“Fantastic!!!!”

$23.15*
Maru Koala and Animal Park General Entry Ticket
$127.32*
and up
Small-Group Phillip Island and Wildlife Highlights Day Trip from Melbourne...
$99.54*
Phillip Island Day Trip with Penguin Parade and Maru Koala and Wildlife Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Get in touch with wildlife at Maru where you can pat and hand feed many of the animals. Pat a koala and feed the albino kangaroos, see wombats, Tasmanian devils, dingoes, snakes and more native animals. Then set sail on an adventure at Pirate Pete’s Mini-golf as you putt your way around the Pirate Ship, encounter life-size Pirate figures, the Great White Shark and brave the gold mine under the waterfall. Enjoy something to eat and drink in the licensed Homestead Bistro with views out into the animal park. Come and enjoy the award winning friendly service and atmosphere from this family owned and operated business. Grantville Pirate Festival and other events held at Maru each year, see our website for more details. Finalist in the Victorian Tourism Awards 2011 and 2012.
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I visited the park yesterday with 2 friends and we had a fabulous time. The park itself is relatively small, however the experiences they offer are great. We were able to get up close and personal with a lovely koala and give her a stroke for a small extra fee ( not allowed to 'cuddle' koalas in Victoria ) whilst having our picture taken and being allowed to take our own pics which is usually unheard of! We fed the kangaroos and were able to wander around their enclosure. We also had out picture taken with 2 dingoes who were great fun.
The lady who did the talk about the koalas and dingoes was very informative and clearly knew all the animals that were in her care well and showed a genuine interest in the work she was doing. She was very helpful, willing to answer questions and did not rush us with either our koala or dingo experience. There were lots of other animals to see also and a pirate golf course which we did not use.
All the staff at Maru were very helpful and polite. The toilets were clean there was a large seating area for food; inside and out. We did not buy a meal but had a very generous ice cream which was less than $12 for 3 cones which I thought was reasonable.
All in all a great experience and if I am fortunate enough to be back in Melbourne next year I will most definitely be returning!!
Thank you Maru for helping make a really memorable day!!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I went in January, 2013. The entry price for adults is $17 each. The park is very small but it has three main attractions:

1. Feeding Kangaroos....up close and personal. Buy the food for $2 at entry and hand feed them. They are very docile.

2. Take a picture with a Koala. An extra $20. You can't hold them but you stand next to them.

3. Dingos - you can touch and pet one. There was also a 'Dingo talk' that was very good.

The park is small but hey, it's not everyday you can touch/come in contact with such animals. Also at the park were wombats, Tasmanian devils, and other animals. There is also mini-golf (we didn't play), clean toilets, a seating area, and food for purchase (a bit expensive but that's expected). It's about one hour of so from Melbourne so it's easy to do in one day. Overall, if you are a tourist in Melbourne and want to see the very unique Australian animals up close, this is a good place to go....

1  Thank Italian-bird
MaruKoalaPark, Manager at Maru Koala and Animal Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Hello Italian-bird. Thanks for wiritng a review to let others know about Maru.
We always try to keep the family budget in mind, so in our eating area we offer childrens lunch packs which are very popular and affordable. The kids packs include your choice of cocktail frankfurts or chicken nuggets, hot chips with sauce, a drink, a toy and come in a decorated kids box. The small pack is $7.90 or the larger pack is $8.90 which is pretty reasonable I think. You are also allowed to bring your own food along or use our BBQ.
Hope to see you back again soon.
Neroli Heffer - Manager

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Extremely well kept wildlife park. The animals were clean and healthy, content and I venture to say even "happy". Which is wonderful to see. The staff were very switched on and gave talks throughout the day on their different creatures, which was very interesting, and had even we adults listening intently. The pirate mini golf lived up to the claim of "best in Australia". Our kids were totally engrossed, entertained and at one point a little scared (briefly) in the pirate cave....
Overall we give the place a huge thumbs up. I am so glad we stooped in.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Found this gem via the Gippsland tourist info page. We were after a family friendly activity a for the day that wasn't going to cost an arm and a leg. Originally we were going to head to Phillip Island however something drew me to Maru (I reckon it had something to do with the on site Pirate themed mini-golf and the fact that I could take myself and my 3 kids and have plenty of change from $100).

One thing I required from wherever we chose to go was pram access. This place delivered. I absolutely appreciate that this is a family friendly venue that is pram friendly! We paid for entry and got there just as a koala talk was about to start. We paid extra to have our photo taken with Des the koala ($20 for one person plus $10 for anyone extra). The keepers took several photos to make sure that they were happy that they had gotten the perfect shot (unheard of at most places!) and then I was free to take my own photographs of my kids with Des using my own camera (again unheard of!). The photo was also ready for collection within 10-20mins of being taken. Brilliant!

I treated the kids to an ice-cream at the cafe (which takes eftpos) and was amazed to learn that for a generous single scoop of real ice-cream it was only $3.90! Bargain.

The staff that served us at the front desk and at the cafe were very friendly and cheerful and, most importantly to me, we're happy to talk to my kids (6, 4 and 2). When the time came for mini golf we were pleasantly surprised to see a wells maintained area that was incredibly thought out and was pram friendly! My older two played 3 rounds of their version of mini-golf and loved the pirate ship, theme music and water fall. For the cost of our admission we were able to make full use of the facilities for the whole day with the only extra cost being food from the cafe and souvenirs.

The older two are still talking about the koala park and pirate mini-golf 4 days later and my husband is jealous that he missed out on meeting Des the koala and also didn't get to play mini-golf either so it looks like we'll be happily coming back very soon.

MaruKoalaPark, Owner at Maru Koala and Animal Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Hello 'MrsEvil' and family - I must say you don't sound too evil to us! With two young girls of our own we have a real first hand appreciation of how expensive a family day out can be at some venues, so it is rewarding to read that you have got value for your money. It's also why we continue to allow BYO food and BBQ use as an option for families on a tight budget or long holiday with a need to both entertain the kids but also stretch the dollar.
I am especially pleased that the staff were friendly and welcoming to the children and will pass on your comments directly to them. Looking forward to seeing you back again.
Neroli and Ian Heffer.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Staff were very helpful even took photos for us with koala cost was 20 dollars overall fair price....parrots were fun..kangeroos were also fun to feed..went to a couple of animal parks this was best for koalas