Let me start by saying that the good outweigh the bad by a lot. We had a wonderful honeymoon and would stay at Centara again for sure. There were just a couple of things that would have taken the trip from "really good" to "really great".
- Island Club: We really appreciated Shelly, Sinta, Christine, Livi (the afternoon crew) they could not have been better. They were always friendly, helpful, and smiling. We wanted to upgrade to the Island Club primarily for the "premium spirits". I don't know about you but I don't consider Jack Daniels, Gordon's gin, and Stoli vodka premium especially when they have Grey Goose, Bombay Sapphire, and Crown on the island and at all of the bars. For what Island Club costs to upgrade, we were pretty disappointed in what was included. Also, you only get the premium beverages at the Island club. If you want a nicer cocktail with dinner, you have to pay for it. We found that pretty frustrating. Also the web site says that Island Club guests get free WiFi but you really only get 30 minutes per room per day and you have to be at the Island Club.
- Tours: We really wanted to do a snorkeling tour or some sort of excursion. unfortunately they only do certain tours on certain days of the week and there is a minimum number of people that have to sign up. Tuesday was the only day they did the tour we wanted and no one else signed up so we couldn't go. I wish they would work with the other two resorts that you can see from the island to organize excursions for all of the guests.
- Food: The food at the Island Club was not for us. I am sure it is really difficult to feed people from such different cultures. We really enjoyed the food at the Reef, they always had something for everyone. The Thai restaurant was pretty good. We did both the set menu and ordered off the main menu. We also did pizza and salad a few time for lunch. One thing that is confusing is that sometimes you sign a receipt at the restaurant and sometimes you don't. Sometimes the receipt has the "cost" of the meal and sometimes it shows $0 even though it is all included anyway. It all ended up fine on our bill at the end but it just seemed like they didn't know what they were doing and the staff couldn't consistently answer questions about what was included and what wasn't (we got different answers). I would also say that the timing of the meals was frustrating at times. Breakfast is served from 7-10:30 and then you can't get anything until noon. Lunch is from noon - 2pm. After 2 you have to wait until 7 for dinner. So, in the event that you got up late and had breakfast at 10am you felt forced to eat lunch before 2pm because you would be starving by 7pm. I wish they had a snack bar where you could get something light at any time during the day.
Room - We stayed in a Deluxe room (89) and we loved it. It is on the end of the row so you don't feel like anyone else is around. The room is very modern and big. There is a giant tub as well as a big shower. We loved our room.
Kids - This resort is family friendly and there were a lot of families. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of kids that were very well behaved but all it takes is a couple of screaming children with parents that don't care to really disrupt your relaxing vacation. I wish there was an adults only area. Even the bars had kids running around (I am sure they were bored to death). Anyway - that would be a really nice escape.
Overall we really loved the resort. I think the staff made the trip for us. Everyone is always smiling and happy to talk to you. We tipped the staff members that really worked hard for us. We didn't really see anyone else do that but they certainly appreciated it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by a stunning house reef that is a kaleidoscope of colour for snorkellers, and distinctive with its timbered walkways and colonial-style buildings, the five-star Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives is a barefoot paradise. With the Ultimate All-Inclusive concept, your stay is absolutely carefree meaning that all meals, spa treatments, activities and water sports, daily excursions, and even diving are all included. Weatherboard villas, thatched-roof buildings, a white-sand beach and sparkling lagoon are the setting for your honeymoon or fun-filled family holiday. Villas and beach suites are generously-sized (86-159 square metres); the over-water villas enjoy their own sundeck with steps down to the multihued coral reefs. Special villas for families have bunk beds in a children’s area, and you can also enjoy the option of an overwater villa with plunge pool. When it comes to dining, all your meals – and more – are included. Sumptuous champagne breakfasts are available at Reef Restaurant, lunches and dinners are to be enjoyed at the Azurri Mare Italian Restaurant, the Suan Bua Thai restaurant or Reef Restaurant. There are two bars on the island. Voted as Maldives’ most family-friendly resort two years in succession, the island has the ideal family itinerary: activities at the age-specific kids’ clubs, water activities like banana boat and tube rides, water sports, and pool games by thea children’s pool. Anyone in need of some deep relaxation can enjoy the daily spa treatments at Spa Cenvaree, yoga sessions, or simply laze beachside. Beside water sports and one of the best PADI dive centres in the Maldives, the resort’s house reef and lagoon provide fascination for snorkellers, and just off the reef there is a dedicated shipwreck that offers easy diving and a close-up view of turtles and whale sharks, manta rays, and surgeonfish. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Priceline, TravelUp, Fastbooking, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Island Hotel Centara Grand Island
- Centara Grand Island Resort And Spa
- Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives