“Perfect for families - probably not ideal for honeymooners” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives

Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect for families - probably not ideal for honeymooners”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We have been here twice with our four young children and it is as far as I'm aware he only Island paradise where you don't have to feel bad about bringing your kids.

We take a luxury pool beach villa with island club extra and we all love it. It really is all-inclusive including spa treatments, nice dining, and alcohol. Our favourites to eat in the evening are the island club and Italian restaurant.

Only gotcha is $15/hour/kid for babysitting but they offered us $15/hour for all four if asleep. In the end we kept them all on UK time and up for dinner with us

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank tomweiss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
lpswich suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Well we're do we start my wife celebrated her birthday here and we also renewed our wedding vows at the resort ,we stayed in a beach villa 103 and it was certainly as we had been told paradise the beach was soft white sand,the sea was like a swimming pool crystal clear a bit like swimming in an aquarium, The staff are so friendly and will do all they possibly can to make your stay the best my wife and I could NOT fault the service we got the rooms were cleaned to a very good standard and we were all inclusive but the mini bar was chargeable unless you were ultra inclusive or club members but fresh water was provided Free .
We had most of our meals in the reef bar were they cater for all ages some of the meals are mild spiced and have a themed night as in they have foods from all over the world each night so food is different but they will supply meals if there's nothing you like and if you take children and they want chips that's not an issue they can have them without fuss my wife and I made very good friends with the staff at the resort, NURA ,JANET, AMIR They made our stay most pleasurable also special thanks to the staff involved in the wedding planning it was made so special for us both most memorable,Thanks to SINTA .
the spa treatments we had were fantastic facility's at the resort are very good indeed we are already making plan's for our next visit back to the Centara grand resort the snorkelling here is the best in the area as they have a house reef were others come from other resorts to dive, Fantastic place .***** you deserve it thanks

2 Thank risha_13
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Best vacation ever, Island Club is in my opinion underrated here at Tripadvisor, at was amazing
the best 5 course dinner u can imagine, I already miss the waiters at Island Club, they were fantastic,freindly people that would do anything to make your holliday perfect.

The Island Cub is situated at he best spot on the island, the view and the beach, the palm trees,
u have got to see it to believe it. I will not share any pictures because all of them are personal images.

Big and very charming beach villas, the outdoor batthub was the best, and i have seen a few. I have been to the Maldives before at other resorts.

Sending my regards an love to the staff, miss you all, if you have any problems dont hesitate to contact Doi a guest relation manager, she is one out of a million, thank you Doi for your service.
Hope to meet you again.

I got the best massage at the spa i have ever had, my wife and I had complimentary half hour or 1 hour massage massage every day.

I have tried the all inclusive concept before, and i had promised myself never again, because its
always been disapointing.

I was told that this was different, and it was, it was beyond belief, fresh juice,watermelon, papaya, you name it, the wine selection wouuwww. it was just so good, i want go back ASAP.

Room Tip: go for the beach villas, and Island Club.
4 Thank jan a
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

After reviewing Tripadvisor comments on this resort and spa we booked and I can honestly say we had a wonderful holiday on this beautiful little island. We had booked a Deluxe Water Villa and made some attempts by email to upgrade to a Luxury Sunset Villa but the hotel was full so we were settled for what we had requested. The villa was well positioned over the azure water and close to the beach and house reef. The accommodation was clean and the amenities provided were very good although the decor lacks some refinement. Bed was harder than I expected and the sunloungers, although the mattresses were very comfortable, were poor plastic grade and I had to ask for a replacement when I sat on one and it gave way under my weight (I'm a big lad...but not that big!!). Lovely window setup which enables you to sit in bed with a cup of tea in the morning and look out to sea. We spotted dolphins swimming past on 3 separate occasions (fabulous). Easy access to the water down wooden stairs which had rope on the lower steps into the water to avoid slippages. Staff were top class! Everyone was keen to ensure we had everything we wanted and focussed on making sure we were enjoying ourselves. I would particularly commend Suja (who organised porridge for us every morning), Bipu in the Aqua bar and Dilum in the Coral bar who were wonderful and a credit to Centara. The highlight was our trip out to snorkel with the whale shark (gentle monster), manta rays (heavenly dancers) and turtles. The lads on our boat were wonderful and held my wife's hand in the water because she was a little nervous at first. One evening, when there was a sudden and unexpected downpour, staff rushed to find us (and other residents) umbrellas.

