“So! Just what is a "suite"??”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This lovely country hotel has a great many excellent features................and they deserve to be listed here...
Efficient and intelligent reception people;very friendly and attentive staff (nothing was too much trouble!) ...beautiful public rooms and gardens ;food to die for served expertly and discretely and an award winning spa which we didn't use,but which looked tremendous.......and they even welcome dogs which is very important for us!.
I wasn't surprised when the receptionist told us that the hotel was consistently near full week in-week out
All this comes at a price,of course but I was actually quite happy to cough up top whack for one of their best rooms..described as a "Garden Double Bedded Suite" (the hotel's words in their confirmation ) for a night of hedonistic luxury prior to a taxing hospital stay.

So, with heightening anticipation ,we checked in,and followed the receptionist to our Garden "Suite".
And there it was, just a beautifully decorated "Bedroom".
There was a huge practically empty hallway (and a huge practically empty bathroom when I think about it!)...but no sofa or chairs to sprawl on....no table and chairs to eat at or work on..and no way of watching the tele without perching on the bed. ...come on,Travelodge rooms do better than this.!!
There were two armless and extremely uncomfortable bedroom chairs and a pouffe (hope I've spelt that right!!) which sort of acted as a wobbly little side table type thing.
We slept well and I was showered to death in their super-duper aircraft hanger of a bathroom next morning before visiting Reception.
The young lady recovered quickly enough when I posed my simple question..."How do I eat a full English Breakfast in your Garden Suite?" replying with a crafty " There is an external dining area,sir"
..Aha!!!..nice thinking on your feet,young lady!!.Well done .............0-15
"What happens when its 30 below or hissing down with rain then,luv" as my response didn't elicit a recordable answer...........................................................................15-all
My second question was the ace.."How do you watch the tele without sitting on the bed,then"
This left the poor lass floundering on the baseline.....................game set and match!!
Now,if you Google "define a hotel suite" , all the websites I visited talk about "multiple rooms" or "bedrooms with attached living areas"...or at the very least "a room with easy chairs or a sofa".
I didn't see any mention of wobbly pouffes.
But forget Google and think of your own experiences.
I've been lucky enough to travel the UK and the world staying in nice accomodation over the years...every "suite" I've lived in had a table and chairs and some form of comfortable lounge seating... a"living area" in fact..even some of the "chain hotels" with their daft "Junior Executive Suites" get it nearly right.

So get your act together,Homewood Park ,you're much ,much too good for all this pompous nonsense. Make sure your definitions are accurate and match your brochure descriptions and importantly ,please ensure that you are not confusing potential visitors.

Be clear, I would definitely not have stayed in the "Garden Room" for the price you offered..but was attracted by the "Suite" connotation .....and my expection of that offer was a lot higher than the reality of the product I got.

Room Tip: Ask some penetrating questions about what you get for your money
3  Thank caterad

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Having read some of the more positive reviews I am starting to wonder if they stayed at a different hotel!
Friendly service, a warm welcome, an introduction to what the hotel has to offer, certainly not at Homewood Park!

Upon arrival the receptionist was more concerned with ticking things off her little check sheet and enquiring whether we would like an early morning call, than actually welcoming us. She walked us down to the garden suite we had booked without saying a word, unlocked it and simply handed us the key, no introduction to any hotel facilities, or information on the restaurant times, or spa. The only piece of information we were given, which was following my question about children being allowed to use both indoor and outdoor pools was actually incorrect.

We specifically booked this hotel because of its supposed family friendly attitude, wrong! children are not allowed in the indoor spa pool and access to the outdoor pool is restricted to certain hours! When I asked for a locker (which you can't just take, they have the most bizarre system whereby you have to phone reception to ask for a code) I was told there were none available as they had all been taken by day spa guests, and as a hotel resident I should just leave my clothes and valuables in my hotel room, where there is no safe! great idea given that the hotel has very large notices saying they are not liable for any loss or theft greater than £50!

We had booked the garden suite as it had a sofa bed so our 4 year old daughter could sleep there, not that there was any linen for it, or anyone offered to make it up for us. I called twice before anyone came to make it.

Room service is a bit of a joke, hope you're not thirsty!

To top it all when we went to check out I was informed my bill included all the lunches and dinners we had consumed whilst in the hotel (we had none) when I asked to see the receipts for these, I was told "here is your signature" strange really that it was a different name to my husband and I, I had to repeatedly reassure the receptionist that we had not eaten anything in the hotel other than the rather poorly catered breakfast, before she would accept that it wasn't our bill!

When I was finally asked upon checkout had we enjoyed our stay and I replied absolutely not, the hotel seems totally soulless and with a complete lack of management, I was told "yes we have just got a new manager but he's not here yet" explains a lot.

Would we go back,..... definitely not, and I advise anyone else looking for a family friendly hotel to avoid this one.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
5  Thank Underwoodfamily3
Reviewed August 22, 2012

great hotel - stayed here with three kids baby and two under 7 - got a lovely room near the pool with a little garden out front. from arrival we had a genuine friendly welcome at the receptioons as we arrived late with three sleeping kids and all were transferred sleeping to their beds while luggage and car was taken care for us.

Food was excellent both at dinner and breakfast. pool was a little cool buit nice on a hot day. the grounds are really nice and it is no distance into bath.

ordered coffee and bisuits to the room, the cookies were freshly baked and still warm and the kids are still raving about them!

great hotel - will definitely return

Room Tip: family rooms out the back are large and detached so don't need to worry about disturbing other g...
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Very nice staff to greet you, had spar treatments and they were very good, staff very nice there too. Had a slight problem with the phone in the room not working but it was noted. And the shower was too hot to use ( forgot to mention it to reception)
Grounds are lovely.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Superb, friendly service, lovely food and an excellent base for touring around Bath. The hotel is quiet, with beautiful grounds and is packed with 18th century character and charm. The staff are excellent: attentive and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay. I'm pleased you had such an enjoyable time and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards

Josh Watts

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have just returned from a stay at Homewood Park, and as Tripadvisor played such a huge part in my choosing this hotel, I thought it only right that I let you know my comments. I stayed here for one night with my daughter, but happened upon the best couple of days of the summer! It was bliss. We lounged by the pool, occasionally dipping into the thermal pool and using the steam room and sauna.

It was also exceptionally good value. I just booked B&B, rather than a package, and I have to say that I am blown away by what we received. To begin with, we were given an upgraded room which was wonderful. Absolutely beautiful, with double aspect, one side to the valley and hills, and the other to the exquisite gardens. They were also happy for us to stay until the late afternoon on the day that we left, allowing us to enjoy the spa and gardens further. I had expected a gym - but it was actually actually great that there wasn't one and to have an excuse not to partake!

We didn't have dinner in the hotel as there was nothing that we particularly wanted to eat on the menu, but breakfast was extremely good, and they catered admirably for my coeliac needs. Drinks, tea, etc are expensive, but what you would expect in such a setting?

My only reservation is the lack of sunbeds. There are only four. I think it would be a good idea for them to invest in more, especially if they wish to take more day-spa guests.

We had a wonderful time, and will return. Absolutely no doubt whatsoever.

Room Tip: We loved our room, which was beautiful. We saw the suites, which looked nice, but were not part of...
2  Thank SeaLubber
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

I pass this hotel every day and thought we would call in for morning coffee. Lovely drive, great setting but oh, such a disappointment when we went in. Lounge was very tired and needed some tlc. No staff available and after a liitie wait decided to go somewhere else. Could be really good but it would take a lot for us to visit again.

• Stayed: August 2012
Bailbrook House Hotel
Combe Grove Hotel
Combe Grove Hotel
#22 of 34 in Bath

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!