“pure paradise!”

Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives
Reviewed November 6, 2012

What more can I say? We have been back 4 days and my head is still there!!! The Maldives are absolutely beautiful and the Centara resort was perfect. This was our second trip to the Maldives. Myself and my husband originally visited the Maldives 10 years ago for our Honeymoon and stayed at Meeru so didn't know what to expect 10 years on but we were very impressed and found it hard to leave. All the staff made us feel so special. They were all very friendly and regularly asked if they could do anything o make our visit any better. We couldn't think of anything. Before we even arrived I had regular correspondence with Doi who was always prompt and very helpful. She arranged a few things surprises for my husbands 40th and everything ran smoothly(thank you so much Doi). we stayed In a Delux water villa 87 with island club and it was great. Fantastic views of the ocean and our room boy Henry cleaned our room 2-3 times a day and brought a fruit bowl on arrival and set the bed with flowers for my husbands birthday. we had wifi in our rooms and it is now complimentary as is the mini bar which is replaced everyday with island club.I would recommend Iskand club if it is within your budget as you are made to feel really special as they bring you drinks rgularly as well as cold towels round the pool etc.mI do think without island club that you will still find everything just perfect. We had a day on our own island which was the Robinson Crusoe trip. we were there all dat and we had a huge amount of beautifu food and drink, we had a mobile phone I case we wanted to come back early which we didn't need and it was the most amazing experience, quite expensive but worth it as a special treat. The fish and sharks are beautiful. You will definitely need an underwater camera, even though you often see them from the decking and as you walk along the beach. It rained a couple of times while we were there and the staff made you feel relaxed in the bars and they had entertainment to keep us occupied which was great. I could go on and on. We are already recommending Centara to everyone we see since our return. Book it you won't be dissapointed!!!

Thanks Centara
Kristy and Nick Noble

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kristy N
There are newer reviews for Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I must start by apologising for the lateness of my review as my girlfriend and I stayed at this resort last year. I guess I am writing this now due to the fact that we have just booked our next holiday and I am disappointed that we are not returning to the fantastic Centara Grand Resort in the Maldives.

My girlfriend and I had our best holiday here and one day we will return to this paradise island.

We stayed in a Beach Suite on the side of the SPA Cenvaree and could not fault the location or accommodation! The Suite was fantastic and had a beautiful private outside shower/bath area with a huge indoor bathroom and lounge with a perfect bedroom upstairs. The beach on this side of the Island was so quiet that it felt like we were on our very own deserted Island at times which was truly an unforgettable experience. We also had some amazing fish to look at while snorkelling within shallow waters.

While writing the review I have reminded myself what a superb holiday this was on the basis that it only feels like yesterday that I visited when it is almost a year ago! I really want to go back now!

The food was out of this World and even today my better half and I still compliment how wonderful the selection and how fresh all of the food was day and night.

Words cannot describe how good this place really is and I would recommend it to all.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mark S
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We booked our honeymoon via Atoll Paradise which we came across online while searching for Maldives local agent. We were delighted and very happy with their service and they are very trustworthy especially when it comes to dealing the payment via online. When we reached the Male, we were warmly greeted by Atoll Paradise's staff who then assisted us with transportation from airport to our hotel (even though we did not book through Atoll as we reached at night). The staff was there again at out hotel early in the morning to assist us with the luggage and ensure we get to the seaplane.

When we reached Centara, we were amazed and awestruck with the place! It is perfect for honeymoon couples! Even though our jacuzzi weren't working ideally despite being repaired few times, we still enjoyed our stay there! We were spoilt in terms of food choices! The house reef is amazing. My husband and I saw few reef sharks, right outside our watervilla! It is a totally great time for relaxation. Never knew what is meant by relaxing until we came to this place for our honeymoon!!

