“A Special Family Holiday”

Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives
astongal
“A Special Family Holiday”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We are on our last day of our 3 week holiday in the Maldives and we opted to stay in just one resort, we didnt want the upheaval of packing and unpacking. The Centara Grand is a fantastic place to stay, especially if you have family. There is plenty of reef area to snorkel, pools and clubs for them to be occupied at all times and shattered at the end of the day. The food is great and the staff are the thing that make the Island so fantastic. The resort is kept immaculately clean and tidy. If you can you must visit the spa it is sensational and we were lucky enough to have a gold package which allowed us a 60 min spa treatment everyday - uter bliss.
As I contemplate packing I know when I get home and unpack there will be Moldavian sand in some of my shoes and I know i will be in no hurry to knock it out, that way I can come back to the beautiful beach as often as I like.
So a huge thankyou to Hamish and his staff and all the girls at the Spa.

Room Tip: If you can afford a luxury beach pool villa definatley try to get one numbers 4 - 7 have best beach...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank astongal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for our honeymoon recently, beautiful island. From the moment we got off the seaplane the staff were so lovely and helpful, check in was easy and seamless. We were a little surprised when we to our room when we noticed that nothing special had been done to acknowledge our honey, took a bit of excitement out of the moment, that was until we saw our bathroom and the view from our deck, it was breath taking!
The food and drinks were so good and loved the diving and snorkelling. The only negative would be that the resort on places is looking a little tired, they were re doing the board walks which desperately needed it which was great. The spa was EXCELLENT. Not sure if I would spend the money to go to the Maldives again especially since the flights were so long and I know we could stay somewhere just a beautiful in se Asia or the pacific. Saying that it was a perfect once in a life time destination and perfect for our honeymoon. I would definitely stay in a Centara property again

• Stayed October 2012
gmcirm, General Manager at Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guests

First of all, allow me to thank you for taking your time to post your kind comments on TripAdvisor.

I am so glad to see that you had a memorable stay and you enjoyed your honeymoon in Centara Grand.
Thank you for positive comments regarding food, snorkelling and diving. We are improving our facilities, hence the board walk works are really necessary. I do apologise for this inconvenience during your stay.
It is very important for us to ensure comfort and the best quality service to all our guests.

With best wishes and I look forward to your repeat visit in the future.
Switzerland
Reviewed October 30, 2012

In brief...

We had a truly wonderful time in the Maldives, not least due to the breathtaking quality of the sand and sea; the marine life is second to none. Within days we had swum with various sharks, dolphins, turtles, rays, eels, and more species of fish you could shake a stick at.

The hotel did play its part by providing clean and comfortable accommodation, varied food of excellent quality, friendly and attentive staff who, most of the time, were efficient and well trained, and, access to some beautiful beaches and reefs which were cared for and maintained by it's staff.

We can recommend the Grand Centara and feel confident that you will be satisfied with your choice.

No holiday in the Maldives is inexpensive but the Grand Centara does provide it's guests with reasonable value. However, if you find an alternative hotel that is offering a good deal then I am sure that you will not be disappointed elsewhere.

More detail...

We travelled with 2 children aged 4 and 6 and stayed in a family water villa (no.18, which is at the end and the only one that offers a sunset view). Before going we were worried about having booked for 13 nights on a tiny island with nothing to do as we do not normally take 'beach holidays'. However, we were not ready to leave at the end and will visit the Maldives again.

Friends, who have also visited the Maldives but stayed in other hotels, all say how beautiful it is, how relaxing it was how they would love to go back, how expensive it is but do not regret the cost etc etc.

The Maldives are surely the World's capital for a beach holiday (and honeymoons... 29 wedding cakes were handed out to passengers on my flight to Male!!) The Grand Centara offers a good value and I would go back again but if another hotel was offering a special deal I would have no worries about trying somewhere new.

Food... The Reef restaurant offers buffet food and during our 13 night stay we only had the same 'evening' twice. The variety and quality of the food was excellent and we found ourselves waiting for the next meal with anticipation. 2 weeks of having to stand up and walk to the food selection did get tiresome (boo hoo I hear you say). The Thai restaurant offers a nice alternative we 3 set lunches that rotate throughout the week and more choice for the evenings. The food is served at your table!! The Italian restaurant provided us with some below average pizzas and we didn't go back.

Service... On the whole, very good. The staff were always friendly and made us feel welcome. The GM is new-ish and we had a good contact with him and made us feel valued. The staff at the reef restaurant will become your friends by the end of your stay and were particularly well organised. Especially Faya who is a wonderful man and our children adored. The front desk was not so efficient. Several cases of miss or non communication of information did lead to frustration which could have so easily been avoided if the staff had been better organised.

