“Very enjoyable stay”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
England, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable stay”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Had a very enjoyable stay at Homewood Park, and was lucky enough to stay in one of the garden rooms which I would thoroughly recommend. Fabulous location, very close to Bath, but out in the countryside.

The food and service was great - I would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I booked this hotel as a venue for a dinner with an important client plus an opportunity for our respective partners to enjoy at spa and to have a relaxing overnights stay. The rooms I booked were the most expensive the hotel offered and when I checked in I found the room and the venue to be unsatisfactory.

The room was dark, and the furniture chipped. The windows at the back of the room (bathroom windows) overlooked a garage area and furthermore the room was not clean. The room I had booked for my client had a ride on lawn mower parked outside and the gate leading back to the hotel from the room was broken and there were bins holding garden waste in full sight of the room.

We had tea outside whilst waiting for the room to be thoroughly cleaned. Both vacant tables were dirty with plates and cups and when the order was taken the dirty plates were not removed. Eventually a waiter appeared and cleared the vacant table and only when our tea came was our table cleared.

Following this we checked out of the hotel. I feel the website showed the hotel in an extremely polished light but this hotel did not offer me the standard and service that I had expected when being asked to pay almost £400.00 per night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank Patrick H
Camborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We came for our honeymoon and it is no doubt a beautiful place.we were gratefully upgraded to a better room and given complimentary champagne which was lovely.
There were a few points that were a little disappointing , the tv did not work ,we had followed instructions although never complained.there was quite a lot of dust and also woodlice in our room which was a little disconcerting although the bed was clean and overall very comfy.in the room we were upgraded to we did not sleep on the first night due to some noisy upstairs guests running a bath at 2 am and general conversation could be heard.
I would say we have tasted some wonderful local produce coming from Cornwall but the bacon and sausages in the morning were extremely salty although I would imagine were of a high quality,just not to our liking.
Also as a non fan of trout and other exotic meats the evening menu was limited and we ended up dining from a lite bites menu in which the chips were extremely fat laden. The food I'm sure some people would love but after the initial night we ate out for this reason.
I would recommend this hotel as the spa wa beatuiful but on a short stay basis as the hotel did lack an atmosphere and although seated in an extremely lovely area there was no ambience followed into the hotel itself....it was slightly clinical.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Not staffs fault they are too young and not trained properly but very friendly. Manager is very nice guy would do anything to help and go out of his way. The spa area with pool/jacuzzi/steam room is lovely very peaceful. Reason for 3 stars was no gym on site.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Hungrybear20
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

If you take your car be prepared to walk a fair distance in the dark from the car park. Don't book room No 9 it's an accident waiting to happen I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and fell down some dangerous steps which lead up to a platform where the double bed is located. Nobody was around to check if I was ok so I left a note at the unoccupied reception. The hotel was stuffy 'no air con' and no coffee/tea making facilities in the room. The staff were ok, but the place lacked any atmosphere and reminded me of an old peoples home. As for dinning, I checked the resturaunt it was the breakfast room, again it just lacked any soul so I cancelled the meal as we did not fancy eating in a stuffy old dinning room. We drove a few miles down the road to the Old Mill a lovely old pub resturaunt which serves a fantastic meal in a lovely place with a great atmosphere and nice friendly staff. The meal was a fraction of the cost £50.00 with wine for two, which would have been £ 60.00 per person or £85.00 per person with wine pairings had we dined at Homewood Park . The staff need to learn how to treat people in a friendly manner and the place just don't make the grade. It was overpriced overated,dangerous and disapointing to say the least. I would not reccommend this hotel to anybody, even if I didn't like them. Snobby rubbish pretence is the only way to describe it!!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank robo21
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. With regard to some of the points made I feel you are owed an explanation. Room 9 has a feature split level which many guests like as it makes the room interesting and adds character, however if you aren't familiar with the drop in level I can understand it may have surprised you in the middle of the night. I am very sorry to hear you fell down then. We have a receptionist on the desk 24 hours a day, the only time it could be unmanned is if they are assisting another guest and would return very quickly.

Regarding your comments about the hotel atmosphere many of our guests like the calm county house feel, however in the new year we are modernising some of the public areas which may be more to your taste and will add to the atmosphere.
The Old Mill is a lovely pub and if that is the kind of dining experience you are looking for we always recommend them, if you are looking for 2 rosette dinner then we are the place to dine and you are correct, it will cost more money. We do not intend to compete with pubs on price but we do have a light bite menu which may have suited you better.

The lighting in the car park works on picking up movement, we will now leave it on every evening to avoid a repeat of it not coming on.

I thank you for your comments and if you would like to visit the hotel again I shall personally ensure you have a lovely stay.

