“Rough Diamond”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Evanton, United Kingdom
“Rough Diamond”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Had an enjoyable lunch here with family. We all ordered starters which we quickly realised was going to be a mistake as the portion sizes were HUGE. Far too big and i appreciate that this is a generous gesture by the owners but if they cut down the starter size then more people would have room for dessert! More profit for the owners.
Main course was for two of our party a trip to the carvery whilst the others chose from the menu. All food cooked very well and presented in a timely manner and nice and hot.
The menu is nicely varied and should cater for most tastes and all at a very competitive price. Decor needs tweaking and the cleanliness is good but the toilets I`m afraid need immediate attention.
Staff were all very pleasant but if you are going to employ giggly school girls as waitresses then your customer service comments and grading will suffer as a result.

More of a filling station than fine dining at present which is a shame as the kitchen staff have obvious skill. Nothing here to draw me back for the moment sadly.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Neil D

Portstewart, United Kingdom
“Not worth a visit.”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Ten of us went for our Christmas party lunch. Got there to be told we couldn't order off the Christmas menu. We sat with our coats on it was so cold inside. Food was very slow coming out to the entire table. Some had finished before the full table was served. Staff were not pleasant, the word thank-you was never expressed.
I heard so many great reviews to be very disappointed.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Beggsy19
Liverpool
“Fantastic food and HUGE portions”
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

We have visited the Station Hotel twice now while on holiday in the area. We found the quality of the food to be outstanding. I had the haddock which had a melt in the mouth batter and was cooked to perfection and amazingly they don't just serve one fish, but two! The quantity of the meal was absolutely huge!! You would certainly never leave feeling hungry. My husband had the venison pie which he said was absolutely delicious. The meat was plentiful and cooked to perfection. We could not fault the Station Hotel on its food or service and we shall be returning on our next visit to Avoch.

Inverness, United Kingdom
“Great food”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

First time visiting with my partner after hearing great reviews from friends and I must say the food was 10/10. Massive portions and very tasty, only problems were the staff. Two of the waitresses were great couldn't fault their service but a boy and young girl were very abrupt and one smelt strongly of body odour so was very of putting.

Cromarty, United Kingdom
“Mountains of food!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Had a short notice need for four of us to eat and shot up the road to Avoch as we were too late and/or out of season for the local haunts. We absolutely floundered under the amount of food and all of us chose differently, with the same result - very good pub grub! The duck I had would, frankly, have been exceptional in a top restaurant - superbly cooked and flavoursome.

I do have a criticism and that is that there was far too much food. The duck was served with some lovely jus (I HATE that word) and three veg (fine) and excellent haggis mash. That would have done. But to add - wait for it ... new potatoes AND chips was every so slightly over the top! However, we all ate well and could barely walk out of the place. The puddings were very 'pub-like' and the sugar rush I had from the Malteser crepe (yes, really) was enormous.

The bill was very reasonable so it rates highly for value for money. The service was great - friendly and very fast.

I wouldn't go if I wanted gourmet food (excepting the superb duck!) but if I needed filling this is right up there. In the years we've been going there either on holiday or since we moved to the Black Isle, there's no doubt about the improvements to the place and long may it continue.

1 Thank jeremy_hotpepper