Rooms... Comfortable beds, all the mod-cons you would expect cleaned 2 or 3 time daily etc. Not the height of luxury (holes in bed sheets, cloudy double glazing obscuring the view etc) but absolutely fine.

The island... Amazing. Kept spotless by staff. I saw 1 team had the job of raking the beach each day to remove any hint of broken coral. The reefs were in good condition except next to the Reef restaurant where we did notice 2 pipes running out to sea.

Other things to do... The water sports and diving are run by a separate company who are slightly too commercially minded for my liking. Non-powered stuff is free but if they see any sign of inexperience with the material from you you'll have to pay for a lesson. No jet skis etc (which was nice as those things do make an awful racket). There is a wreck to dive to from the beach which is interesting but the snorkeling is so good I wouldn't spend more to dive.

Anything else... Do not take the island club package. It is simply not possible to benefit from the deal. Some of the beach huts do have a limited beach directly in front. Make sure you find out about all the bar specials and themed evenings as they are not always easy to find out about but offer a nice change to the regular drinks on offer.

Room Tip: Families have the option of 2 types of holiday depending on their choice of room. The family water v...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank lvetravelling
Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have been visiting the |Maldives for 31 years & this was the best experience ever. Our villa was right on the edge of the coral reef and was really nice with lovely decking and steps into the ocean. The food in the restaurant was varied and of excellent quality, beef wellington for lunch and fillet steak for supper plus a huge variety of dishes. Every single member of staff was friendly and welcoming and they couldn't do enough to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. I had a stroke last year and they always knew when I needed a little extra help. There were thoughtful touches throughout our stay, life jackets, a rope and safety swimming ring in our room, daily fruit, wine and a mini bar. I can honestly say that we coudn't fault this holiday.

Room Tip: We had room 15 which was on the coral reef on the opposite side to the restaurant and reception, but...
14 Thank rosalind o
Birmingham
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Let me start by saying this is a very nice resort overall. The staff are extremely friendly, the food very good, and the Island is clean and tidy. However I do not think the accommodation we were in was worth the price it commands.

We had the luxury beachfront pool villas island club (there are only 8) having arrived we were given villa number 3. The very second we walked into the villa we could hear a machine noise. I was told it was an incinerator that operates from 8am to 6pm. After a conversation with management in fairness to Centara we were moved to villa number 8 and couldn’t hear the noise. This villa also had a great beach in front of it unlike villas 1-3 as they have a large amount of rocks on the beach making it very difficult to enjoy the beach.

The inside of the villa was lovely but the outside could really have done with a tidy up. The decking is old and tired, the white paint is peeling considerably in parts of the fences (in fact one of the fence panels fell down when we were there) they did however have someone round within 10 minutes to fix it, the downside was 4 hours and banging and drilling to sort it. I was also disappointed with the state of the outside bathtub, I have seen comments on Trip Advisor about this but didn’t take much notice. The Tubs do need to be sorted as the enamel is peeling off on the inside and spoil the look of the place.

When writing an experience on here, it’s only fair to put the cost of a holiday in perspective. For example if you pay for a cheapo week in a resort, you’re not going to be in the Ritz but when you pay best part of a £1,000 per day I think your expectations should be higher even when considering the Maldives which is generally an expensive place to visit. Our holiday was lovely overall but if you are going to book the luxury beachfront pool villas make sure you book numbers 5 – 8 otherwise I really think you will be disappointed.

I’ve read comments that the Island is expensive, having been to the Maldives before I didn’t think it was anymore expensive than any other Island.

I would finish by saying its worth a visit but go for the less expensive accommodation, this way you get all the island has to offer (which is great) without the disproportionate cost of the accommodation.

Room Tip: If you are going to book the luxury beachfront pool villas make sure you book numbers 5 – 8 otherwis...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Flight713
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Me and my husband stayed in Centara for our honeymoon between the 24th of September and the 8th of October. We absolutely loved it and that's why i think it deserves a detailed review.
We were worried about the weather as we thought it was rainy season but the weather was just perfect. it rained only a couple of times during the night and if it rains during the day it doesnt last longer than 5 minutes and to be honest to lay on a beach for 2 minutes while it is raining is quite pleasant.
BEACH SUITE. we were in number 43. it is close to the sport center, reception, Aqua bar and Azzurri mare restaurant. we thought it would have been noisy but it actually gets busy only around 5 and for no longer than 20 mins so the location was just perfect for us. We had a look around the island (it takes 15 mins for the tour of the whole place!!) and probably there was only a tiny spot around villas 19 and 20 where the beach was not nice , for the rest the whole island is surrounded by large, white, quiet beach and stunning ocean views. We loved that the Suite is on 2 floors with a large bathroom and living room downstairs and a large bedroom and en suite upstairs so you don't feel like you are just stuck in a room.
The room was clean twice a day , one day we also had a special flower arrangement on the bed and champagne in the room and overall the island seemed really clean and tidy with refills of fresh water and fruit every day.

