“Ok - but not the luxury we expected”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed at the hotel in March as a mini-honeymoon before our main honeymoonin the summer and although we had a good time, we were expecting a little more from what was supposed to be a luxury hotel. Overall, things were inconsistent. The service in the restaurant was impeccable, whereas the service at the reception and spa wasn't quite up to the same standard. And whilst the hotel was decorated in a tasteful way and to a good standard generally, our room felt small and a little 'tired'. The spa was lovely, but smaller than expected and I have to say that there was unfortunately some dirt in the pool. And it was also a little suprising not to have tea/coffee facilities in the room. They were happy to bring a tea/coffee tray up each morning . . . but at a cost of £12 a time! Overall, we had a nice stay but we would not go back. Have to point out that the food in the restaurant was very good.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank clh333
There are newer reviews for Homewood Park Hotel & Spa

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Weekend away with my girlfriend, booked on a deal - 2 nights, 2x glasses champagne, 3 course dinner on night 1, 1x 60 min spa treatment each - which all in worked out at £558 total.

Per the title, it ticked all of these boxes, and everything was "really nice". But I can't really give it more than 3 stars as I'm just not sure the price was warranted?

First up the hotel itself - beautiful building, well furnished, set back from the road, and with well-kept grounds. The croquet lawn out front was a fun addition.

The room - we were actually upgraded to what must have been a deluxe, which was comfy and understated. Likewise the bathroom brought no complaints (though the water temperature was a bit variable) and we had a great view over the grounds. On the negatives, I was a little disappointed there were no coffee making facilities or mini bar / fridge. I'm also not sure why we needed a 7' wide bed, less still when it wasn't 1 bed but 2x 3'6" mattresses pushed together. Needless to say we ended up sharing the crack, (with a good 2 feet either side of us), and this seemed like a bit of a "try hard" feature. A nice 5-footer would have been more romantic - they also might have found some better quality sheets, given the quality of the super-size ones didn't really do justice to the room.

The spa - beautifully done up and very well maintained. There was an atmosphere of calm and the sauna and steam room were especially good, albeit the hydro-pool could have been a few degrees warmer. Moreover the outdoor pool definitely wasn't the advertised 30C. Not sure if this was a plus or minus, but the lounging around area was a little "cosy" - fine for us with just 5 people using the facilities, but maybe less so at a fuller occupancy. In summary it was somewhere you could spend a very pleasant couple of hours, but you'd get bored at any longer. My 60 min massage gets a 6/10 - perfectly adequate but didn't really push any buttons - if it's not part of a package, I wouldn't bother paying £60 for it.

Dinner - the AA rosette winning restaurant purports to be "one of the finest restaurants in Bath" so we had high expectations. I had the lamb and my girlfriend the sea bass, both of which bore all the hallmarks of good quality ingredients and an experienced chef. The presentation was neat and service very satisfactory, and the other two courses get the same accolades. If you're anticipating a "but", I'm afraid there is one coming... was it worth £55 a head for 3 courses (price as per the online menu)? I'm struggling. The food was "very nice", but as someone who entertains clients around London at least weekly, I'd rate this as solid £30 a head stuff. Let's compare against 3 course a la carte offerings at a sample of inner and outer London's michelin staples - Chez Bruce is £29.50, the outstanding Chapter One is £32.50, Petrus is £65 and Maze is about £40. Go figure. Add to this the outrageously ambitious wine list - £80 for a Pouilly Fume / £40 for a Macon Villages - where are we, the Martinez in Cannes?!?!

So it's with some regret that I'm struggling to read the above back without it sounding derisory - Homewood Park is a lovely hotel, with a relaxing spa and a solid restaurant, but they need to look at their pricing structure. By all means go if you're going to get change from £300, but I was rather left thinking I might have been better off saving half my money and going to a Qhotel.

4  Thank nmjg11
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed at this Hotel at the weekend for one night. We were able to get the Garden suite due to an offer where all rooms were the same price. Although we were only there for a short time we thought the hotel was very nice and the staff very attentive. The food in the restaurant was lovely although portions were quite small so make sure you don't go in starving.