Upon our check-out, we were greeted once again by Atoll's staff who were waiting for us at the airport. Seeing that our flights back to Malaysia is at night, the staff took us around the city and did a great job in introducing the city. We really enjoyed ourselves and we felt really safe knowing that Atoll Paradise really put in the effort to take care and ensure we are well taken care of. Bravo to Atoll Paradise!

What else could we ask for? Trustworthy travel agent and perfect honeymoon getaway!

We will definitely return to Maldives in the near future! And definitely we will approach Atoll Paradise again!

We highly recommend Atoll Paradise!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HoleedayLover
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I still don't have that answer. But to start from the beginning.

I decided, as my next birthday was coming up and it had a 0 at the end, I would like to do something really special. So when I suggested to my wife that we go to the Maldives, the first question was "To where?" - quickly followed by "And what happens if there is a tsunami?". Once both had been answered to some level of satisfaction, I started looking for the resort. Now I'm sure if you are reading this, you have done or are doing the same. There are LOADS of them. And the price variation is staggering. I found resorts from US$300 per person up to US $2000 per person PER NIGHT and that's without food and drink.

So when I eventually found the Centara Grand with a fully inclusive price which was, in reality, VERY reasonable, I wondered. How come its so cheap in comparison? What will the others have that this one doesn't? Will the food be disgusting? Will it be 4.5 star as advertised? What facilities will it have? Will I need to upgrade to Island Club to get what I want?

I read TripAdvisor reports and decided that what a lot of people said was hopefully accurate so I told my wife - I'm booking. I started with the lead-in beach room. Then thought no, its a special occassion and went for the over water room. And as it was a special occassion, we decided on the over water sunset view luxury room! With no further room to upgrade to, all was good till she-who-must-be obeyed suggest we spoil ourselves and go for Island Club. What could I do? Pay the money and look forward to the trip.........

We landed in Male airport and were met by the Centara rep - he was fantastic. Took our luggage and was with us basically to the sea plane terminal where we checked in for the flight over to the island. As I had never been in a sea plane, this was on my bucket list of things to do. All I can say is loud but AWESOME. Now even my good lady said that if there is a problem with the plane, there will be no problem with the landing................ and she does NOT like flying!

We arrived at Centara Grand and were met by a lovely young lady, Anastasia. With a smile that was warmer than the weather - a wonderful 30+ degrees - we were taken to our Island Club facility to sign in and cool off with fruit juice and cocktail - it is also fully air-conditioned. There we met Sinta who was to become our life saver and consant attendant for whatever we wanted. She has an awesome sense of humour and kept us laughing all the time. Her style of humour was also fantastic - I have that quick sharp English one-liner sense of humour - the number of times she came back quick as a flash with an answer that just blew me away and made us all laugh. We will never look at tomato soup in the same way again - it will always be Virgin Bloody Mary soup from now on.....

We were taken to our room - and were blown away by it. Not just a fantastic bedroom with superb bathroom facility, it was indeed west facing with incredible sunsets, it overlooked the most stunning coral I had ever see. The water was teeming with life - fish of every colour and shape were swimming three feet under our balcony. Down four steps and we were swimming with them, as well as snorkelling. We saw everything from reef sharks (totally harmless and NOT attracted to humans) to dolphins to turtles. And the water was warm.........

Now - I did say I was worried about the food. I have been to 'all inclusive' places before where on the 4th day you are ready to eat your own arm rather than face the same bland prison slops you just had for the previous tortured days. Well........................... the food is SPECTACULAR. In the main restaurant, the dinner menu changed every single night for the whole 8 nights we were there. You never got the same dish twice - though some nights I wished would be repeated, it was that good. And there are 3 such restaurants (4 if you add Island Club). Lunches are equally as good, as are breakfasts. And you go back as often as you want - note here the 4kg extra weight that arrived home.................. Here I must mention the boys who kept the beer coming whilst we were eating - Ayya and Arushad - the comedy duo! They bounced off each other, they made jokes, they laughed, they knew what we were drinking and we never had to ask for anything. They were attentive, polite, eager to please and to help. Twin treasures, honestly.

