“Very Disappointed!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Very Disappointed!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stopped by for a drink with several friends after reaching bonne by bikes. Were refused a drink at 2 in the afternoon by the waitress citing the restaurant being closed despite there being others still eating and being served drinks and the staff sitting round with drinks. Felt we didn't fit her view of the appropriate customers for this establishment, which for rural France is a little disappointing. When asked if there was somewhere else nearby that was open she stated there wasn't. This was a lie as we found a bar not further that 400m away which didn't come with British prejudice for 6 men seeking une pression. All in all an unpleasant experience in a lovely part of France where I've been coming for over 20 years

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Winter1983
Arc03, Owner at Le Sud, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
First of all I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us .however I would like to explain a couple of things if I may. It was more towards 2.30-2.45 when you came in and indeed we were having a drink with friends that had just turn up. That is why we were closed we, like other trades must have a cut off point ,the unfortunate thing about us here, is when family and friends come around for a coffee or a drink and it is nice weather we cannot go anywhere else but on the terrasse but that does not mean we are open 24/7. Second as for the "lie"about another bar I know the restaurant that you are refering to and they do not have a license to retail drinks and therefore are not a bar and are doing so illegally.
And last and not least your comment about being prejudiced about British people, my customer base is about 80% British, I lived in the UK 20 years and my wife is British so I do strongly object to your remark regarding this matter. Regardless of race, gender, religion etc...when we are closed we are closed.

Stoney Stanton, United Kingdom
“Bonnes return”
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

I'm back no hire car this time but straight to the bar Le Sud , T-bone de veau grillee was on the menu heaven , just as good as before and only €15 and the chef Chris found time to come to the front of house and he rembered me which made you feel special if you get me valued that sort of thing .
A absolute gem in the middle of the country side .
Can't wait till I can get back later in the year .
10/10 again .

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Gary H
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Really good food & friendly people”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

It's been a while since we ate here, but we have eaten here on many occasions and never been disappointed. My parents live in the village and during the summer we house swapped and we ate here on both Sundays. The menu was great, we had more traditional French starters and "puds" but opted for the roast beef main coarse both times. We sat outside in the sunshine at lunchtime and the service was excellent. Beryl was really, really helpful and very friendly. Our French being patchy to say the least it was very nice to be able to relax and not be too stressed by the ordering process. The food is delicious and there is plenty of it. Nothing was too much trouble. There was a huge bonus of being entertained by the red squirrels playing around the War Memorial too. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone else to eat at Le Sud.

• Visited June 2012
east sussex
“Great value and good food”
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I came here with friends, one who lives in Bonnes. 13 euros for 5 courses including wine and coffee. Typical ' working man's ' restaurant - simple food at reasonable prices and very tasty. Service fine and friendly. Highly recommended!

Visited April 2013
Stoney Stanton, United Kingdom
“Super food and hospitality”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My second time in the bar Le Sud and it was amazing , they were very busy and I mean busy but were only to happy to find me a table and the food was super , I must praise the chef I think I heard his name was Chris the t bone I had was fault less and the charming lady front of house I now know to be his wife was also very helpful with some guidance on some questions I asked her completely nothing to so with their business , thanks and I will be back as soon as my little hire car can bring me .