“The best place we have ever stayed!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Ballyvolane House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fermoy
Fair Haven, New Jersey
“The best place we have ever stayed!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

A few years ago, my sister and I read an article about Ballyvolane House in Cookie Magazine. We were so impressed that we vowed to visit while our children were still young. This year, I was invited to speak at a conference in Dublin, and we decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to take a side trip to this magical home.

Planning a trip for 10 people ages 4 to 64 is not an easy task. However, Justin and Jenny were able to accommodate all our needs from my initial email in the spring through our departure at the end of June. The house was spotless, the beds were so comfortable, the gardens were enchanting and the staff were able to maintain the perfect level of attentiveness, without ever crossing over into being intrusive. The two breakfasts and two dinners we had were incredible (do NOT believe posts to the contrary - I would list both dinners in the top 10 of my life for taste/service/ambiance and lively conversation with our fellow guests - and we eat out several times a week) - they even made special meals for my sister who is a vegetarian. The honor bar next to the sitting room was fabulous as well, and kept us well "hydrated" throughout our stay. It also spared us from making repeated trips into town to stock up on beverages or to disturb the staff to uncork wine/open bottles late into the evening.

Most importantly, our children (ages 4,7 and 8) were entertained the entire stay. From exploring the gardens, to feeding the pigs, to collecting eggs for our breakfast, to playing with the dogs on the property - they were happy the whole time. The children even dined with Justin and Jenny's three children while the adults had drinks in the sitting room - as a neurotic New Jersey mom who has traveled all over Europe, America and the Caribbean, I would NEVER have expected to feel comfortable leaving my daughter in a separate room and enjoying a drink with other adults. My husband and I never have used a babysitter or a "kids club" on any of our vacations for our daughter. There is a feeling of safety and comfort when you enter Ballyvolane that is evident from the moment that you arrive - because of that, I can honestly say that I have not been as relaxed on a vacation with my daughter as I was the three days we spent there.

Needless to say, I would highly recommend this hotel to any traveler. In fact, I believe that Ballyvolane House would be reason enough to get on a plane to Ireland as my husband and I are planning to do (with our daughter) in the near future. We also plan to have a family reunion there with extended family in the upcoming years. Thank you Justin and Jenny!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank gmorganlcsw
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Wow, what a review. Thank you so much for staying and reviewing. Thrilled you enjoyed Ballyvolane House and please come and see us again soon.

Best wishes,

Justin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2010

Went for a short relaxing/romantic break...the weather was on our side and we made use of the walking guide (which givces you a choice of three walks). The food was delicious, the only complaint could be that the 4 courses for dinner, not including brownise with tea/coffee is almost too much. Really enjoyed the dinner/breakfast at the one large communal table. The staff are lovely, effecient but not intrusive.
Reccomend the home made lemonade, while relaxing in the colourful garden.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Thank you very much for your feedback. Glad you enjoyed your stay and I have noted your comments about the quantity of food. We now offer a light supper option for guests that don't want to go for the full dinner. Thanks again, Justin
Cape Cod, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2010

We treated ourselves to our 30th Anniversary in Ireland and when we arrived at Ballyvolane we felt special. Upon entering, it was clear we would be sharing a home, albeit a Manor, but when Justin and Jenny greeted us, we felt special. I had inquired about fishing prior to our arrival and Justin had set me up with a ghillie for a day on the Blackwater. Norman was great and taught me to Spey cast but we didn't catch any Salmon that day. The Blackwater is a pretty river but cattle can roam to the edge and not what I expected. Still, I would do it again.

The highlight of our stay were the dinners. Much of the produce comes right out of the gardens. Everything is prepared perfectly and what fun to share a table with folks from all over the world. We had a ball.

