treated well by all the staff. We have no complaints. I thought the breakfast was especially good, a nice variety and our room (classic room, no 1) was decent size, with good facilities and clean bathroom. I do wonder if they loose out by not having an indoor pool in their spa though, just an outdoor one. It was being used, but I was reclutant and would have liked to swim.
My only negative comment would be the price, I thought the ‘room / spa / breakfast and dinner’ package was a little steep in comparison to others in the area, especially as many are now discounted on sites like Groupon or LivingSocial. But really, I'm nitpicking.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your Easter break with us.

I am pleased to read that you had such a peaceful and relaxing stay and enjoyed all of the facilities. I have passed your kind comments onto Chef.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We booked this for one night as a getaway for 24 hours. The package upgraded us to a suite, the spa was quiet and very good, it is a very special place. It is not stuffy at all like some high end hotels can be, mainly the staff who were excellent. A special thanks to the waitresses and the receptionist on checkout who was a lovely lady.

It's not cheap but the food is excellent, it is so clean and is quite cosy -as long as you don go mental on the wine you won't spend much more over the set price of their deals. For the extra money this place takes away any doubt that you have when only spending one night away - don't risk it for a biscuit, book this place you won't regret it.

Room Tip: All are fine it's a really quiet hotel. You don't need a suite
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Homewood Park.

I am delighted to read such wonderful comments, and I have passed this onto the Team here.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed here in March in the deluxe double room, very spacious room, super comfy bed, however no mini bar, or no biscuits, cookies etc with the tea and coffee which would have been a nice touch. Spa facilities are very good, if not a little 'cosy' and the breakfast the next day was great, good choice of cereals, juices etc and the cooked breakfast would be hard to beat!

2  Thank Dean R

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased to read that you had such a great time with us.

The Team and I all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We spent a lovely relaxing weekend here,using the spa,swimming pool,treatments and just resting,it really is a lovely hotel.The staff are excellent and look after you very well without being to fawning or constantly asking if they can get you anything they seem to have the balance just right.We eat at Tides restaurant on the Saturday night and it was a very memorable meal for all the right reasons very good food,service and wine. We can't wait to return.

1  Thank Duncan L

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you had such an amazing time, and I have passed all of your comments onto the Team.

We all hope to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinton Charterhouse
Bailbrook House Hotel
Combe Grove Hotel
Combe Grove Hotel
#22 of 34 in Bath

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!