You also have the two bars (3 if you include Island Club). We had a pub-crawl most nights back to our room.........

I've mentioned some staff by name - but EVERY memeber of staff was simply fantastic and couldn't do enough. Always smilling, always asking how you are, always ready to assist - from the room service staff to the bar staff - even the boys in the water centre and those who took us fishing - a massive thank you for making our stay fantastic. And a very special thanks to Hamish who sorted our flight back to Male for us - he's the front office manager and is a really top bloke!!!

Oh - I mentioned fishing. If you are reading this and are a fisho like me, then all I can say is - give it a try. They have a night fishing deal for $40 (if I remember correctly) or you can hire their deep sea fishing boat for $500 plus taxes for a 4 hour session - this is the one I went for with a chap from the UK joining me to make the cost less painful. Was it worth it? The 7ft sailfish I caught was most certainly worth it for me. The 3.5ft wahoo was simply a bonus.......... Decide for yourself here, we all know how fishing goes........

So - what did we think in the end of Centara Grand Island Resort and Spa? We spent a whole week doing absolutely nothing (except drinking, eating and sunbathing), loved every second of it, didn't have enough time to do everything the island offered and regretted not going for 2 weeks.......... Is there anything to complain about? Yes - our air-con wasn't working properly when we got to our room, but was fixed within half an hour after we spoke with the front desk. We 'complained' about the food - too much choice, all too delicious not to try and too good not to go back for seconds. Our beds were hard, but we're used to a hard bed, so coped very well.

I also guess there are other things you could moan over - but you would be one of those people who so needs to get a real life. Yes, there are things that need attention - there was a bit of tile grout coming away in our bathroom. The board walk had a few weathered boards and was lifting in places (I was told by friends who stayed on after us that the day we left a ship load of planks arrived and they started replacing them the day after). Some of the sea walls are made from sandbags to hold back erosion - so what? We saw some cockroaches and geckos and some extremely large bats - hey, its an island at the equator and has wildlife......... stay at home if you don't like that sort of thing. We were stunned by the beauty, the resort, the staff, the facilities........ Would we go back? Like a flash. Would we recommend to friends? Already have.

Oh - maybe I should mention the Island Club. Is it worth it? To us, most definitley. There are only 25% of rooms that can book it. It was quiet - we had the swimming pool to ourselves most of the time - most importantly, no screaming kids, they all went to the big pool. The attention we got from the staff was first class without doubt (must mention Shimila here as she was out every 15 minutes asking if we were alright or wanted a drink - basically she and Sinta were there constantly looking after us). Also, the Club room is air conditioned - perfect to sit there with a cocktail in the early evening pre dinner and cool down. And the drinks themselves - though everything is all inclusive, the drinks are so much better at Island Club. You should of seen the girls serve us our Baileys nightcap...................

So to finalise - is the place worth it? Certainly. Is it better or worse than other places? You need to ask someone else - but I cannot imaging what the $2000 a person resort can offer that would beat this...........

Go and find out yourselves. ENJOY!

Room Tip: We had room 61, the luxury sunset water villa - right at the end of the boardwalk. Spectacular. Our...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank George C
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed at Centara as a group and with our two small children aged 3 and 1 yrs old. 8 of us in total.

We stayed March 2012.

We loved this island. I have been to quite a few islands (stayed at 7 others and visited a couple others the last few years). I was very hesitant about booking this island as I was under the impression it would be an ugly island. I actually only decided to give it a try as we pulled up with the seaplane at this resort 4 months earlier when we went to a different resort and I thought it actually looked pretty nice.. So when we got a really good quote we decided to give it a try. We have certain criteria when booking as we have to choose “family” friendly resorts so this puts a limit on which islands are suitable.

