“GORGEOUS”

Ness Botanic Gardens
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Ness
More attraction details
Owner description: The superb gardens at Ness on the Wirral Peninsular, overlooking the Dee Estuary were founded in 1898 by Arthur Kilpin Bulley; a Liverpool cotton merchant with a passion for gardens and plant collecting. Today the stunning 64 acre gardens have won a succession of awards including Large Attraction of the Year for Cheshire and Liverpool City Region and coveted RHS Gold Medal display garden at the RHS Flower Show at Tatton Park. The Horsfall Rushby Visitor Centre provides a warm welcome to this Cheshire Garden of Distinction. Ness Botanische – display garden by TV presenter and garden designer Chris Beardshaw and Making Waves garden by award winning designer Pippa Probert. Our newly launched restaurant The Garden Kitchen serves quality locally sourced food along with the Garden Grub kiosk in the garden. An extensive events programme runs throughout the year.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Absolutely beautiful place, spent half a day here and thought I would be bored, but was completely enchanted

Director-Ness_Gdns, Director at Ness Botanic Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Ness. It is pleasing to learn that the gardens exceeded your initial expectations - it is one of the challenges of managing a botanic garden to ensure that we provide a visitor experience suited to all levels of interest; from a scientist/botanist to those who have or think they have no interest in plants or gardens but just want a nice place to visit. Ness endeavours to deliver something for everyone and I do hope that you will return again in the near future.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Visited for a groupon cream tea - lovely lovely food! Plus great service despite being busy Gardens beautiful and relaxing quite hilly in places

Thank you for posting your review of your visit to Ness. We are delighted that you enjoyed Ness and the Garden Kitchen during your visit on what was indeed a busy day for the my team - great to see some decent weather at last, lets hope that summer is on its way!

Looking forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We visited on Bank Holiday Sunday and even though it was very busy the food and staff were amazing!!! Nothing was to much trouble especially the Gentleman in the Grey Suit so a lovely place to visit will Definitely be going back!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ness again soon.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Actually it would have been nice to get served - I spent 15 minutes sitting like a plank whilst the obsequious guy in the shiny grey suit went around and too the order from every table that arrived after myself. I made a point of checking with the young lady on the till that I was in time for breakfast service - "yes we serve until 11 so plenty of time" plenty of time if you don't get ignored!
Sorry guys I'll just take my custom elsewhere - which is exactly what I did and I didn't even get questioned walking out - possibly the shoddiest customer service I have ever had the misfortune to be on the receiving end of.
I have no doubt that the gardens are fantastic - but I will NEVER darken the doorstep of the cafe again and I have been most vocal with my friends and family about it too.

2  Thank Debs_Cheetah_lady
Director-Ness_Gdns, Director at Ness Botanic Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

I was deeply concerned to read about your visit to The Garden Kitchen at Ness Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of our café facility, it is of great benefit for us to receive customer feedback, and on this occasion a great disappoint to hear that your experience was less than satisfactory. I must acknowledge that the bank holiday Monday of your visit, was much busier than we had anticipated and the footfall was far greater than we had experienced on past public holidays, possibly because of the unusually nice weather on a bank holiday! I recognise that it was therefore extremely difficult to keep up with demand.
We take great pride in our offering here at Ness alongside our catering parther, and I would therefore be grateful of you would contact me on 0845 030 4063 to provide an opportunity to discuss the issues that were your experience on May 6th.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Ness gardens is a wonderful chance to see a large garden that is a mile away from the very formal and very manicured gardens of the National Trust, it is also set overlooking the Dee river mouth across to north Wales. The staff are helpful and ofer a very genuine welcome, but eat before you arrive or bring a picnic, the cafe is really quite awful. On our last visit (on 6 May 2013 we had to order and re-order a tea and coffee three times before they arrived and the coffe had been standing around for a long while before we got it as it was luke warm and the milk froth had all but gone. The bread was stale, dry and tastless and the ham filling was ice cold. When asked if we had enjoyed the food we brought the problems to the attention of our waitress who said she would let the manager know, but if he did find out he did not offer to rectify the sitution (we never saw him. In fairness it was not the fault of the serving staff as they were run of their feet, but if you are going to vharge £14.00 for thwo rolls and to hot drinks then they should at least be of reasonable quality. Enjoy Ness but avoid the cafe.

1  Thank trippersons

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Ness. We value customer feedback and it is important to us to help improve our customer service. Our catering partner has acknowledged some service issues on the Bank Holiday Monday in keeping up with demand on the day. I have been working alongside the management team in seeking to ensure that service levels meet expectations each and every day. If you would like to contact me on 0845 030 4063 I would be happy to discuss your negative experience with you.