“Excellent food, super service”
Review of The Fleece

The Fleece
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Addingham
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Fleece, in the quaint village of Addingham, has been given a new lease of life. Located on Main Street, it offers the perfect mix of indoor, al fresco and private dining. A traditional Yorkshire bar is complemented by a first-floor Gin and Champagne bar and contemporary function and dining rooms. Old meets new in this characterful venue with breath-taking high beams, traditional stone fittings, bronze bars and some signature Seafood Pub Company finishing touches. The Fleece is an atmospheric cavern of intimate and social spaces, with a warm ambience created by dark oak features, soft mood lighting and cosy open fires.
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Just had lunch here (Saturday 23rd March). Service was efficient, very welcoming and pleasant young ladies. Home- made bread, olives & chilli/tomato as pre-starter were perfect, and our two main courses of pumpkin risotto and shin beef were hot and scrummy! Good value for money.
Will be back!

There are newer reviews for The Fleece

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The stone dog at the entrance has protruding ribs due to starvation which is an odd greeting for restaurant guests!
We arrived at ten minutes to seven and the "early bird" menu finished at seven. We asked if we could still order from it and were told with a charming smile, "Yes, - if you're quick"!
We began with olives, basil and tomato dip accompanied by delicious bread flavored with caraway seeds as our starters were prepared. Pea and ham soup, crab cakes with a light flavor of curry, and belly pork with black pudding. All good.
Main courses were sausage and mash and poached salmon. Well presented and well cooked, the only let-down was the ultra smooth minced texture of the somewhat peppery sausage, chosen because it came from one of the private pork specialists in Ilkley. This was in no way the fault of the cook at The Fleece, but such a bland texture is the hall mark of commercial mass - produced sausage as opposed to 'home made'. However, such sausages will certainly please those who don't like the uneven texture of bits of meat
The wine list is lovely and a bottle of very good Crianza Rioja was sensibly priced at £24. The abstemious member of the party pronounced his fruit juice as, 'capital'.
It was a miserable wet and windy evening but the atmosphere in The Fleece was warm and welcoming. None of us could manage a third course and I can't imagine how the stone dog became so thin, because all the portions were ample and well judged without an over-loaded plate.
The Fleece is worth a visit.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Very disappointed overall. I could start by saying the service we got was brilliant from the front of house staff. I don't know what the kitchen was doing, but it wasn't good. I've had no response from a post on the "CONTACT US" link I made on their web page, outlining my grievances. As you will see from my other reviews, I praise excellent service and good food when appropriate. This sadly, will be a negative review. It started with me chosing Turbot off the menu at £17 - so I expected something good at that price, although I've had Turbot at Rick Steins*, and at the Drum and Monkey, where admittedly the price was higher. (*Considerably!) But it's normally served as a steak cut across the fish, with a large bone in the middle. I got a couple of small pieces that looked like the tail end of the turbot, about 3 to 4 inches long. That was very disappointing, and I wasn't impressed. Then when the cheeseboard options were presented, it looked a really good choice, any 3 from 6 cheeses. I chose the red-devil, a strong cheddar and a goats cheese in a Grey ash rind (Similar to Valencay I imagined) In fact, what turned up, on a nicely presented slate, was very much let down by the cheeses. The cheddar wasn't like a mature cheddar at all, it tasted like it had been out on the side for a while, and it was rubbery and sweating. The Red devil (Red leicester with peppers) was similar, and felt as though it had not been returned to the fridge after a previous serving. The goats cheese simply was NOT served in a grey ash rind, so it wasn't the cheese they described, but it was pleasant enough, but no apology for substitution. On top of all this, our best friend had to return her main course with a long blond hair in it. Come on Fleece, you can do better than this. And, I think you can answer your customer's complaints a bit more efficiently! Steve

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Visited with a friend on a Saturday night and despite it being very busy we were accommodated without a booking. The restaurant manages to create a lovely dining atmosphere in a pub with a real rural feel. The blackboard menus have been replaced by paper menus which may be easier for the staff (and on the eyes) but does lack that certain charm that it used to have.
I chose the seafood, of which there is a good selection, and which was delicious. The staff were helpful, polite and attentive and so the restaurant has it all.
Minor hiccups prevent a full five stars but these were probably due to it being so popular and so busy.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Meet up with friends several times a year here and it never disappoints, always a good choice of local foods, freshly cooked to order, great staff always friendly and helpful, good choice of wines and beers. Definitely will be back.