Josh Watts

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This hotel draws you in with the setting the facilities and the so called "award winning restuarant"
Do not be fooled by this!
I arrived early as expected - (telephoned the night before to see if room was available)
This was a special occassion for my wife and myself and we took our daughter with us.
We were greeted on arrival by quite simply the most un-welcoming receptionist I have had the pleasure to meet (this after consultation on your site upon returning - already highlighted)
We were shown to our room.
The room was really dusty and not clean at all. The bathroom in particular was quite frankly filthy, the tolet seat and bath had stains and the windows were hard to see out of.
We reported this and was told this would be rectified upon our return. My wife could not wait for that and had to clean it her self before we would use it.
We went out for the day to return to it in it's same state, this we could not beleive, from a four star country retreat in excess of four hundered pounds for tow evenings.
We once again contacted the GM this time to be told it would be addressed and that he was so sorry this had happended and he would buy us a menial drink that evening to apologise.
We then went for our dinner in the restaurant, this as part of out package.
It's highlighted as a restaurant that evertone would visit and the one saving grace is the manager of that, as he is a nice chap and does his best, with the frame work he is given, cheap youny employable staff, who have not been given the training to do the job, not there fault but the policy of the hotel.
My wife did nto like any of the mains on the al-a-carte menu so decided to order a steak as advised to by the waitress. This was a piece of meat that was 60% fat and impossible to enjoy or consume. My meal was satisfactory. My daughter ate from the childrens meal and her first two courses were ok and then she ordered the apple pie, a simple request you may have thought. This was not the case and she was told she would have to wait 35 minutes for it and was advsied and told she could eat of the al-a-carte menu instead, at the same cost of 15£.
We returned to our room after this and yes you have guessed it the room still was not cleaned. It was also set up for three people and I can not tell you how many times we requested another cup, a towel and a bath robe, this would be a simple request with a Marriott or another chain of hotels, as this is a set alone contry four star retreat you would have thought this would have been a given.
We had breakfast for the first of the two days in the morning.
We ordered our cooked breakfast which was fine, although a little greasy. The pastries were set our and once someone had taken them were not re-stocked, my daughter resquested a chocolate croissant which someone else had was told there were no more available. The toast was requested several times and was cold upon finally the arrival of it.
Back to the room and left for the morning to be told to leave our key as they wanted to put the room right and make our experience of a higher level, this communicated to me by the GM of the hotel
Retruned after lunch, to find room had not been touched and that the houskeeping would adrres this for us, went to the spa and returned still nothing. Finally left for an evening at the local races and told it would be cleaned while we were out.
Upon return there was a couple using this for their wedding (omg poop people) and the room had been cleaned to a degree, still dusty, no replacement of shampoos etc and the bath was still dirty
We ordered tow ice creams and a coffee whic took an hour and fifteen minutes to get to us and we were by now ready for our beds.
In the morning breakfast service was worse, with the same issues with any request and the eggs over cooked and the bacon greasy.
I complained to the wedding planner, who was the senior person on the site and she told me to document it, this I did, but as I had informed the GM before, I hold out no hope.
We left that morning and asked for a copy of our bill
You will recall my duaghter had a childrens meal at a cost of 15£ - they tried to charge me 35£ for this, which I disputed of course and this was then removed. Whilst I was waiting two other check outs, were disputing charges on their room which were incorrect as they did not have the wine and or drinks. One woman and her daughter was close to tears, whith no real apology from the same un-friendly receptionist, just a snotty reply saying that this os now correct - even though the persomes bill still was clearly not.
A nightmare of an experience to a hotel that has the setting of a four star - the facilities of a four star
The rest of it would struggle to get a ranking of a two star.
The spa was dirty on the second night - no one was ever there to look after it and or welcome you.
I would not look at this hotel for at least a considerable time - do not do what I did and pay 500£ for an experience that was too poor to put any one through.
They simply must rely on new guests - no one would return!
The wedding function took over the whole hotel for the evening in service for the last day and other guests were simply left to their own devices.
No one took any ownership and they lloked down there noses at you when your raised simple issues and or needed your room simply cleaned
One last thing the sattelite TV did not work and this was pointed out all weekend
Please pay attention to this review - I have no axe to grind - These are the facts and I want to make sure you do not waste your time and money!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank Alan L
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Alan

It is very disappointing to read that your recent stay was not up to the level you expected from Homewood Park. I am confident that this is not a true representation of the level of service provided by the hotel and would welcome the opportunity to go through your stay with you in greater detail as I would not like this to be your lasting memory of the hotel.

Kind Regards

Josh Watts
Highbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

A very quick review this time. Had a cream tea here with a Travelzoo deal and found it a lovely treat. Its on the A36 at Hinton Charterhouse, not in the village itself and a pretty sharp turn off the main road from Bath. From our couple of hours here, I can tell you we loved the feel of the place, the grounds, welcome and general ambience. We were warmly greeted, shown to our table in the drawing room bay overlooking the gardens and provided with a very nice cream tea with all the trimmings. I was even asked to choose my tea from the tea menu. Plenty of period features, lovely grounds and views. Just a lovely old fashioned creaky floored sort of place. I cant comment on anything else but was very happy with our afternoon out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
The Bath Priory
The Bath Priory
#12 of 31 in Bath
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!