“Very enjoyable ride on the beach”

Pony Trekking at Bwlchgwyn Farm
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Had a marvellous morning ride in a group of novices from the farm to the beach and back in the spectacular scenery of the Mawddach estuary. Very professional booking and preparation and the leading riders were helpful and diligent right through the session. Would definitely go again.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Enjoyed a lovely ride with friends, girls leading the ride very professional and efficient. Also chatted to us a long the way. Beautiful scenery and nice long hack. Horse's lovely and well cared for.

Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went on a "hack" / experienced trek and had very good fun. We are both regular riders and I was concerned at the beginning when we headed out in a very large group with some quite wobbly novices.
The staff I chatted to on route were friendly and cheerful. When we got to the beach we separated off with a smaller group and headed up the beach for a good canter. It was very beautiful scenery.
The horses seemed a good combination of safe and steady but still willing to go forward and all appeared to be well cared for and in good condition.
We both enjoyed at and were glad we went.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I live in Snowdonia and have recently been working in Fairbourne. I've been looking for a good stables to get some lessons for myself, to brush up on riding skills not much used since childhood. Bwlchgwyn, is set in a wonderful place and looks clean and well run. When my family came up for a few days this summer, I decided to bring my young, horse-mad niece for a novice beach ride and try them out. It would also be a lovely thing for us to do together, as I don't get to see much of her.
On arrival we filled in the necessary paperwork and were fitted for hats. We then waited for over half an hour before we were ready to get on the horses. There was a child's party running late and the staff were involved with that. We wandered round to the gate and looked over into the barn to see the horses and were told to go back and wait in the waiting area. Not really necessary as there was nothing else to do, they were late and we were not doing any harm just looking.
Eventually we did go into the barn and get on the horses. My niece was whisked away and put on a small pony. I was not allowed to take a photo of her on her pony and we were marched out of the barn and off on the ride. I was not asked whether I wanted to ride with my niece, which was after all the whole point of the trip! I was at least 10 horses back from her and had no contact throughout the 2 hours of the ride. I was not allowed to take a photo of her while we were out on the ride. I asked one of the helpers to take a picture and she said we would stop when on the beach for a photo. This did not happen and when we got back to the stables she had been whipped off her pony before I even got into the yard.
The general atmosphere on the whole ride was one of a military marching exercise. The helpers were constantly shouting at people, 'you on so and so, keep in line', 'you on so and so, stop pulling so hard on the reins' etc etc. Not exactly rude, but not far off. It all just felt like a bit of a trial, both for us and the staff.
It was a real shame as the horses are obviously very well looked after, the ride is in some of the most amazing scenery and it could have been really pleasurable. I think they just had too many people out on the ride and were struggling to maintain the group. Hence, they were really uptight and made everyone else feel the same. I was looking forward to the ride with my niece, who I see very little of, and what we got was a route march in total isolation from each other.

6  Thank harlechkate