Centara was perfect for what we wanted. Arriving you are seated in a very lovely over water bar area. Centara has a very nice lagoon. Yes the island is filled up by a lot of facilities but I actually liked this island very much. A nice lagoon and white sand is what I love. The less amount of vegetation I didn’t mind as there were hardly any mosquitos. So I was very happy. You only see the concrete walls during low tide. These are much less ugly then a lot of resorts I have been to. (For example we thought the walls were really ugly at lily beach with green netting and permanently out of the water.) The facilities are very modern. I really loved the over water bar area.

The rooms. We wanted family over water which were full so we only had beach villas. Prior to our stay the family over water did come available for the last 4 nights of our 6 nights. We thought the beach villas should be nice and thought we won’t want to move while we were there with all our luggage. But I have to point out for families the stairs for a 1 year old are not a great idea. We have stairs at home so just thought we’d block them. Which we tried to, but we ended up deciding to move to a family water villa. The view from our beach villa was pretty blocked out by vegetation so we wanted a view as well. We could only get one for 3 nights in the family over water. But these are much much better in my opinion! There was no question for me which was better and my 3 year old and I snorkeled straight off the front! This villa was just fantastic! No comparison it blew us away! As far as I know Centara have the only toddler proof over water villas in the Maldives. If you have small children I would choose these over the beach villas.. Our beach villa got sand everywhere throughout it and the stairs were just a pain. The water villa made our stay. They are much better in all ways. The beach villas were showing a bit of wear already. Seemed a bit cheaply made in my opinion but still very nice. Just an observation. Our beach villa was flooded everyday and extremely dangerous with the tiles being really slippery. The drain in the shower seemed blocked and the water was running everywhere. We did ask for it to be fixed but we moved to water villas anyway. I hope they fixed it for the next people.

The food was fantastic! I really love Thai food and Maldivian. The food was mostly Thai influenced and was very high quality. They had themed nights in the buffet at night. All very nice. As we were a group it was nice to have the same waiter everyday! I would say he was the most amazing waiter we have ever had and we have had some fantastic ones! He served us pretty much alone and we were always looked after first class. He was such a genuinely nice man. His name was Ahmed. Can’t thank him enough! Really made our stay a pleasure!!

The all inclusive was excellent. I thought it was more then adequate! Not the most selection I’ve had in the Maldives but very adequate. More then enough to please all of us.

We had a babysitter some nights. A very nice lady who took great care of our children at night when they were too tired to go out for dinner. So we ordered them some room service and they got some sleep. Rather then them having to stay up past 7pm to eat.

We also did one of the best excursions we have ever done. If you have a special occasion I really recommend doing the private island for a day by yourselves. This was amazing. My husband and I got dropped off by ourselves for the day. They packed beautiful food including lobster. So much food we couldn’t get through half of it. It was such high quality. Best picnic lunch I’ve ever had. We had a large esky of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks! My only problem with the day is it went too fast!! Amazing location to spend the day!!!

My only big complaint about Centara… Make sure you get the room category you want booked prior to arriving. My agent (she’s fantastic) gave me the upgrade price before we left. At that time (and having not been to the island) thought we would be happy just in a beach villa as i said before.. As she could only get us 4 nights out of the 6 we decided to not do the upgrade prior to leaving as we wanted the full 6 nights to save the hassle of moving. The price to upgrade on the island was absolutely ridiculous in comparison to the agents. The island was $290 per night compared to $110 per night via my agent. Now I don’t mind a difference but that is crazy. I understand that agents get different rates etc but knowing the price and to be given that you feel trapped on the island to pay the difference and I just felt ripped off. I complained about it and I was allowed to book the upgrade through my agent while at the resort. I find that odd but that was fine by me. So I did. Who wouldn’t? Michelle from Scaevola travel sorted it out straight away and it was done! If anyone is looking for a great agent the Maldives I recommend booking through her. First class service every time from her. Also Ali that picks up from the airport to escort u to your transfer always makes it a pleasure and is very helpful.

