After an amazing holiday here in february this year we decided to return the last two weeks of october. We were one of three sets of guests already on a second visit!
This time we booked a pool villa with island club,the pool villas are very spacious, large bedroom upstairs with ensuite toilet. Bedroom downstairs with 2 large single beds,desk and storage. the lounge is almost divided - lounge area and area with desk,minibar,expresso machine - this leads thro to the large bathroom and an outside round stone bath. The plunge pool was a real bonus - we liked and used that alot - there are a few trees, small plants and shrubs infront to the side of the pool villas so you have uninterupted views of the indian ocean. (less so at low tide when the island sea defences are more visible)
The professional serviceand friendliness throughout the island staff is exceptional, and with the benefit of island club it put the icing on the cake! Poolside service was immaculate ,canapies ,cake oclock, sorbets and an extended cocktail list, a large and varied library and laptops for keeping up to date. Eating at the island club was also lovely- it followed the italian 6 course( less the pasta dish) - delicious!
Best Dives is the dive centre on the island, proffesional,friendly and good fun, with new,well maintained equipment .I have only 36 dives logged (16 with best dives)and not the fittest! so I wanted to do shallow dives to pretty coral gardens,concentrate more on bouyancy and taking photos, this was not a problem - every afternoon taken to a different location, with usually just me, my dive buddy (who were all amazing and really helpful with tips on how to improve my photos, skills etc- I really learnt a lot from them) and the three lovely boat crew. The coral gardens were superb - I saw so many different types,formations and the sealife was abundant and very varied.
I dived with whalesharks( and snorkelled) - what an experience!! videos and photos to follow! .
My son(7) used the watersports alot - catamarraning with a skipper,banaboat, + other inflatables, pedalos, canoeing, windsurfing lessons and taken on a jet ski.
With the dive centre he did air assisted snorkelling twice ( to young to go under the sea!)
all kitted up with dive gear snorkelling the island reef! He also snorkelled with whalesharks -Great photos!!
My husband had to work a lot while on this trip ,we had requested 24hr internet access for 3 devices for the duration of our stay - this was not a problem and he quite enjoyed lazing in the plunge pool,with a cool drink while doing emails looking out across the ocean watching the seaplanes arrive and take off!.
Like the last time every meal was exceptional, the buffet lunch at the lotus was excellent,japanese night- delicious!........................
What I also enjoyed seeing was how the garden areas and planting around the island are developing,in february it was pretty if a little sparce, now its maturing and filling out it is really nice.
The evening entertainment on the island is quite, but enough - quiz night,disco night,crab racing,underwater movie-( my son won 3rd place crab racing (6 calsbergs,and first prize the second week - a massage!)
We were there for halloween and there was a halloween party - the coral bar was decorated, DJ clement was mixing the spooky tunes and some staff were in halloween costume! It was a really good fun evening
During the month of may there were a few big storms,this shows erosion beside the island club _ although neatly repaired and protected by sandbags.
there was also some erosion to the beach leaving the reef restuarant in the direction of the pool villas, and further erosion to the area infront of the family water villas and beach villas 22/23. The beach further round in the direction of the watersports has gotten larger.While we were there these problems were being addressed and new sandbag protection was being built next to family water villas.
If you are planning a trip here at the moment I would recommend being in a beach suite on the same side as dive centre,or on the other beach closer to the watersports centre, for a pool villa I would recommend nos 4 or 5.Have not tried a sunset water villa.for the deluxe water villa we thought the side facing the dive centre was more private (not facing the sunset water villas) and the snorkelling here is good.
We were extremely lucky with the weather 12 days sunshine and the last two days overcast with rain.
All in all we had an unforgettable holiday,met some lovely people (hi!!)and are now researching our next maldives trip.Which might be centara again!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by the blue ocean of the South Ari Atoll, and distinctive with its timbered walkways and colonial-style buildings, Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives is a barefoot paradise with a palm-fringed beach and shimmering lagoon that offers the perfect island holiday for everyone. With 112 spacious villas set over-water, and suites blending harmoniously with the natural setting, the island has a wealth of activities and superb facilities that makes this an ideal hideaway for couples and honeymooners, or a fun-filled destination for families. There are exceptional opportunities to discover the exotic life of Maldives underwater, with a house reef that is a kaleidoscope of colour for snorkellers, a shipwreck dive site just off the island, and easy access to some of the most famous dive sites in the world. With our Ultimate All-Inclusive concept, your stay on our tropical island is absolutely carefree, with dining, rejuvenating, playing and exploring all included. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Fastbooking, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, TravelUp, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Island Resort And Spa
- Centara Grand Island Hotel Centara Grand Island
- Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives