“My fourth visit - another wonderful stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Slate Shed B &B at Graig Wen

The Slate Shed B &B at Graig Wen
Ranked #1 of 1 Arthog B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“My fourth visit - another wonderful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

My fourth visit to Graig Wên was as good as the first in March 2009 (reviewed 1 April). This time I was with my partner and my parents (their second visit). We stayed in our usual room (Brân) because we love the bath, the lovely bed and the views of the Mawddach estuary.

Sarah and John are always so welcoming as are their staff. Sarah booked us into the lovely Mawddach Restaurant (http://www.mawddach.com/) for dinner on Saturday - highly recommended.

We'll be back for sure :)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

For 75 pounds a night, we got a cozy little room with its own bathroom, and breakfast. Also a great secluded location on the hill above the Malddach Estuary. The walk down to and along the estuary was the best part of our entire trip to the UK. We loved it!

Graig Wen has great staff and service too. There is a reason they are getting awards, and they are deserved. Still, there is more work to be done on the place as Sarah and John strive for continuous improvement. We highly recommend them and their establishment.

Wish the room was a little larger, but given the fact you want to be outside all the time anyway, no big deal.

My only other wish is that dinner was provided also, but then you can't expect them to work 24 hours a day, can you? So, this is one of the top places to stay and get to know the area of Snowdonia. We would return anytime, and suggest you give it a try.

Oh, we do have one more regret....we wish we had had time to spend a week at Graig Wen, instead of just one night!

By the way, I rarely give 5 star ratings. Unlike some reviewers on Trip Advisor who just give them away and always seem to cheer about everything without any real evaluation, I am critical and attempt to provide accurate and fair information. With that in mind, I give Graig Wen a well-deserved 5 stars.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

I read the reviews, looked at the website, read a great article in The Guardian but nothing prepared me for how the beauty of this place would make me feel. I challenge you to find anywhere more beautiful.

We are fairly seasoned campers and had a few options this Summer which included France and Cornwall. Cornwall was temping - lots for the kids to do, it was a fairly safe bet. Something drew us to Wales though, maybe it was my husband's family history or maybe it was both our memories of visiting Portmerion and climbing Snowdon as children. Wales it was and our trusted guide, Cool Camping for Kids gave a great review of Graig Wen. Luck was in and they had a vacancy. It appealed mostly because of the flat cycle paths, it would be great to have a few family rides. Well we did, in fact, in the six days we were there, we only used the car once! Heaven!! The path runs between Barmouth (great and only slightly tacky seaside town) and dolgellau (a small but lovely town with great independent shops and tea rooms). The path runs along the estuary and although I tried to blame my seven year old for not looking where he was going, in all honesty it was probably me careering all over the path as I just couldn't take my eyes off those views. The best bit of the path has to be the bridge that joins the path to Barmouth. You have to pay a small but fair fee to use it and it runs alongside the railway. The views literally took my breath away. If you go you can't miss the stunning quarry above Fairbourne. Don't make our mistakes and take the bikes on the footpath but do take yourself on this exciting walk that leads you to the bluey green waters surrounded by the dramatic face of the quarry walls. I couldn't wait to jump in - my tip is take your wetsuit!

Back at the campsite we loved our pitch. A sensible hike up to the tree bog in the morning was an invigorating way to start the day. The beautifully installed butler sink was only a stones throw from our tent so tea was in plentiful supply. Other tens were near enough that we didn't feel isolated but far enough away so we had privacy and space. Each pitch offers a different advantage - next time I think it will be Stream Corner for us.

Jon and Sarah obviously are very passionate about what they are doing and pay great attention to detail. They are available at set times should you need them but the best bit was having the freedom to enjoy their beautiful land without too many rules!

We chose camping this year because we love it but also as a cost saving option. Had I all the money in the world would I choose the same holiday?? Yes, yes, a million times over. We all agreed it was our best ever holiday.