To top it off, when Justin found discovered we were traveling for our Anniversary he provided us a gift of his personally made cordial. This is a beautiful home with beautiful grounds with old world charm.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CapeCodTravler
Thank you for your kind comments. Delighted you had a good time and sorry about the elusive salmon. Next time. Best wishes, Justin
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Ballyvolane House in October and totally loved it. We stayed in a number of country house hotels and some city hotels and we liked Ballyvolane the best. It doesn't feel like a hotel at all as it is an authentic Irish manor house. Some of the other places had been renovated and unfortunately lost the original magic they must have had pre-renovation. We owners have decorated the house beautifully with a mixture of fine antiques, family portraits and a deer's head in our bathroom! It was eclectic and eccentric and somehow works. The bedrooms were fantastic too, especially the huge bath and we loved the little touches like the jar of homemade cookies and the elderflower drink. We dined at the house both evenings and the food was excellent - the best we had in Ireland. It's not fussy restaurant style food but simple no-frills country house food. I liked the way they grow the vegetables in their kitchen garden and get all the ingredients locally. We love the quiet setting and enjoyed the gardens and walks through the woods. The owners were extremely nice and helpful and planned a couple of day trips for us. They were friendly while at the same time not overbearing and seemed to know when to chat and when to leave us be. We will go back one day.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Montaguemamma
Thank you very much for the great review. We enjoyed having you here and please keep in touch.
All the best, Justin
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

Me and my siblings sent my mother here for her 60th birthday and she was very disappointed. The biggest disappointment was the food, which you would expect to be special at the price. There was no choice offered and they were all served a very ordinary fish, Skate, with very ordinary accompaniments. The starter was a salad. For 55 euro a head, you would expect something a bit more luxurious than that.

You also have to be back in by 12.30 at night. They don't offer a key and the door is locked at that point. So if you're planning a late night out, you should also pack your sleeping bag.

She also said breakfast next morning was nothing exciting either.

Overall she said it was disappointing and I'm annoyed that we paid so much for a substandard experience.

We also told this hotel it was my mum's 60th, hoping they would acknowledge it in some way as a surprise. They didn't.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank LondonD
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am very sorry your parents did not enjoy their stay at all, especially the food. I would like to assure you that this was an isolated case and not typical of how we normally do things. We grow all our own veg and fruit in our walled garden. We rear our own pigs, keep hens for eggs for baking and breakfast, we lots of foraging etc. The rest of the produce is sourced locally from artisan producers and in season. We always hand out the menus before dinner and check with our guests if they are happy with what is on offer and if not, we are always happy to give them an alternative. With regards to the late night arrival, we often have guests attending weddings and such like nearby and we would normally give out the front door key. I'm so sorry if this was not offered as it should have been. In an effort to make amends, I would like to offer you or your parents a complimentary night's stay for 2 with dinner. Again, my sincere apologies and please let me know when you would like to come.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

Ballyvolane is a lovely house with idyllic grounds and a great place to spend a night or 2 in. It is not particularly luxurious and therein lies it's charm. The rooms are fairly functional in a kind of 1950's chintzy way but have nice bedding and lovely views. Ladies with long hair may wish to wash their hair before staying as facilities ammount to a jug over a bath... The food is good tasty and fresh. Not a gourmet experience but perfectly enjoyable. The service is however a bit disjointed and that is it's small let down. The owners seem somewhat distant and while perfectly friendly and obliging when spoken to, seem to be totally preoccupied with their children who it must be siad are very much in evidence in the building. One therefore gets the feeling that you are staying in a family home rather that a hotel or guest house. We were ok with that for this trip but were left wondering what it might be like for people wanting to get away from it all for some peace and quiet and good service. We would definitely return but not during school holidays.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank peacesearcher
Thanks very much for reviewing Ballyvolane House. Glad you enjoyed it and sorry about the disjointed service. The kids were being unusually demanding and are normally not so visible to guests. Thanks again for staying with us and best wishes, Justin
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

My family and I had a quick stay here last July on our tour thru Ireland. When booking hotels, I really wanted to get a true country house experience and this was certainly it. It's the kind of place you wish was your own - how lucky the Green Family is! The grounds are absolutely amazing - we spent about 2 hours wandering around taking pictures after our delightful afternoon tea. And the house itself is just darling. The service is top notch - from tea, to pre-dinner cocktails, to turn down service and delicious bedside refreshments, the whole experience really was a treat. I wish we would have had more time to explore the nearby town or go on a fishing trip. But that just leaves reason to return!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank TrippinLosAngeles
Thanks for staying with us and for the amazing review. I am delighted you had such a great time. Best wishes, Justin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fermoy
Castlemartyr Resort
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,282 reviews

Been to Ballyvolane House? Share your experiences!