“Spa Only review - Would be better is you were a hotel guest...”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Reviewed February 18, 2012

My partner decided to surprise me so booked us both in for a 'valentines special' which run throughout February this cost £70 each and included a 30min treatment with Champagne Afternoon Tea. Arrived at the Hotel reception and were taken to the Spa Area which is a very short walk outside, we were given a 5 digit Locker number on a piece of paper, unfortunately I didn't realise the first digit was the number of the locker I was supposed to use so ended up with all my stuff locked in the wrong locker - Luckily a Therapist came in and sorted this out. With only a towel & no robe (as laundry hasn't delivered these yet) we went into the Spa area. First impression was a little disappointing, the Spa is very open & windows that over look the outside pool aren't tinted so doesn't feel very private.
The entrance opens directly into the spa area allowing fully clothed people with shoes on to walk through the spa area. Next to the hydro pool - (I was a little concerned) as the mat by the spa entrance ran right along side the hydro pool, this didn't feel very hygienic as there were spa users walking around the spa barefoot - there are slippers provided but for me they were far to big and with the wet spa area were dangerously slippery - on a few occasions I nearly slipped over so decided to loose the slippers (this was a last resort as I do not like walking bare foot in wet areas) The facilities here were ok, I enjoyed using the Sauna & Steam rooms and did like the hydro pool but gave the outdoor pool a miss - although heated the weather wasn't to nice outside. I felt after being here an hour I had used all the facilities and being no where to lie down rotated using the facilities again until my treatment. The treatment was good both my partner and I enjoyed these and felt it broke the day up, I had a facial & the therapist used lovely comfort zone products so could only use the pool as I did not want to wash off these products in the steam & sauna rooms. After the treatments we decided to ask to move our afternoon tea forward as we could not spend a further 2.5 hours in the spa again - This wasn't a problem. Eventually we got 1 bed to lie down on and we both shared this - it as so much better having this to lie down on as you could relax, close you eyes for 15mins & read a magazine. With 15min to go before afternoon tea we headed to the locker rooms - These are very small & in the ladies there are no changing rooms only a toilet, the 1 shower in the locker room doesn't have a door which wasn't to much of a problem as It was quiet and I was the only one in there but when I first arrived to the spa there were children using the pool & locker room & wouldn't have felt comfortable showering & changing in front of them. I felt disappointed that being a spa facility there weren't luxury products to use when showering & washing only dispensing units that didn't list what brand they were. When drying, as the changing area is very small I found the water from when you left the shower made the floor very wet & again very slippery. I was also a little disappointed when drying my hair the unit switched off after a minute because it had over heated - when I looked at the unit I could see the filter was clogged up with dust so in order for me to use the dryer I had to brush out the filter to stop the unit over heating (not nice as it was extremely dusty and clogged up) Luckily this worked as I wasn't going to walk outside & have afternoon tea with soaking wet hair - There was no area to plug in straighteners which are almost as important as a hair dryer these days. My partner also mentioned there was no conditioner in the mens showers & no hair dryer (some men wont admit it but sometimes the like to pamper themselves too) Finally we were clothed and ready to make a run for it back to the hotel area we were told to wait in the lounge area where our order would be taken - we found a side room and sat down thinking we would be seated at a dining room table but suddenly our afternoon tea arrived and we had a small side table & our laps to eat off ( it turns out everyone else arrived for afternoon tea at 2:30 which meant no tables & having to eat in a side lounge) this definitely was not the way it has been described ''sitting in front of a roaring log fire'' but in terms of food - I have to give 5 stars for the Champagne afternoon tea - The Scones, Jam, cream & cakes were all hand made & were delicious - this perked me up and made our experience a 3/5 rather than a 1/5 I also liked that the tea was loose leaf - the only down side was I ordered white tea which was a seasonal extra to the menu and they didn't have any left as they were changing to a new season and guess what they hasn't changed over to this yet :( We spent around an 1:15hrs with the afternoon tea which lengthened our visit. Overall I wouldn't return just to use the Spa, I think it would be an extra perk if we had been staying at the hotel - which did look lovely and is in lovely surroundings / gardens, the £70 is justified if you work out the cost of a 30 min treatment & champagne afternoon tea (menu price £29.50) One more down side is when we went to pay they were advertising a mother days spa deal which again was £70 but included a 60 Min treatment & a light lunch which for me would have been a better deal. If you are staying at the hotel I think it is an extra facility but as a day spa I would spend a little bit more money on a bigger more well equip spa that pay attention to the small details.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank boodi88
There are newer reviews for Homewood Park Hotel & Spa

Reviewed February 13, 2012

The Homewood Park Hotel and Spa is warm and welcoming and the staff were very pleasant. We didn't actually stay in the hotel but went to the spa for the day so this review details the disappointing spa experience.