John, Sarah - how much would it cost for us to stay forever?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

We went as a family to the bell tent at Graig Wen on a car free holiday and were blown away by the beauty and unspoilt nature of the area. The bell tent was a lovely structure to be in, in its own glade - felt separate from the hard pitch camp site which was good - real sense of peace there. Getting around without a car was mixed but very manageable - it always takes time to tune into local transport, and you just have to slow down your rythmn. The bus right outside the campsite was great, hourly, reliable, but co-ordinating local buses and trains on the same journey didn't really work out - either / or was fine. Graig Wen were helpful on timetables - though it would be good to be just automatically given full local bus and local train timetables as soon as you arrive so you don't have to work through what you need once you're there. Morfa Mawdach, the nearest station is a couple of miles walk along the beautiful Mawdach trail, and Barmouth a further mile, which we walked a few times there and back easily with the children. Graig Wen were really helpful re lifts to inaccessible places (dropped us off and picked us up from Cader Idris) and offered to buy food when they were shopping, but the honesty shop and picking up fresh veg etc from Barmouth was fine. By the end of the week, we felt great and had been happily outdoors more than if we'd had the car - and had more spontaneity and interesting encounters throughout the week without it. There's a slightly weird set up with showers of having to pay a pound for a not great shower even when you've paid bell tent / yurt rates - feels like it should be included the price - but Graig Wen are developing some new showers, so maybe that will change (small setback on an otherwise lovely site).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

The hosts at Graig Wen have thought of everything to help their guests make the most of our holidays. There is everything from full bed and breakfast service to semi-wild camping amongst the woodland / with a stunning estuary view / next to a bubbling stream.

They go out of their way to help the guests out, if you are camping more remotely they obligingly help you get your gear to your pitch in a lovely old Landrover, there are informative tourist information suggestions scattered around the site and even specialist events in situ such as wild food foraging and cooking. It is also a treat if you are camping for a while to be able to freeze your cool box blocks in their freezer and are able to charge up your phone etc – just for a donation to the Air Ambulance…
Every pitch on the Lower Fields has a fire pit and again to make camping life easier they helpfully bring the wood that you buy down to your pitch in the Landrover. It’s all very civilized.

The site is beautiful with amazing sunsets over the estuary. I had a bubbling stream and mixed woodland right by my pitch.

Graig Wen is well located with all levels of walk right on the doorstep and the convenient Mawddach Trail running at the bottom of the site, which is great for easy walking / cycling for everybody including wheelchair users and pushchairs. There are plenty of people cycling with their dogs getting the chance to be off the lead as the trail is (more or less) livestock free.

I loved it so much I’m going back for my birthday a week after I left! Thank you to the people behind this special place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

Just back from a fantastic Welsh odyssey the highlight of which was our stay at Graig Wen. We booked on the recommendation of friends who camped there last year but even their enthusiasm and the Graig Wen website didn’t prepare us for the beauty of the site - it really is an idyllic site in a stunning location. The lay of the land splits the site quite naturally into different areas so no matter where your pitch, you have an abundance of space and very few neighbors.

On arrival Sarah and John explained that due to a last minute cancellation on their lower field (which at present is only available to camp on in August) we could pitch there if we were happy to wait another day. We had the option of pitching for one night and moving the next day or to spend a night in one of their B&B rooms. Normally ones to eschew such extravagancies (we’ve rarely been impressed by B&Bs) our minds were made up after Sarah gave us a quick tour of the rooms. They were all impeccable. Each with an individual and contemporary feel, fabulous furniture and luxurious bathrooms. We didn’t regret our decision for a moment and as an ardent camper, I have to confess the bed was brilliant. Breakfast too was a joy and even though my full English was excellent, I was slightly envious of my partner’s choice of the continental breakfast which looked, and I’m assured, tasted fabulous.

Happily replete we set off to pitch our tent and went on to have a great few days exploring the area. Sarah and John were great hosts, on hand to offer tips and advice if needed but otherwise we were left alone to enjoy ourselves. Our time at Graig Wen was the highlight of a great holiday, so much so that we’re already considering breaking our cardinal rule of never going to the same place twice!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

An exceptional bed and breakfast experience! The room was creatively designed with a superb bathroom - the lighting making it even more special. A fantastic view of the lovely Mordach estuary and cycle track below. The honesty bar was an excellent idea and was well stocked. The owners, Sarah and John, had taken great care to make sure Graig Wen is sympathetic to the environment in many ways. The journey up from the cycle track with cycles requires some effort but is definitely worth it. The camping looks like it would be a fantastic experience too.

• Stayed August 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arthog
Ty'r Graig Castle
#1 of 24 in Barmouth
Tan y Gader
Tan y Gader
#1 of 34 in Dolgellau

Been to The Slate Shed B &B at Graig Wen? Share your experiences!