“Interesting, knowledgeable and considerate hosts. Beautiful accommodation.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rousdon
Allhallows B&B @ West House
Ranked #1 of 2 Rousdon B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

The definitive place to stay in the Lyme Regis area. The history of the building and the Rousdon estate is quite fascinating. Grayson and Christine Newton are wonderful hosts. Location is convenient for Lyme and Beer.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Having seen the website, and read all of the ecstatic reviews on tripadvisor my husband and I had high expectations as we turned into the driveway of the Rousden Estate. From the magnificent building ("It's like staying at Hogwarts" whispered my husband as we pulled into the courtyard), to the friendly welcome extended by both Grayson and Christine, to the magnificent four poster room, bathed in some much overdue Dorset sunshine everything exceeded our expectations.

Others have already waxed lyrical about the tasteful decor, the perfect balance of history and modern comfort (surely the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in - our own included!) and the home from home welcome so I will content myself with saying that two nights was nowhere near enough, and we will definately be planning to return to All Hallows very soon. Thank you Grayson and Christine, if I could give you six stars I definately would. Fiona and Neil Waye.

Room Tip: Both rooms are peaceful and benefit from late afternoon sunshine. If you are travelling in the wint...
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay at All Hallows. We stayed in the blue room which was huge with a very comfortable bed and generous seating area at one end. We took a peek at the four poster bed room too; I don't often use the word impressive but I think that this is the only word that properly describes it. At first I wasn't quite sure if I would enjoy my breakfast, sharing a table with the other guests as I am not always the the most sociable person in the morning. I was completely wrong, the other guests were excellent company and Grayson made everyone feel at ease as he effortlessly cooked his ' aga eggs'. I love the area around Beer and will certainly stay at All Hallows again.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

The owners Grayson & Christine make you feel very welcome, and the four poster room has been tastefully restored back to its 19th century roots.Excellent breakfast's with good conversation with the owner.The Rousdon estate is beautiful, so quiet and good for walking.
All round worthy of it's 5 stars.
Pat & Barry Johnson

1  Thank Barry J
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Most of the earlier reviews have covered the great accommodation ... we have nothing more to add other than admiration for the attention to detail in the accommodation and by the hosts, and probably the best breakfast we have ever had in a B&B. To complement the other reviews about the surrounding estate ...

Do come with some time prepared to spend some time walking around the estate (ask your hosts for directions for what is public and private). We walked across the estate and saw a perfect sunset looking west towards Exmouth and east towards Portland. Can easily take up a couple of hours on a summer evening pottering around the estate.

We had fun seeing all of the estate buildings that have been converted into homes and holiday lets (covered elsewhere on trip advisor). The estate was home to a school for a number of years. The estate is flat, easy and mud free walk.

However you will need strong shoes or walking boots if you walk on the Under Cliff (a woodland separating the core of the estate from a private beach in Lyme Bay). The local mud in the Under Cliff is famously slippery and sticky when wet. Walking enthusiasts can walk along the under cliff to Lyme Regis or Seaton via the South West Coast Path that runs through the Undercliffs National Nature Reserve.

Returning to the accommodation we have stayed in both rooms over a pair of visits - both rooms are big and high compared with other B&B.

It is nice to have a B&B with lots of room space - no need for a sitting room. We felt welcome to spend all the time we wanted in the house, and spent more than a couple of hours sitting on the big window seats of our room reading. WiFi is there if you have to work.

Unusually for Lyme the plumbing is very good and bathrooms were warm. (For some reason some other B&B and hotels around Lyme Regis have poor plumbing).

Room Tip: Both rooms very good, we will pay the little extra for the even larger room with four poster bed.
2  Thank Phil C
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I have read the reviews for All Hallows and there is not much more to add to the comments regarding the excellence of the accommodation. As others have found, the spacious rooms and bathroom facilities are faultless. The excellent breakfasts, the Aga kitchen, have all been well described so I will, instead, point out some of the less mentioned aspects of a stay at this fascinating estate.

On first entering the magnificent driveway, you will be struck by the beautiful trees, and the open and airy feel of the estate. First glimpse of the mansion is breathtaking. As you look towards it, all Hallows B and B is to the right of the building. If you ring to announce your arrival at this point either Christine or Grayson will guide you in to the unloading area. This in itself is interesting. You will drive through a tunnel into a cobbled courtyard. Grayson or Christine, great hosts, will be there to meet you and offer you help with luggage. Once unloaded and installed, you will take the car to the larger area for car parking which is near the huge stable block. A lot of the estate is now converted into apartments and some are self catering properties. Once inside your b and b, the first flight of steps will bring you into the large kitchen area where breakfast is served, the second flight brings you to the guest rooms. One is a four poster, the other (ours) a very large room with a huge bathroom which is a pleasure to use.
All hallows does not have a separate sitting room for guests but quite honestly this is not needed. You will be perfectly comfortable in your room, complete with window seats ... loads of relaxing, leg stretching space.

I was interested in the position of All Hallows when I booked the accommodation as I knew it sat above the famous Undercliff walk, the result of an ancient, massive landslip.. a world heritage site . An estate 'path' crosses this undercliff route and continues down to a private beach. Before undertaking any exploration of the path and the beach area, you should speak to Grayson who will describe it and will urge you to wear strong footwear. I was amazed at the depth of the clefts and fern filled valleys on the way down. Very, very steep. Remember, if you do go down there, you have to come back up!. More than worth it though for those interested in the terrain. An amazing amount of noise the day we went down...a big sea, dragging millions of pebbles about.

Staying at All Hallows puts you in a perfect position to visit Lyme Regis, Beer (our favourite) and Sidmouth. All have interesting and varied aspects to them. If you want to eat out in the evening you should book somewhere. We didn't and, after joining a 'crush' in a recommended pub/restaurant, had to leave again because of the lack of tables. We ended up in the Beer Fish and Chip shop, sitting in with fish, chips, mushy peas, tea bread and butter. The food at the 'chippy' was great but we made sure our next meal was thought about prior to setting out.

Staying at All Hallows is more than just accommodation, more than just a bed and breakfast, it is an exhilarating experience. So, if you like a bit of adventure in your travels, book it now.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

There isnt much to say that hasnt already been said.

My wife and I have just returned from a 5 night stay. We stayed in the 4-poster room and I can only echo other reviewers sentiments - that this is possibly the best B&B in the UK. It's certainly the most impressive I've been to.

The room was beautifully restored & very comfortable; and Grayson and Christine were brilliant hosts - nothing was too much for them. I'll miss our breakfast chats!

This is a no brainer, its a must stay B&B!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 4 Poster Room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rousdon
Dower House Hotel
#1 of 45 in Lyme Regis
Westwood Guest House
Westwood Guest House
#3 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to Allhallows B&B @ West House? Share your experiences!