The only other thing I’d have liked in the water villa was a regular sun lounge. It had a big double sitting chair and bean bags on the deck.. But I’d have preferred to lay out in the sun on my deck on a normal sun lounge. Again not a problem but it was too sweaty to sit on a bean bag which was like a plastic material. Just a suggestion. I guess the bean bags are good for kids and are different to any other place I have been.

Snorkelling was beautiful. It was absolutely breathtaking straight off our water villa. The clarity, colours and fish kept my son and I happy for hours! He is only three and was swimming with a swim ring and some goggles. He enjoyed himself so much. He couldn’t believe it!!! I enjoy a bit of a snorkel but it’s not my priority. This was the best snorkeling I have done…

We also celebrated 2 birthdays while we were there (one which was mine). They had a cake for both of us. Decorated the beds nicely and we received a bottle of wine. We thought this was a very nice touch to celebrate our birthdays!

Both of my children had a fantastic time at Centara! They were so happy there. Young children even this age can enjoy the Maldives. My 3 year old had such a great experience with the reef straight off the over water villa. Since it was straight off our villa it really was no problem for him to swim with his swim ring with us next to him. He had an absolute ball!!! The 1 year old loved all the attention from all the staff and enjoyed his daily swims in his swim chair! They both also enjoyed all the food selection.

I definitely recommend this island to any families! The overwater family villas are amazing and means you can stay over water with children. We had number 17. I recommend this end of the row (this villa or the one beside it on the very end) It had a really nice perspective. I hope to get back there if we can get it for a good price. I have looked at it since and prices seem much higher. But I really would like to return one day soon!!!It’s very much one I’d put as a priority to get back to.

Room Tip: Family overwater villas are amazing!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank luvofholidays
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We are on our last day of our 3 week holiday in the Maldives and we opted to stay in just one resort, we didnt want the upheaval of packing and unpacking. The Centara Grand is a fantastic place to stay, especially if you have family. There is plenty of reef area to snorkel, pools and clubs for them to be occupied at all times and shattered at the end of the day. The food is great and the staff are the thing that make the Island so fantastic. The resort is kept immaculately clean and tidy. If you can you must visit the spa it is sensational and we were lucky enough to have a gold package which allowed us a 60 min spa treatment everyday - uter bliss.
As I contemplate packing I know when I get home and unpack there will be Moldavian sand in some of my shoes and I know i will be in no hurry to knock it out, that way I can come back to the beautiful beach as often as I like.
So a huge thankyou to Hamish and his staff and all the girls at the Spa.

Room Tip: If you can afford a luxury beach pool villa definatley try to get one numbers 4 - 7 have best beach...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank astongal
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for our honeymoon recently, beautiful island. From the moment we got off the seaplane the staff were so lovely and helpful, check in was easy and seamless. We were a little surprised when we to our room when we noticed that nothing special had been done to acknowledge our honey, took a bit of excitement out of the moment, that was until we saw our bathroom and the view from our deck, it was breath taking!
The food and drinks were so good and loved the diving and snorkelling. The only negative would be that the resort on places is looking a little tired, they were re doing the board walks which desperately needed it which was great. The spa was EXCELLENT. Not sure if I would spend the money to go to the Maldives again especially since the flights were so long and I know we could stay somewhere just a beautiful in se Asia or the pacific. Saying that it was a perfect once in a life time destination and perfect for our honeymoon. I would definitely stay in a Centara property again

• Stayed: October 2012
gmcirm, General Manager at Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Guests

First of all, allow me to thank you for taking your time to post your kind comments on TripAdvisor.

I am so glad to see that you had a memorable stay and you enjoyed your honeymoon in Centara Grand.
Thank you for positive comments regarding food, snorkelling and diving. We are improving our facilities, hence the board walk works are really necessary. I do apologise for this inconvenience during your stay.
It is very important for us to ensure comfort and the best quality service to all our guests.

With best wishes and I look forward to your repeat visit in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Centara Grand Island
#1 of 1 in Huvahandhoo Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island

Been to Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives? Share your experiences!