RESTAURANTS/FOOD: we looked on internet for months before we booked for this resort and the reason is that sometimes resorts look the same and they seem to offer the same kind of service.1 of the reasons why we picked Centara is becouse the ALL INCLUSIVE package is really good compared to other resorts which normally for AI mean the possibility to use only 1 restaurant. The island has 3 restaurants and 2 bars:

THE REEF is the main restaurant were a buffet of breakfast , lunch and dinner is served and the menu changes every day. There is a broad choice of food . Everything is fresh and many things are cooked in front of you. Even though is a buffet it is not crowded and it gets refilled many times so that the food is always fresh.
Our waiter was Sherry. He was really friendly and the service was excellent
In the restaurant there is also a station with live Japanese cooking. If you are AI you can eat there with an extra 25 USD per person. it was really wort it!
THE LOTUS is a thai restaurant. If you are AI to dine in this restaurant is free as well. The menu changes every day and there are so many courses that is basically impossible you don't find something you like. Of course you can decide to have á la carte menu and in that case you would get a 40 USD per person per day. This was our favourite restaurant. The atmosphere is more romantic and cosy and the service is very good as well.
AZZURRI MARE: As AI lunch is free and it consistes in a choice of pizzas and salads. For the dinner you have the usual 40 USD per person . The food was really really good with lots of fish and italian food even if here is quite expensive.
The CORAL BAR is close to the Reef restaurant and is where they do the evening entertainment. At 6pm every day there was fish feeding and you can see baby sharks , sting rays and lots of kind of fish that show up every day at the exact same time . A couple of times a week they also do crab race and maldivian songs. Overall the entertainment was quite soft which we preferred as being on a honeymoon we did not want "karaoke nights" or anything like that but just some nice relaxing time.
The AQUA BAR: is close to reception and is more quiet still directly on the ocean .

Overall the service was just excellent. Everybody is always nice, polite and ready to go the extra mile to help you.

On the Island there is also a little shop for souvenirs or basic products like suncreams, thoofpaste etc etc. but is quite expensive

THE SPA; Oh My God!!!!!! i just loved it!!! we went twice and the second time for a 3 hours treatment and trust me is not enough!!. The girls are so nice and polite that you start to feel relaxed the second you step in the place. The second time i went i had to wait 20 mins (during which i had free use of both the sauna and the pool while drinking sake !!) and for the inconvenience they apologised and gave me a scrab cream for free! If your idea of a holiday is to chill out and relax the SPA is a Must!

The Resort also offers extra services like Private Romantic dinner and Sunset cruise.
We tried both and are very glad we did.

With The Romantic Dinner we were alone on a little piece of beach which was decorated with lights and flowers and had a private chef and waiter. The dinner was amazing. We had lobster and everything from starter to dessert tasted just delicious. It made us feel so special and one more time the service was nothing short than perfect.

The sunset cruise we decited to go alone and it was worth the extra monay.
You arrive at the end of the Atoll and if you are lucky enough like us you can see dolphins turtles and Manta Rays! with a bottle of champagne , canapes , your loved one next to you in the middle of the ocean with a sky full of stars and the beautiful colors of the sunset it really doesn't get more romantic than that!

I can't comment on the diving as we did not do it but i can say that the crystal clear water alone is worth to come here on holiday/honeymoon. I actually felt like crying the morning we left!

In conclusion we spent the most amazing honeymoon made even more special by the professionalism of the people working in the resort.
Thank you for making it so special and unforgettable for us ! We will make sure to be back soon!

6 Thank JoandChris17
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have just had a 10 day stay in this wonderful hotel for the second time, we were not disappointed we booked the club lounge again and the service was as good as last year, staff seen to our every need and I was unwell one day and had flowers and a get well card sent to the room really lovely gesture and a total surprise.

We met wonderful people from Melbourne and they really made the holiday a memorable one, the room we had was excellent with a jacuzzi on the balcony which was a real treat when we had finished sun bathing all day and a fab view of the beach and the ocean.

If you are looking for a resort to accomodate adults and children this is the place for you, Opas thr manager will see that you have one of the best holidays along with all the wonderful staff, once again a great big thank-you from us xxxxx

Room Tip: Try and book the room with the jacuzzi you will not be dissappointed.
3 Thank lolly57_11
#1 of 1 in Huvahandhoo Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island

Been to Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives? Share your experiences!