The biggest problem for us was the garden suite. The room itself has huge glass windows overlooking a sitting area which (perhaps naively) we thought were for us. Imagine our horror when on 4 occasions people walked right passed these windows - Luckily on the first occasion we had just changed into our bath robes (as we were going to use the spa). Any earlier and they would have been able to see us in our undies!! :). We ended up having to spend most of the day with most of the curtains closed to give us some privacy which meant on a lovely sunny day we had the spend the time we had in the room in darkness.

So in short - a lovely hotel which I would probably recommend for a treat but think carefully about whether you want to spend extra money on the garden suite.

8  Thank KTJ_SBS
Reviewed April 15, 2012

lovely hotel in a great location and setting just outside Bath. Room was beautiful and well kept and the spa was relaxing- however would recommend only spending a day there as facilities are limited.
Breakfast and morning staff were great, however the evening staff- in particular the waiting staff were rude, slow, forgotfull and seemed like they didnt want to be there at all. I had to even ask to be served after waiting 20 minutes as they seemed to forgot . When they did take the order they bought the drinks out with the food and didnt bother to ask if we wanted dessert.I would have expected more from a 5 *
This is my only critisim of this hotel. Other than that it was brilliant.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed for three nights in early April to celebrate my birthday and we were not disappointed!
This was our third stay in the last eight months, our first since the hotel was taken over by Longleat, and the experience has been excellent every time. A slight worry that a new owner might have changed the service and ambience was unfounded.

I must strongly dispute the comments from an earlier review about the staff. Yes they are young, but they are well trained, courteous, good humoured and enthusiastic. The young men in the restautant not only remembered us from our previous visits,but appeared genuinely pleased to see us again and even remembered some of our likes and dislikes. The manager was courteous and professional.

The food is exceptional and I can recommend the Inspiration menu unreservedly. The chef spoke with my husband about my likes and dislikes and created a menu that was absolutely perfect. We chose the accompanying wines options and they were carefully chosen by one of the young men mentioned earlier. Knowing that we enjoy discussing the wines we drink, he took the time to talk to us about the wine and explain his choices.

The Spa is great, and staff even took the trouble to come to the spa to ask if any guests would like to order a drink, which were then served in 'safe' glasses. This all added to the feeling of wellbeing.

In summary, yet another excellent break and we will be visiting this hotel again soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

We planed a three night escape to Homewood Park at the last minute. It was a perfect spot only 10 mins outside Bath. The hotel has a very nice old world family feel to it. The spa is perfect, and is pitched well against the standard of the hotel. The food is also absolutely fantastic. However where the hotel is let down is in its management. A very simple illustration was on our first night at the hotel the fire alarm went off twice in the night. Health and safety is clearly important. However for the night staff to allow the alarm to be triggered twice is sloppy. There was no offer of any form of compensation and only when I challenged the manager was I offered a nominal discount. In addition to this any prospective visitors should be aware the staff below the manager are extremely young and clearly have limited training in hospitality. Whilst they all seemed very charming people they do not have the experience for a hotel pitching itself at this level. This seems to be a common theme with other comments in this sites.

In summary a great hotel for a weekend away but do not expect much from the staff. A change in management is due!

• Stayed: March 2012
Homewood-manager, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Thank you for your kind compliments with regards to the hotel, spa and fine dining. May I also take the opportunity once more to apologise for the disturbance with the fire alarm during your stay.

The training of the team is always an ongoing process and you can be reassured that we always endeavour to offer the finest of hospitality and service.

I would be grateful if you contact me directly if you feel you wish to discuss further.

With best wishes,

Martin Page
General Manager.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed here on the night of our Wedding at Wick Farm which is a five minute drive away.
We were warmly greeted when we arrived and they bought us two glasses of champagne to the room. This was a lovely way to finish our amazing day.
Our room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. We had a lovely view over the gardens. My mum had paid £225 for the room as a gift to us for our wedding and there were a couple if things that let the hotel down a little. The room was a little dusty in places. Also, breakfast could have been slicker. We had to ask for things that had run out and for our food order to be taken. It didn't matter hugely as the staff were friendly, food was good and we were in no rush.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinton Charterhouse
Combe Grove Hotel
Combe Grove Hotel
#21 of 31 in Bath
Bailbrook House Hotel

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!