We arrived at 2pm to be told that our treatments had started at 2pm (no one had informed us of this or we would have arrived earlier). We had very differing experiences of the massage but the overall feeling was that it was far too expensive for what you actually received. It cost £60 each and it lasted no more than 20 minutes!!

The manicure and pedicure was the most disappointing - the manicure looked dreadful and when paying £30 to get your nails done, you expect it to be a better job than you can do yourself. This is definitely not the case and I would strongly avoid wasting your money.

The other very important point to consider if you are simply 'enjoying' the spa day, is that you can not wear robes in the hotel and so if you are booked in for cream tea or lunch you have to get changed and walk outside to get back to the hotel - this isn't very relaxing while waiting for treatments and not what you expect from a spa day.

If you are looking for a spa day and are not staying at hotel, look elsewhere!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ELC88
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Booked here last Saturday last minute for a relaxing weekend break. Hotel warm and inviting, room was not ready so we spent 2 hours in the spa area. Steam room, sauna and whirlpool, out door swimming pool but we were not brave enough to try it as it was snowing.
Room clean, spacious and well appointed overlooking the gardens. Walked into Freshford village about 3.0 return journey. Afternoon tea in the lounge by the lovely fire .
Dinner in the evening was a 5 course taster menu with paired wines, my wife does not eat meat but this was no problem as we had warned them at time of booking, the menu was built around no meat and I have to say it was fantastic. Service excellent with out being in your face.
All round a great place to stay for a short break, my only criticism would be that in the winter there are not enough day beds around the spa, only three so if more than three people using the facilities you have to have a seat.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chefdave
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We splashed out and spent our 3-night honeymoon here from 6-9 November, and we were very well looked after accordingly. Money well-spent and we didn't want to leave! Huge comfy beds, fluffy bathrobes and slippers, nicely designed spaces - and the hotel was intimate enough to feel cosy yet still allow privacy. The staff couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable, particularly the waiting/bar staff - from laying a private dining table for us in one of the drawing rooms, accommodating special requests for dinner, to helping with our extensive luggage and room service breakfast orders! The food and drinks were lovely - a nice touch was being offered pots of real loose-leaf tea to drink anywhere in the hotel.
The hotel had just been bought by Longleat that week and there were many management discussions taking place in public areas which probably should not have been carried out around paying guests, but their excitement was understandable! My only criticism was that the pool and spa area (although very clean) was not looked after in the afternoons, and we struggled to find clean towels or staff to help. It was supposedly fully booked during our stay but I didn't see anyone in there at all. But the outdoor heated pool was a delight to use in the cool evening, the hydrotherapy pool was lovely and warm, and the bathrobes were fluffy and warm enough for the outdoor dash back to the room afterwards! We're hoping to stay again for an anniversary, if we can afford it!
Thank you.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank larfincouple
Reviewed January 13, 2012

we spent new year and it was quite expensive, but you get what you pay for, staff are very good indeed, food could not be faulted and service was superb, we overslept it was so quiet and peaceful and comfortable.... missed breakfast, but it was no problem, porrige and toast in our room within a few minutes, and I do like to have my name remembered we will go again as normal rates are very good value

Room Tip: they are all good
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dsahq
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Homewood Park is set in stunning gardens just outside Bath. If you want to be near Bath a car is advisable to get in and out of city on park and ride. This is the perfect hotel to attend to get away from the real world. The house itself is beautiful and we received a warm welcome on arrival. Our room was spacious, clean and warm and very good value for money. The Spa at Homewood is excellent and thoroughly enjoyed lounging in my robes and slippers for my stay! Myself and my partner both received massages which were fantastic! The staff at Homewood can't do enough for you and were always on hand with anything you needed. The food at Homewood is outsanding. Myself and my partner were blown away by the quality of the food. Our a la carte meal was included in the price but if paying separately it is set at £55 each to dine. They also have a Table d Hote menu which is slightly cheaper and a light bite menu. We were treated to fabulous food for the whole of our stay, breakfast, lunch and dinner! I left Homewood Park happy, relaxed and stuffed! I'm going every December!!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Katie S
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed for one night as a birthday treat and had a really wonderful and relaxing time. The building itself is full of character and charm and the staff are very helpful and friendly. Our bedroom was large and bright with dual aspect views onto the grounds and the bed was extremely comfortable. We were very grateful to have been upgraded to a deluxe room instead of a standard room because the hotel wasn't full. On arriving we went into the cosy lounge for a light lunch which was beautifully presented and tasted delicious! Afer lunch we enjoyed the Spa facilities which we found to be excellent. In the evening we ate in the restaurant and were once again delighted with the high standard of the food. We finished our evening with a cointreau coffee in the lounge infront of the log fire - heaven! We will definitely be coming back!

Room Tip: Room number 14 is great!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Combe Grove Hotel
Combe Grove Hotel
#21 of 31 in Bath
Bailbrook House Hotel

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!