Room Tip: We were happy with our position in the group of Deluxe Water Villas and pleased in the end that a Su...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Chasyj
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We spent a week here in April 2012. We flew into Centara on a seaplane which was amazing. The views were spectacular, as was the first glimps of centara.

Unfortunately both myself and my husband had a sickness bug (that we took with us not from the resort) whilst we were at Centara. As I was preganant at the time the hotel staff arranged for the doctor to visit me. The doctor was very nice too.

All the staff were incredibly helpful during our stay. We had the same waiter each day and they remembered us and were very friendly.The selection of food at the buffet each day was very good. My one complaint would be that in the evenings there wasn't any plain food (that I was craving after my sickness bug). I did order chips one evening from the bar (at room service prices!) just for something plain and boring! The thai restaurant was lovely, the selection and quality was very good.

Our favourite meal was at the fish restaurant. The food and service was truly excellent. The island band came to visit the restaurant (I think that they go round all three restaurants each evening) and they did a request for each table...they were fantastic and they have a great repertoire of songs. They really made our holiday.

The pool was lovely and we loved to just sit and look out over the ocean. It was quiet when we were there and there was never a problem getting a sun lounger.

We chose to stay in a sunset villa...wow it was fantastic. We had great views of the ocean (from the bed!!) and two levels of balcony outside to sunbathe...pure luxury! They were definitely worth the extra money.

We snorkled most days off our sunset villa, the coral and fishes were beautiful. We also hired a pedalo and sailed around the island. I would really recommend this, it doesn't take long but it gives a good view of the whole island.

Due to me being pregnant (and our bugs) we didn't get a chance to do many excursions. There are lots to choose from and they looked really good. We did do a sunset cruise which was really good. The amazing colours of the sunset against the ocean was really something to see,

We would definitely recommend this hotel.

There weren't many children on the island and I would say more of a couples holiday.

Room Tip: Definitely push the boat out for a sunset villa! We didnt think that club access was worth the extra...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mmunro100
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here in October 2012 for our honeymoon and stayed at the Luxury Water Villa. I adore the outdoor showers after swimming in the ocean, I was told that the outdoor showers were not available on the other larger water villas (Sunset villas?) so was pleased I'd booked this one. The villa was lovely and spacious with great view of the ocean (and neighbors too if you don't keep the curtains closed at times). We also had the Island Club deal which gave us exclusive use of the addtional private pool which I found to be less busy and not so many children. The all day and all inclusive drinks and food was fabulous. Lotus restaurant was our favourite but we found out it had to be booked early or risk not getting a table.
We had a little problem with room service as they kept charging us for the drinks from the minibar which were meant to be inclusive, when we talked to the service manager we were told only some were included but there was no information anywhere as to which were and which were not.

Room Tip: Definitely worth taking the Island Club
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KritsanaChase
Berks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in 2011 and returned for a quick week's break the beginning of Feb. Again this resort failed to disappoint us -

Food - buffet was as good as we remember it and great choices for all meals with a superb selection at breakfast. The waiters are amazing and ours even remembered us from 2011! The Thai is a memorable as our first trip and could not wait to return here for this reason and they did not fail to deliver! On our last visit the Italian was turned into a fish restaurant and became very unpopular, we did not enjoy the meal when it was a fish restaurant but had heard great reviews from when it was an Italian - we were however disappointed. Tepayaki, as good as I remember however the menu did see the same!

Rooms - we again stayed in a beach villa, normally when we visit the Maldives we stay in Water Villas but with this resort there is no need. It did look as though the accommodation could do with a re-fresh.

The entertainments guys we lovely chaps, certainly knew they enjoyed their work - perhaps just a shame that not many people participate in evening activities (apart from crab racing). The band that plays every evening are amazing and I really think they all have talent, they were there on our last visit.

The Island have moved to luxury all inclusive, you need to make sure you ask for a Gordon Gin and Tonic as it is not automatically given, this I think for now is due to those who booked before it became ultimate all inclusive. Was disappointed on the amount of cocktails offered, those that were once AI were now chargeable.

Apart from my small winges, both my husband and I love this resort – the staff are amazing, the island beautiful. It meets our every wish for a relaxing and effortless holiday and will return again…. Perhaps later this year!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,848 reviews
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Mirihi

Been to Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives? Share your experiences!